REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #26
RS Peace Officer

Being in a cross walk you do have the right away even if the light hasn't been pushed. That being said, don't always assume that everyone knows you have the right away and walk because "I'm in the right." If you do that on a regular basis you are going to end up going through somebody's windshield. I am always extra cautious when crossing a street on foot because I know if there is an accident that is a human vs a car, the car will win. Always push the button when you are in a cross walk with the option because it is that extra little bit of safety.

There is no law that it is illegal to finger a cop and he can't give you a ticket for doing that. Even though there is no law saying you can't do that, why would you finger anybody? Even if it isn't a cop what does it accomplish? You are going to get one of two reactions from the driver. One, they will have made an honest mistake and will feel bad about what they did, or two, they will stop and be pissed off. With option two, you never know how far that situation could escalate. Your life isn't worth fingering somebody.
Advertisement
Five-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #27
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I fingered him to let him know how I felt about the situation

There was no way that he didn't notice me and the fact that it was a cop I think made it more deserving as he should have stopped. These are the people we trust to up hold the law but clearly he didn't want to stop or even slow down.

I know I know, it doesn't accomplish anything but I am one of those guys who speaks freely and likes to let people know what's on my mind. Normally I try to be as courteous as possible but that goes out the window when common courtesy is not present. In this situation I felt that by clearly ignoring me and continuing on he did not show common courtesy so does not deserve any in return.

Just how I feel
Old 02-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #28
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
One thing about fingering a Cop...there are 3 spaces on each VT and 25 VTs per book. We get paid by the shift...and if you keep talkin', I can keep writin'. I hear the testimony in court now...yer Honour, I fingered the Cop and for no good reason he just pulled me over and harassed me. Nothing like kicking a sleeping pit bull and complaining when ya gits bit!
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #29

correct me if I'm wrong as I have limited knowledge of the law

but in this situation can I not leave at any time?

I mean I have not committed any crime and thus the conversation with the cop would be voluntary, I could then have just fingered the cop, said my piece and left. From what I understand the police can stop you and ask you questions but you can leave at any time unless you are actually detained in which then you can only be held for a reasonable amount of time for the police to investigate any suspicions.

Just want to get confirmation on that as I wouldn't want waste both the polices time as well as mine on something trivial as this. If so I'll just walk away next time.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:23 AM   #30
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
If you are not legally detained for an investigation, for court purposes, or under arrest, you are free to go. The case here may be "investigation". Not sure what sort of investigation could be underway but there would have to be a legal basis for detention and a simple "fingering" with no other activity involved, would not seem to give grounds.

In the situation you briefly told us above, there may have been some discussion about where you were on the crosswalk in relation to the car, as pedestrians can't just walk out so closely that drivers can't stop in time. NOT saying that was your case, as the only two people who know are you & the driver.

Rights of way between vehicle and pedestrian
179 (1) Subject to section 180, the driver of a vehicle must yield the right of way to a pedestrian where traffic control signals are not in place or not in operation when the pedestrian is crossing the highway in a crosswalk and the pedestrian is on the half of the highway on which the vehicle is travelling, or is approaching so closely from the other half of the highway that he or she is in danger.

(2) A pedestrian must not leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle that is so close it is impracticable for the driver to yield the right of way.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #31
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
ya cops always power trip when you finger them/ call them names... i was driving down main st, a cop was pulling out of a gas station. my buddy in the back seat saw him and said "theres a pig coming out" right as we were driving past the cop. aparently the cop saw my friend say "Pig" and pulled me over... he tried so hard to find something to give me a ticket for. checked all my windows for tint, checked the gap between the tires and my fenders, checked everyone's IDs, checked my headlights, all my turn signals... spent about 20 mins in his car running all of our ID's... couldnt find anything wrong... he then came back and said to my friend in the back, "Next time you think you're tough call me a pig to my face".... then gave us all back our ID's and left.... lol gotta love these guys that got bullied in high school and became cops to get back at young people...

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
"Next time you think you're tough call me a pig to my face".... then gave us all back our ID's and left.... lol gotta love these guys that got bullied in high school and became cops to get back at young people...
Not to defend anyone intended but.... if somebody were to throw profanity at me and I have the power to create grief in retaliation to that person, I would make full use of it.... back to the good o' voodoo dolls for me. j/k.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote