REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Good place to cut out muffler and install new one? Prices? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/602183-good-place-cut-out-muffler-install-new-one-prices.html)

bcrdukes 04-16-2010 10:58 AM

$23 is a great price. Tells you what's wrong before you to go AirScare, pay their rip-off fee and only to find out you failed. :lol

I gotta hit you guys up next year when Aircare is due. For the 2 consecutive years I had to do Aircare, I failed a total of 8 times! :D

Xzecution'R 04-17-2010 01:12 AM

muffler man is better than quiet muffler the guys do good work at a fair price. quiet muffler had me going back to them almost 5 times becaude my muffler was too close to my frame the 5th time i picked up my car, my clutch stunk so bad i went to muffler man and they fixed the problem in 10 mins and installed a differen tip for 50 bucks cash. the people thee are also more professional to deal with.

dilly240 04-18-2010 10:18 PM

hahah just got mine done at muffler man about 50 for like 10 mins work and no complaints...really nice guys too let u drive ur car onto lift and everything lol

EmSir 05-20-2010 10:06 AM

+1 for Quiet muffler. Took my car in about a month ago because i needed to extend my piping. They told me to drive on hoist and checks it out. Reasonable price and did it right on the spot with no waits and you an see what they do.

EgTeegy 05-20-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtC-604 (Post 6884376)
pshh just do a straight pipe

Thats what i got done on my civic! =P Just 2 resonators, sounds sick, without being obnoxiously loud.

Mugen EvOlutioN 05-20-2010 01:33 PM

midas

babydubz 05-24-2010 09:16 PM

Going to bump this.

Wanting to get my resonator cut and replaced with a straight pipe. A friend owning the same car as I said he got his done at Hoegler's for $90 tax in. Any other places you guys suggest?

Phil@rise 05-25-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6909401)
$23 is a great price. Tells you what's wrong before you to go AirScare, pay their rip-off fee and only to find out you failed. :lol

I gotta hit you guys up next year when Aircare is due. For the 2 consecutive years I had to do Aircare, I failed a total of 8 times! :D

It was meant as a joke :p
Thats what aircare charges you if you fail bring those papers here and we can tell you why. If you pass, well it must be working. :D

Up until the past couple months I thought Hogelers was a decent place to go for basic muffler work but recent events have lead me to change my stance on that.
I've used Muffler Tech on a couple of occasions and although pricey the work was top notch

subordinate 05-25-2010 01:47 PM

@Phil,

Yeah, I figured it was a joke when you posted it back then.

Failing Aircare can mean quite a few things, not just a broken cat.

Phil@rise 05-25-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 6964947)
@Phil,

Yeah, I figured it was a joke when you posted it back then.

Failing Aircare can mean quite a few things, not just a broken cat.

You're right but a good mechanic can often look at the report and determine if the cat is functioning or not.

babydubz 05-25-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 6964684)

Up until the past couple months I thought Hogelers was a decent place to go for basic muffler work but recent events have lead me to change my stance on that.
I've used Muffler Tech on a couple of occasions and although pricey the work was top notch

Oh really? I was digging through older threads and it sounded like Hoegler's was the place to go. I gave Muffler Man a call this morning and said it'd be around $48.

Does your shop do muffler work, Phil?

Phil@rise 05-25-2010 06:32 PM

I thought Hoglers was a good place to and I don't like to knock shops but like I said just recently I seen some real bad work and rip offs one job currently in our shop on a jeep and I gotta fix it and another was a referal I made just a month ago for a friend cus I was busy and he got hosed and crap work. As for exhaust work we can help you but we don't do bending I buy mandrel bends and weld away.

babydubz 05-26-2010 10:31 PM

^ how much would you guys charge for my res delete. my resonator sits on a straight part of my exhaust so i don't think there'd be bending involved.

Phil@rise 05-27-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydubz (Post 6967030)
^ how much would you guys charge for my res delete. my resonator sits on a straight part of my exhaust so i don't think there'd be bending involved.

Would you want flanges welded in on the res and pipe so you can reinstall the res if ever needed? And is your exhaust an aftermarket stainless one or factory?

babydubz 05-27-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 6967463)
Would you want flanges welded in on the res and pipe so you can reinstall the res if ever needed? And is your exhaust an aftermarket stainless one or factory?

I got it done at Muffler Man this morning. Great guy to deal with. :thumbsup:
$53 out the door.

Thanks for your reply, Phil!

Lowered_Klass 05-29-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 6964684)

Although I've never had an issue with their work, I refuse to go back to those guys.

I had quite a few exhaust systems done by them back in the day, and was always happy with their work... even though they were the most expensive by far.

Once they started getting into 'other' under car services, they became quite pushy, trying to sell you other services. It also doesn't help, that unless you catch Ryan in a good mood, he's almost always in a bitchy mood. Not to mention, you can tell imports don't really float his boat :lol

Maybe things have changed, and I hope they have. It's been a few years since I've gone to them. But this isn't to scare anyone away, as I haven't heard of anyone coming out of that shop with a crappy exhaust job.

Overseas Auto1 05-29-2010 11:19 AM

we only send people to Muffler Man. good that you went

jimmerz 05-29-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 6967463)

kind of related question
i want to delete my 2nd cat, its on a straight part of my exhaust
right now after the cat is an aftermarket stainless steel exhaust that is slipped on and welded (i think, or it could be jsut slipped on and clamped), the cat is bolted onto wahtever is in front of it by flange,
so the straight pipe section i want to put on would preferrably be flanged on one end, (or both in the case that it wasn't clamped before so that i could put on my cat again if im not happy)

is that labour intensive? how much would u speculate the cost to be around?

gearshifter 05-30-2010 02:02 AM

Question... Mufflerman quoted me about $100 for muffler delete...?
Is that about right? Because I see other people getting quoted for around $50?

jimmerz 05-30-2010 02:43 AM

i did muffler delete once upon a time before my catback (with mandrel S bend) for $90 from hoeglers,
another person did the exact same thing at hoeglers later for $60 and $50

Overseas Auto1 05-31-2010 07:30 AM

you guys all need to show the work you want to the muffler shop. they are going to quote high over the phone. they need to see your job

smk 06-08-2010 11:42 AM

friend had a bad experience at quiet mufflers. mechanic kept dropping his brand new exhaust while test fitting, and dropped his old one (which he was trying to sell btw) from up high on the hoist when taking it off. it was an accident. however theres a big problem with the managers attitude and basically told my friend "its used, u guarantee that exhaust was BRAND NEW when u took it in? dont expect it to look brand new." and then proceeded to say "if you don't like it, just take ur car and go, i won't charge you anything", while his muffler is half off.

would highly recommend not going there.
however personally i've had a great experience at muffler man last week. there is usually a 45 minute to 2 hour wait so make sure you get there early to put ur name down
so +1 for muffler man!
- 9000 for quiet

CorneringArtist 07-05-2010 08:57 PM

Quick question: I want to swap out my pea-shooter stock exhaust, and replace it with a custom made 2.5" catback exhaust, reason being that there's basically NO aftermarket catbacks for my car. I'll likely pick up a Magnaflow muffler. Anyone know how much that would run me at the shops mentioned in the thread?

AVS_Racing 07-06-2010 01:39 AM

around $80 bux cash deal maybe?

CorneringArtist 07-10-2010 02:50 PM

Anyone know of a good place to do the muffler cut out and replace in Surrey, besides Strong Brake and Muffler mentioned early in the thread? Cost should be roughly the same as what's been said, right?

I don't think people here would rely on Budget Brake and Muffler or Midas to do something like this if they wanted quality work...