REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
B&E Prevention

So my store recently had two attempted break-ins, as you'll be able to tell by the following pictures:

The first picture was their first attempt. In this one they managed to bust through the cinder blocks and actually into the store.
The second picture was their second attempt. This time, they only broke through the inner drywall and drilled two holes to see where they came out of.
Both times were in locations that aren't visible from a road, parking lot, or any other area that has much in the way of traffic. They're obviously looking for an area where there's expensive stuff, but as of yet haven't found what they're looking for. I can almost guarantee that it's going to happen again.

What I'm curious is what sort of protection or preventative measures do you think would be viable to prevent another attempt like this? I'm not talking about the RS Beatdown Crew, Trunk Monkeys or freakin' sharks with laser beams; rather, things like steel plates over the walls and the like.

Thoughts?
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
I'd say get one of those fake security cameras with the red LEDs, put it outside pointed at the hidden area, and let fear do the rest
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

LOL^^

but all seriousness get a good security system. im surprised yours didnt detect anything
classified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,967 Times in 290 Posts
^

UNCE UNCE UNCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
Comparing A&B with deadmau5? Really? I should fucking slap you

2007 Acura TL
2005 Acura TL....RIP
2003 Honda Accord Coupe V6....RIP
tonyvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Add motion sensing lights, cameras, and an alarm system.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
RS controls my life!

if there willing to do that then theres not much you can do construction wise except thinker walls. Cinder block are pretty hard to break unless yuou have thin cinders, those look thin by the pictures takens
RenoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #8

HAHAHAHAH kool aid man, niceee

and woww they went through the walls both times!? What the hell is inside that they want so bad?! Plant tall thick shrubs against the wall to block acess to it, you know they type that are almost all springy branches. Or if you have the money, a chain link fence right in front of the wall, like 24 inches or so, and sandwiching the shrubs in between, that'll make it a bitch to get to.

You can also pour a cement wall about 4-5 ft high in front of the wall, very close, so they have to climb it to get to the building, but then there's no space in between to swing a sledgehammer or use tools. It'll also stop them from using a vehicle to ram it in the future. Camera won't help because they are probably wearing masks.

Hope this helps

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net

Last edited by CanadaGoose; 02-14-2010 at 07:27 PM.
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

The cinder blocks look pretty damn thin.
yellowpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
Head Moderator

Yeah, the building is made out of thin cinder blocks. I'm not entirely sure what they're after, though. The first time they busted through they didn't actually go inside. The second time they just drilled the two peep holes to see inside. *shrug*
Old 02-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
you must be selling some pretty valuable things if they're willing to go to such effort/risk to get at it =\

anyway, i think the fake things would go a lot farther then you think. but at the same time, depending on what your store sells, it's probably worth going for the real deal (cameras, motions sensors, whatever)

after all, they've attempted it twice before. third times the charm, especially with things like these. i'm surprised your lesson wasn't learned after the first time it happened though
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:15 PM   #12
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,821 Times in 2,505 Posts
hire 1 security guard from 7pm to 7am? having a live person walk the grounds probably would deter people from knocking down walls. but then again, people are stupid, and security guards can be found sleeping in their car or something.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #13
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
land mines
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
I'd say get one of those fake security cameras with the red LEDs, put it outside pointed at the hidden area, and let fear do the rest
And let the camera get stolen?
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:48 PM   #15
SardaukarMod

grow brambles... bushes with thorns. so that they can't get close enough to smash the walls... i assume it's done with sledegehammers? i'm surprised they don't just back a truck right into the store through the cinder walls...

of course, you could go crazy and then install thin steel plates on the inside of the walls... (so that the outside of the building retains the same look)...

i forget what was said but is there a security patrol for the complex at all? security cameras won't do much unfortunately unless there are security cameras elsewhere that can perhaps catch the plate of the vehicle they're using....

and yeah, what DO you keep in there? since your walls are so thin, maybe I'll stop by for an visit myself.
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)

Last edited by seakrait; 02-14-2010 at 10:54 PM.
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!

hire a masonry company to fill up the wall with cement so that it will be a lot harder to break?

Roll That Shit, Light That Shit, Smoke That Shit!

Quote:
(told to me by the stupidest person in the world)...
'Yeah, i've been to taco time before, but i got in trouble...I had a Mexican girlfriend who wanted to go to a mexican restaurant for our anniversery, so i took her to Taco Time"
91LS-VTak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #17
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
The most inexpensive way would probably be to grow prickly shrubs but that can take a while.

Personally I'd get a fake camera pointing towards that area and maybe a few more areas around the store, it can also test how ballsy and desperate they are if they spray paint the camera, cover it, or even just take it away... but these things are cheap to buy.

If that does not work the best way would probably be a good security system.

Hope this helps.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #18

If they really want to get in they will though, unless someone is patrolling. I really want to know what you keep in there! Hahaha

I'm going to play devils advocate to my own post above, but they can still just go buy a cheap ryobi battery powered chainsaw (very quiet), and crop all the shrubs/bramble bushes at very bottom where the trunks are, pull it away, and get back to the wall in no time.

I'd seriously be expecting a stolen vehicle to be smashed through the wall next, you should put down some logs or beefy curbstones around your building until you can figure out exactly what you want to do next.

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
Old 02-14-2010, 11:17 PM   #19
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E N D L E S S View Post
I really want to know what you keep in there! Hahaha
I'll second that.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:47 PM   #20
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

i work construction, give me a sledge hammer and i can take down enough of that wall to drive a truck through in 10 - 15 min.

i suggest you get the brick guys to pour cement down every hole in the blocks when you do repairs, not just the ones with rebar. Its 10X harder to bust through when they are cement filled.
dj.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #21

Okay here's a few more ideas... double check your insurance coverage, buy a big ass safe and have it anchored to the subfloor, and put whatever it is they want inside it every night, they'll probably get in once and then give up.

The only guaranteed way to keep them completely out is someone to physically watch over the place at night, because if that wall is completely unattended for like 6-7 hrs every night, they'll find a way to get in no matter what you do to it. I hate to keep playing devils advocate, but if you fill the cinder blocks with cement, it makes it easier because they can just drill anchor bolts into it, and pull an entire section of the wall down with a truck. Yeah it sounds far fetched, but then again who breaks in through a wall?!

I don't know what you have inside the store, so this might not be very practical, but you can never go wrong with dogs... a few of these guys sleeping inside...they'll go apeshit if someone comes through the wall in the middle of the night lol

Last edited by CanadaGoose; 02-14-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #22
Banned By Establishment

If the made that kinda effort and so and so forth to get through that kinda wall.. then they're totally set to come back.

I'd get one of those prox sensors, those things are pretty good.
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #23
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
3rd times the charm
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:22 AM   #24
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,237 Times in 251 Posts

lol but in all seriousness.. the dogs that endless mentioned would fuck anyone up that's trying to break in or at least scare the shit out of them.

also what other people have mentioned try for motion sensing lights, a camera and a bitch ass shrub to cut down. It's probably the cheapest deterrent if it has any affect on the burglars at all. If that doesn't work hire a guard or maybe make the wall better.

I don't know what kind of area you are in but maybe try letting other stores know? It might be a long shot but if they notice anything suspicious maybe they can let police or you know.
ziggyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:34 AM   #25
Head Moderator

We have some expensive electronics inside, which is what they're probably going after. Coincidentally (or not), the first day we got hit was the same day the local Future Shop was broken into. That B&E was a bit more sophisticated; apparently they cut out a hole in the roof and zip lined down to the laptop cages on top of the shelves, Mission Impossible style. They managed to avoid all the motion sensors in the store that way.

We do have a full blown alarm system complete with motion sensors and cameras, but by the time the police show up, they could have grabbed what they're after and be long gone. Exterior proximity alarms wont work because there's a lot of wildlife in the area. The building next to us used to have exterior cameras, but they were constantly stolen, despite the fact that they're twenty-odd feet up in the air. We've also taken to hiring a security guard to do patrol when we're closed, but even the guard we were given expressed concern for his own safety in case the guys came back while he was in the building... Dogs wont work, unfortunately.

We've got a police officer coming in on Wednesday who specializes in preventative measures to see what she can suggest we do, but I'll definitely bring up some of the ideas that have been mentioned in this thread.