REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 02-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
Well, first I start with a quality steak. USDA Choice at a minimum. Certified Black Angus is never a bad way to go. I like a ribeye or a KC strip, about 14 ounces. I season it with nothing more than kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and some granulated garlic. Then I grill it approximately 2 minutes on one side, turn it over, approximately two minutes on the other side. Then I turn it back over to give perfect diamond shaped cross-hatches for a minute or two. Then back to the other side until internal temperature reads 98.6 on a probe thermometer. That's somewhat rarer than rare. Then I like to make a salad of steamed and chilled green beans and asparagus, heirloom tomatoes, fresh basil, sliced red onion, balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper and pile the salad on top of the steak, allowing the balsamic vinegar and olive oil to pool up on the plate with the natural juices from the steak and create its own sauce.
Advertisement
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #27
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
i had success cooking it last night

and was amazed by the garlic and butter on the steak ... it was sooo good
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #28
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd0n View Post
1)Make sure when picking your steaks, they are at least AAA u need at least decent marbling or its not even worth the money or time.
2)Season your steak, i like Maldon or koshur for my salt, and fresh cracked pepper.
3)Let it rest before cooking(allow it to come to room temperature, it allows for even cooking), and pat dry, nothing sucks more then boiling your steak *puke*
4)cast iron pan (every kitchen should have one, as well as a wok) wait for the pan to be screaming hot (enough that when u drop water in it, it turns into balls) canola or lard, just enough to cover the pan
5) SEAR this is where the magic happens!! Make sure u let the steak get a hard sear, if u try to pick it up and it sticks, its not ready! once the browning is beautiful, flip often in order to move the blood evenly
6)slam that puppy in a hot oven 400 at lest to get to your desired doneness, i like to hand test it or thermo to get it perfect and as well flip often in the oven, no one wants a steak thts mid rare around but blue in the middle
7)Rest for at least 10 to 15 min on a wired rack (extremely important cause you will get that blood that will leave your steak make that beautiful sear soggy) covered in tin foil.
8)om nom nom time

important step that almost everyone forgot. always rest your steaks. undercook your steaks a bit short of medium rare because the steak will keep cooking when you're resting it.

if you don't have a rack. use a smaller plate flipped upside down on a bigger plate. put steak on smaller plate. just lets the steak juice drip down. shouldn't be too much juice if you cooked it right.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #29
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Yeah go ahead and fry a steak in olive oil you dumb cunt
Burning any cooking oil can be bad for you. You shouldn't be using Extra Virgin Olive oil for frying as it has a lower smoke point. (420 degrees as opposed to just a regular olive oil which is ~450)

And you said "any plant seed oil is bad for you". There is no way in hell that olive oil is bad for you, to say so would be such a stupid and ignorant statement and I hope noone on this site takes that type of advice seriously.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #30
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFighter View Post
important step that almost everyone forgot. always rest your steaks. undercook your steaks a bit short of medium rare because the steak will keep cooking when you're resting it.

if you don't have a rack. use a smaller plate flipped upside down on a bigger plate. put steak on smaller plate. just lets the steak juice drip down. shouldn't be too much juice if you cooked it right.
err, shouldnt you leave it in a shallow dish to let it resoak all the juices?
Old 02-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #31
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,811 Times in 8,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
Burning any cooking oil can be bad for you. You shouldn't be using Extra Virgin Olive oil for frying as it has a lower smoke point. (420 degrees as opposed to just a regular olive oil which is ~450)

And you said "any plant seed oil is bad for you". There is no way in hell that olive oil is bad for you, to say so would be such a stupid and ignorant statement and I hope noone on this site takes that type of advice seriously.
I never said all plant oil is bad for you, I said it's bad for COOKING. This thread is about COOKING A STEAK and COOKING AT HIGH HEAT. Things like olive oil, and oils that are actually natural and real are PERFECTLY FINE. But the ones that are used for high heat cooking (rape oil, sunflower, soybean) are NOT.

Stop trying to troll my posts, you'll get owned every time. Now go away.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #32
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Nothing to do with the actual cooking process but...
soak it in COCA COLA before marinating to make the meat more tender.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #33
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Picard View Post
Nothing to do with the actual cooking process but...
soak it in COCA COLA before marinating to make the meat more tender.
My buddy does the same, but with a can of molson. It's a great idea if you have a cheap cut of steak. Otherwise, skip this and go with a good cut of steak.

