REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Fingering a cop

So couple days ago

I was walking across the street in North Van on Esplanade, theres a big crosswalk that flashes yellow lights when you press the button however I noticed a gap and started to walk without having hit the button. As I was almost 1/2 of the way across a grey car goes driving by clearing not slowing down or nothing and stops at the red light ahead.

I get to the other side and start flipping off this car for not yielding and it turns out to be a undercover cop. He throws on his sirens and starts giving me feedback for flipping him off. Of course I started saying how I thought it was the law to yield to pedestrian crossing a crosswalk, that only seemed to get him more upset and he said that he could ticket me for finger him and that it was illegal to do so.

So now on to my question, is that true? Can you not finger a cop?
Advertisement

Last edited by skidmark; 01-31-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

did u have to stop for him? u said u were not even half way, so i guess him going through doesnt really affect you?
probably not illeagal or else he wouldve done something about it.
simsimi1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

next time tell the cop to take a hike, he's just playing with you

Last edited by skidmark; 01-31-2010 at 07:45 PM.
SMDBICH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
would have helpd your argument if you had pressed the button.
Posted via RS Mobile
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
unless the lights were not working, it is up to the pedestrian to press the button to alert on coming cars your about to cross.

Technically you can keep going if the lights aren't flashing, just have to slow down and keep going.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
should've told him to put his money where his mouth is , and write you up a tix for fingering.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #7

What can he charge you with? Slander? Obstruction of justice? I think he was just power tripping over you.

However, I dont think you are entirely in the right as you should have pressed the light. Not sure whether or not this would be counted as jay walking
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

maybe you should stop thinking like you own the road and that cars must yield to all pedestrians
jeff_alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Even if it was illegal you could make the argument you did not know he was an undercover copper
Posted via RS Mobile
azzurro32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
once i was sitting at an intersection and this yellow corvette with the top down is waiting to turn left.
there was a cop at the other side of the intersection and he flipped her off before making his turn very obviously.
she flipped on her lights and pulled him over lol.
i doubt he got a ticket for that but she probably gave him a really hard time.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
I bringith the lowerballerith

Not illegal to raise your middle finger at someone, however the vehicle (be it police vehicle or civilian) had the right of way in that situation. Take the extra fraction of a second and press the button.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
im pretty sure whether or not the light was pressed cars have to yield to the peds that is already in the process of crossing the street at the DESIGNATED crosswalk.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #13
Retired Traffic Cop

There is nothing he can do about the finger part, but there is no sense calling attention to yourself if there is any potential at all for him to find something else to deal with.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #14

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
im pretty sure whether or not the light was pressed cars have to yield to the peds that is already in the process of crossing the street at the DESIGNATED crosswalk.
Ummm. No. Just like sho_bc said, you would only have the right of way as a pedestrian if you use the button to trigger the stop lights. It's no different than being at a vehicle intersection and walking across the road because you didn't want to press the button and wait for the light to change. You wouldn't expect a vehicle to slow down for you in that case, and you shouldn't at a stop-light operated pedestrian crossing either.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:49 PM   #15
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
good to know.. i always thought the flashing lights were just extra to warn some of the drivers that don't pay attention.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:35 PM   #16

what.. really I thought crosswalks could be corss regardless if the lights are flashing or not. I figured the lights are just a extra heads up, i mean there are a bunch of crosswalks that dont have those lights and there are signs thats its a crosswalk where you can clearly see.

He ended up not giving me anything other than threats that he could.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:35 PM   #17
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I suppose if he wanted to detain you for a bit he could possibly on these grounds:

Causing disturbance, indecent exhibition, loitering, etc.
175. (1) Every one who:

(a) not being in a dwelling-house, causes a disturbance in or near a public place,

(i) by fighting, screaming, shouting, swearing, singing or using insulting or obscene language, or

(b) openly exposes or exhibits an indecent exhibition in a public place...

is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

C.C.C.

Might be a stretch...
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

Kinda curious... Did he approach with a WTF you doing attitude?
Posted via RS Mobile
azzurro32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:30 PM   #19

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Hmmm. Upon further investigation (albiet at 3:30am out here) I might be wrong. The specific letter of the law seems to state that pedestrians would have the right of way at any crosswalk, but I distinctly remember seeing a case contrary to that, at a controlled pedestrian crossing. It's possible I'm confusing something I've read about in Toronto and the differences between flashing caution lights and traffic controlled crosswalks. Way too late for me to figure it out tonight though, I'll check into it tomorrow sometime.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:07 AM   #20
I don't get it

The pedestrian will ALWAYS have the right of way at a designated crosswalk (those zebra lines) or anythign marked with that crossing man sign, as long as the pedestrian is ON the road already (even if hes on the other side of the road crossing) you will have to stop and yield until he is no longer on the road

what you were referring to is a pedestrian controlled stop light which are crossings with a flashing green light. (as opposed to solid greens), @ those the pedestrian will not be able to cross until it's red and the pedestrian control light becomes the white lighted man figure

thats what i was taught in GLP
jimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #21
Retired Traffic Cop

In this case, there is no requirement for the pedestrian to push the button to activate the flashing yellow lights. As long as they yield if necessary before stepping out, the traffic must stop for them, lights flashing or not.

It is different at a controlled intersection, where the pedestrian must not walk unless the light gives them permission to.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #22

nice

thanks for the info

just wanted to make sure i was in the right and not just being a douche
Old 02-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #23
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
As I have been repeatedly told, it's possible to be both!
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #24
HELP ME PLS!!!

Holy crap, I'm surprised how many people didn't know they have to yield to pedestrians at a pedestrian crosswalk....
Posted via RS Mobile
nipples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipples View Post
Holy crap, I'm surprised how many people didn't know they have to yield to pedestrians at a pedestrian crosswalk....
Posted via RS Mobile
scary thought

especially when you see comments like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_alexander View Post
maybe you should stop thinking like you own the road and that cars must yield to all pedestrians
walking across using the crosswalk and apparently I am acting like I own the road