REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Any power engineers out there? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/603729-any-power-engineers-out-there.html)

darnold 01-23-2010 05:19 PM

Any power engineers out there?

Ive put some thought into taking this program at BCIT or NAIT for the last while now, and I was wondering if anyone who does this for a living could shed some light on the profession.

Ive been chatting with a few old timer steam fitters/electricians where im working right now that think this is a fantastic career to get into... any thoughts?

El Bastardo 01-23-2010 05:21 PM

This should really be in the Campus forum...

antonito 01-23-2010 07:18 PM

My friends wife does this, she makes ridiculous money, but the market is a bit tight as there aren't as many positions as for something like Civil or Electrical.

DC5-S 01-23-2010 08:03 PM

im an P engineer, 4th class.. currently studying to get my 3rd, work here is hard to find.. but if you go to edmonton its much easier.. you will make a killing over there

darnold 01-23-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5-S (Post 6784620)
im an P engineer, 4th class.. currently studying to get my 3rd, work here is hard to find.. but if you go to edmonton its much easier.. you will make a killing over there

Yeah Im actually a B pressure welder working over at Shell Scotford in Fort Saskatchewan, just outside of Edmonton.

Thats what i was thinking about possibly taking to get my feet wet, and if I wanted to stick with it I would go for my 3rd later on.

How did you find the 4th class... large, difficult workload im assuming? Did you study at BCIT?

Blinky 01-24-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonito (Post 6784563)
My friends wife does this, she makes ridiculous money, but the market is a bit tight as there aren't as many positions as for something like Civil or Electrical.

Wow. Power Engineering is very different than Civil or Electrical engineering. Completely different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darnold (Post 6784666)
Yeah Im actually a B pressure welder working over at Shell Scotford in Fort Saskatchewan, just outside of Edmonton.

Thats what i was thinking about possibly taking to get my feet wet, and if I wanted to stick with it I would go for my 3rd later on.

How did you find the 4th class... large, difficult workload im assuming? Did you study at BCIT?

there was a recent post about power engineering in the campus or career subforums, so check it out. If you have a "foot in the door" at Shell, will they:

a) pay for your education (whole or in part)
b) have a job for you when you come out?

I am not a power engineer, but I run across many in my work. For you it sounds like a pretty good way to advance your career, esp since you already have field experience.

slammer111 01-24-2010 12:49 AM

Get ready to deal with an assload of rednecks. I'm not kidding. And yes, it's a very "old" industry, as in "good luck working with anyone below 50".

There is money to be made if you're in the sticks. Vancouver.. not so much.

darnold 01-24-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blinky (Post 6784953)
Wow. Power Engineering is very different than Civil or Electrical engineering. Completely different.

there was a recent post about power engineering in the campus or career subforums, so check it out. If you have a "foot in the door" at Shell, will they:

a) pay for your education (whole or in part)
b) have a job for you when you come out?

I am not a power engineer, but I run across many in my work. For you it sounds like a pretty good way to advance your career, esp since you already have field experience.

Yeah its certainly not a "real" engineering degree or anything... a better job title would be power plant operator.

darnold 01-24-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slammer111 (Post 6784960)
Get ready to deal with an assload of rednecks. I'm not kidding. And yes, it's a very "old" industry, as in "good luck working with anyone below 50".

Couldnt be any worse than dealing with old pipefitters/welders LOL... I shouldnt say that, most guys are awesome to work with and have a great sense of humor. Its no different in my current industry... On my last job the youngest B pressure guy on our crew next to myself was over 50 haha.

I actually enjoy working with older guys more than younger for the most part.

miss_crayon 01-24-2010 05:35 PM

you should pm crazie_gsr as he's in the program right now. might be able to give you some insight.

Supafly 01-24-2010 05:56 PM

i am a 4th class guy...with enough hours for my 3rd...but to lazy.

anyways heres my 2cents....it's very tough to get work as a stationary technician (4thpwr eng) in the GVRD...

the most easy way would to work for chump change in the food industry. Trying to land a half decent paying job with benefits here is next to impossible.

You may have the papers, but majority of employers want someone with 5yrs experience and also have some electrical background...

I would look at another career if you want to get some decent coin in vancouver.

I have been in this field for about 6yrs now, and aquired another career path to suit my lifestyle.

darnold 01-24-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supafly (Post 6785624)
i am a 4th class guy...with enough hours for my 3rd...but to lazy.

anyways heres my 2cents....it's very tough to get work as a stationary technician (4thpwr eng) in the GVRD...

the most easy way would to work for chump change in the food industry. Trying to land a half decent paying job with benefits here is next to impossible.

You may have the papers, but majority of employers want someone with 5yrs experience and also have some electrical background...

I would look at another career if you want to get some decent coin in vancouver.

I have been in this field for about 6yrs now, and aquired another career path to suit my lifestyle.

Thanks for the info.

Ive heard from a guy that went to NAIT that the best way to get your steam time is to head up north for a few years and plug away at one of the big plants like Suncor/Syncrude/Albian etc. Supposedly it makes it easier to come back to the city to find work... I assume its difficult to get into a place like chevron in downtown van?

Im not from vancouver so i wouldnt be too concerned about finding work down there if I ended up going to BCIT.

How did you find the workload in the program? Was it very math intensive? I know that ill probably need to upgrade my math if I choose to pursue this in the future.

DC5-S 01-24-2010 07:20 PM

its grade 10 math, my job is very very very simple.. lol. i work at a place where there are lots of millwrights that fix all problems.. its kinda bad for me because i dont get much hands on experience, but i do regular maintenance such as changing gauge glasses, compressor oil, filters, greasing bearings etc etc.. but the pay is okay, $22.50, but great benefits and RRSP match and year end bonus.. my uncle is a cheif engineer at a hospital in BC, i plan to get my 3rd soon (im also lazy like supafly lol, coudl have gotten my 3rd last year), and once i get it hopefully work in a hopsital.. you can expect to make anywhere from $17+ an hour as a 4th class.. from what ive heard from others

C5_Ryder 01-24-2010 11:20 PM

I am a 4th class, Jobs are plenty if you have experience. Majority of the people I know are making about $25-30 bucks an hour. It's definitely a trade that died about 10 years ago but now has a lot of younger kids taking it. A couple of guys I know are making 100k plus, all under 30 years old. Don't take it if you dont like to get dirty or turn wrenches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5-S (Post 6785737)
its grade 10 math, my job is very very very simple.. lol. i work at a place where there are lots of millwrights that fix all problems.. its kinda bad for me because i dont get much hands on experience, but i do regular maintenance such as changing gauge glasses, compressor oil, filters, greasing bearings etc etc.. but the pay is okay, $22.50, but great benefits and RRSP match and year end bonus.. my uncle is a cheif engineer at a hospital in BC, i plan to get my 3rd soon (im also lazy like supafly lol, coudl have gotten my 3rd last year), and once i get it hopefully work in a hopsital.. you can expect to make anywhere from $17+ an hour as a 4th class.. from what ive heard from others

Greenstoner 05-04-2011 01:19 PM

edited.... bumping the wrong thread.. thought this one was in campus forum

DC5-S 05-05-2011 08:53 AM

Anyone got any job leads?
Posted via RS Mobile

MaGNuM16 05-06-2011 05:49 PM

good old ewos ! hahah i remember talking about revscene with u dc5. the guy with the orange cobalt.

03c0upe 05-17-2012 10:33 PM

hows the job outlook, i am planning to take power engineer general program

DasHooch 05-17-2012 11:04 PM

Try calling a place called Neucel, there's worse places to live than the North Island. I don't know if they are still looking for power engineers, but it's worth a call. They definitely have boilers. Catalyst still has some plants up there too.

Over9K 05-18-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slammer111 (Post 6784960)

:suspicious:

Nightwalker 05-18-2012 04:35 AM

My friends are in Power Engineering (4th class) but I'm looking at Instrumentation Engineering Technology. Their older sister and her husband are power engineers (Suncor) and make incredible money. Enjoying insane lavish vacations and seem to be happy.

From my research instrumentation seems to have more potential pay, and opportunities to run your own business or use the skills in different industries. Plus it seems that there's more variety in the actual work and challenges to keep me interested.

I've heard the course work is very similar to the first 2 years for Electrical Engineering.

Anyone here have good feedback on one versus the other?

GLOW 05-18-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antonito (Post 6784563)

he's not talking about that type of engineering.

RabidRat 05-18-2012 01:09 PM

^ Haha yeah I was confused at first too. The Power Engineering I'm used to hearing about is designing power distribution networks, transmission lines, specing dams and generators, etc, and I imagine the money is pretty good, but limited in the job market as all we really have here is BCHydro I'm guessing.

Someone needs to figure out a better way to distinguish the two lol

GLOW 05-18-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabidRat (Post 7922363)
^ Haha yeah I was confused at first too. The Power Engineering I'm used to hearing about is designing power distribution networks, transmission lines, specing dams and generators, etc, and I imagine the money is pretty good, but limited in the job market as all we really have here is BCHydro I'm guessing.

Someone needs to figure out a better way to distinguish the two lol

you can tell by the way they describe the work. what you described is the engineer where you get a degree, get a stamp and P.Eng. title. They'd probably call themselves electrical engineers not power engineers.

what is described in the thread will be class x for the level i believe. i'm not familiar with this but i think it's more of a trade where PEng's have what i call office hands :)

03c0upe 05-20-2012 11:20 AM

What pay rate can you expect by taking power engineer general. level 4?