In other words..

I would love to insult you but you wouldn't understand.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #34
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

^ fuck that coca cola and beer shit. When making steaks, why be cheap about it?
Posted via RS Mobile
yuusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by min.tee View Post
^ fuck that coca cola and beer shit. When making steaks, why be cheap about it?
Posted via RS Mobile
Why be cheap about it? Not everyone has a good butcher shop to go to. Sometimes you're stuck with a craving for steak and the only thing open around you at 11:30 at night is the fucking save on foods. But min.tee is right. Get a good cut of steak. Good marbling goes a long long way to having a steak that melts in your mouth.

In other words..

I would love to insult you but you wouldn't understand.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #36

Soak it in coca cola...............

If you want to make a cheap cut more tender, get a meat tenderizer and slam it good.

Or soak it in a brine solution with a bunch of flavours for a couple of hours (i.e//celery, garlic, etc)
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #37
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Jack Daniels
Old 02-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #38
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

i usually get filet mignons from costco (4-5 thick steaks cost around $30) and put some seasoning on it. warm the bbq up to about 600 and cook each side for 6-7 mins at 425-475. let it rest and then enjoy
sunny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #39
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I never said all plant oil is bad for you, I said it's bad for COOKING. This thread is about COOKING A STEAK and COOKING AT HIGH HEAT. Things like olive oil, and oils that are actually natural and real are PERFECTLY FINE. But the ones that are used for high heat cooking (rape oil, sunflower, soybean) are NOT.

Stop trying to troll my posts, you'll get owned every time. Now go away.
Almond oil 420°F 216°C
Avocado oil 520°F 271°C
Butter 350°F 177°C
Canola oil Expeller Press 464°F 240°C
Canola oil High Oleic 475°F 246°C
Canola oil Refined 470°F 240°C
Coconut oil Unrefined 350°F 177°C
Coconut oil Refined 450°F 232°C
Corn oil Unrefined 320°F 160°C
Corn oil Refined 450°F 232°C
Cottonseed oil 420°F 216°C
Flax seed oil Unrefined 225°F 107°C
Ghee (Indian Clarified Butter) 485°F 252°C
Grapeseed oil 420°F 216°C
Hazelnut oil 430°F 221°C
Hemp oil 330°F 165°C
Lard 370°F 182°C
Macadamia oil 413°F 210°C
Olive oil Extra virgin 375°F 191°C
Olive oil Virgin 420°F 216°C
Olive oil Pomace 460°F 238°C
Olive oil Extra light 468°F 242°C
Olive oil, high quality (low acidity) Extra virgin 405°F 207°C[/b]
Palm oil Difractionated 455°F 235°C
Peanut oil Unrefined 320°F 160°C
Peanut oil Refined 450°F 232°C
Rice bran oil 490°F 254°C
Safflower oil Unrefined 225°F 107°C
Safflower oil Semirefined 320°F 160°C
Safflower oil Refined 510°F 266°C
Sesame oil Unrefined 350°F 177°C
Sesame oil Semirefined 450°F 232°C
Soybean oil Unrefined 320°F 160°C
Soybean oil Semirefined 350°F 177°C
Soybean oil Refined 450°F 232°C
Sunflower oil Unrefined 225°F 107°C
Sunflower oil Semirefined 450°F 232°C
Sunflower oil, high oleic Unrefined 320°F 160°C
Sunflower oil Refined 450°F 232°C
Tea seed oil 485°F 252°C
Vegetable shortening 360°F 182°C
Walnut oil Unrefined 320°F 160°C
Walnut oil Semirefined 400°F 204°C

l2 smoke point.

Again, there is nothing wrong with frying in olive oil. As long as you are using the proper grade, and it's pure and depends on what your frying.

Also Greece has by far the largest per capita consumption of olive oil worldwide, over 26 liters per year; Spain and Italy, around 14 l

Also the life expactancy of greece italy and spain hover around the top 20. And I can assure you that their risk of heart disease and other ailments is also lower than other countries.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #40
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Quote:
Also Greece has by far the largest per capita consumption of olive oil worldwide, over 26 liters per year; Spain and Italy, around 14 l

Also the life expactancy of greece italy and spain hover around the top 20. And I can assure you that their risk of heart disease and other ailments is also lower than other countries.
Japanese cuisine uses no olive oil, and their life expectancy is #1 in the world, and the incidence of heart disease is also among the lowest. What's your point?
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #41
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
Japanese cuisine uses no olive oil, and their life expectancy is #1 in the world, and the incidence of heart disease is also among the lowest. What's your point?
that frying in olive oil isn't bad for you.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #42

Ok lets put this to a rest

Quote:
Q: Does frying food in certain oils damage the oil (i.e. turn the oil into trans fatty acids or, somehow make the oil unhealthy to eat)?

A: The level in which it's "safe" to expose oil to heat greatly depends on the oil's structure (monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, and saturated). First let's look at what can happen to oils when they're heated and then we'll discuss the types of oils that we should be using.

The initial concern of many people (including the person who sent in the question) is that heating an oil will result in the formation of trans fatty acids.

This is a viable concern because these unnatural fats have no place in a person's diet.

Here's an interesting story about nutritional advice and trans fats (humor me and keep reading).

A couple months ago I caught a dietitian being interviewed on a local TV show about proper nutrition for the average person. In the interview she stated that a person should NEVER consume alcohol and they should minimize their trans fat consumption. Call me crazy but shouldn't it be the other way around?? I can think of 3 reasons off the top of my head why alcohol in moderation is beneficial and ZERO reasons for ingesting trans fats. The moral of the story: Just because they have a degree and are on TV doesn't mean their word should be taken as gospel.

Okay, sorry to digress.

Heating oils will lead to the formation of trans fatty acids, but this isn't main problem.

What is really a concern is the oxidation of the fats and the formation of free radicals. Having excess free radicals bouncing around your system is a bad idea. Free radicals have been accused of being a huge player in cancer, heart disease, and aging (to name a few).

How can you prevent trans fatty acid formation and oxidation? Here are a couple steps and tips that you can use to keep your healthy fats healthy while cooking:

1) Reduce the heat. Most of us are always on the go. This can often result in quick food preparation. One of the easiest ways to cook something faster is to cook it at a higher heat. I know, I'm guilty of this all the time. It seems like the burner on my stove top has two settings – off and very high. Taking the extra time to cook your foods over medium heat will help curb heat induced oxidation of your foods and fats.

2) Add a little water to the pan. This great tip comes from Udo Erasmus. Keeping a little water in your pan will allow you to keep the temperature below 212°F (otherwise the water will boil off). Controlling the heat this way can help reduce damage to the oils.

3) Select your cooking oils carefully. The more double bonds (or unsaturated) an oil has, the easier it's oxidized. This is why cooking with flax or fish oil is a HUGE mistake. Cooking with olive oils is a fine choice; just don't blast them with heat. I recommend that you have two types of olive oil in your cabinet: extra virgin and virgin. The extra virgin is the more pure, less refined of the two and should be used on cold foods (salads, protein shakes, etc.) or after the foods have been cooked (on top of steamed vegetables). Virgin olive oil has been processed a little more and is thus usually cheaper. This is the better choice to use for cooking because you won't be paying extra for the antioxidants and phytochemicals that will just end up being damaged and/or destroyed during the heating process (as would be the case with extra virgin olive oil).

For high-heat cooking purposes, saturated fats (coconut oil or butter) or heat-stable oils such as peanut or avocado oil are good choices.
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...ition/man_fuel
Old 03-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #43

My main point wasn't even about health, it was the fact that vegetable oils taste worse than animal fat when cooking with them
Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #44
Banned By Establishment

i agree with that.

try frying eggs in olive oil though
Old 03-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #45

try frying an egg in coconut oil..
so tasty
Old 03-02-2010, 10:37 PM   #46
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by penner2k View Post
so tasty
I like to fry/scramble my eggs in the left over grease from my bacon.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #47
Banned By Establishment

i love eggs.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:35 AM   #48
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
err, shouldnt you leave it in a shallow dish to let it resoak all the juices?
juice of a steak will not go back into the steak, it is not a fucking sponge.
F1 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:48 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by penner2k View Post
so tasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
I like to fry/scramble my eggs in the left over grease from my bacon.
Fry your bacon in coconut oil then fry your eggs in that. It's about as food gets
Old 03-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #50
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,453 Times in 987 Posts
why fry bacon in oil? it releases enough fat on its own.

i always fry eggs in butter. i dont like doing it in bacon fat because it makes the eggs look kinda nasty.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote