REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Driving AT NIGHT with one working headlight (https://www.revscene.net/forums/607219-driving-night-one-working-headlight.html)

tiger_handheld 02-27-2010 07:03 PM

Driving AT NIGHT with one working headlight

I have night classes so i have no choice but to drive.

I'm getting it fixed on tuesday - BUT i have to drive monday night. If a cop pull me over what are the repercussions?

Do I lie and pretend i didn't know - or do i tell him straight up i know , and it'll be fixed tomr.

(related to this thread: http://www.revscene.net/forums/conve...k-t607163.html )

!Aznboi128 02-27-2010 08:08 PM

I would say it's fine, just drive normally and don't speed. From that thread it doesn't seem like your that knowledgeable on cars. If you do get pulled over just let him/her know and show some proof that you have an appointment to get the lights fixed.

Cause in the end your prob better getting it fixed by a pro then to mess with wiring that your unsure of.
Posted via RS Mobile

Inaii 02-27-2010 08:11 PM

Why not skip a possible ticket and take transit instead for one night. Night classes don't go past 3am.

tiger_handheld 02-27-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaii (Post 6836116)
Why not skip a possible ticket and take transit instead for one night. Night classes don't go past 3am.

The last bus from Richmond to surrey stops at 8:30p

my class goes till 10p.

hchang 02-27-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 6836161)
The last bus from Richmond to surrey stops at 8:30p

my class goes till 10p.

Skytrain + bus?

ninjatune 02-28-2010 09:38 AM

Soooo many people drive without one headlight working... Just don't hit anyone and get it fixed soon.

zulutango 02-28-2010 11:10 AM

Let's take this a bit further. Substitute "brakes" for "headlights"...nobody would ( I sincerely hope ) drive with non functioning brakes that only gave 50% braking power. If you drive without 50% of your headlights working and don't see a cyclist or pedestrian and hit them...then maybe lights might also be important ? Is driving without the headlights worth the risk? After you hit someone do you think the courts would excuse you because you were going to get it fixed next day? It is more important to go wherever you "need" to go with ther burned out light, than to hit someone or something you can't see? Up to you.

Soundy 02-28-2010 11:31 AM

"My headlight WAS working until that stupid cyclist hit it!"

hchang 02-28-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6836762)
Let's take this a bit further. Substitute "brakes" for "headlights"...nobody would ( I sincerely hope ) drive with non functioning brakes that only gave 50% braking power. If you drive without 50% of your headlights working and don't see a cyclist or pedestrian and hit them...then maybe lights might also be important ? Is driving without the headlights worth the risk? After you hit someone do you think the courts would excuse you because you were going to get it fixed next day? It is more important to go wherever you "need" to go with ther burned out light, than to hit someone or something you can't see? Up to you.

Turn on fog lights if applicable?

A lot of people drive without snow tires, and a lot of people also drive with tires with close to no tread for a day or two. As long as you're cautious and keep posted to the speed limit I don't see it being a problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6836787)
"My headlight WAS working until that stupid cyclist hit it!"

:haha:

1exotic 02-28-2010 06:59 PM

uhh just drive who cares... if you get pulled over say you didn't know... simple as that.

c32 02-28-2010 07:08 PM

yea i had 1 headlight out for about a week or 2, i just put the fog lights on, cops gave me looks but wth can i do, cant get it fixed for 2 weeks and i aint gona take the dirty bus.. just tell em that

skidmark 02-28-2010 07:45 PM

Of course driving with only one headlight is just one headlight away from driving with no headlights. That would mean an immediate grounding....

jlenko 02-28-2010 10:23 PM

Driving without two working headlights (that produce white light...) is against the law. You risk a ticket, as well as not being able to see stuff and therefore could cause an accident.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 6837614)
Turn on fog lights if applicable?

A lot of people drive without snow tires, and a lot of people also drive with tires with close to no tread for a day or two.

A lot of people do stupid stuff, but it seems to be the Revscene users who get caught and then come here to cry about it ;)

MaximalLazy 02-28-2010 11:48 PM

^

I believe the OP is asking about driving with ONE working headlight, not zero

XtC-604 03-01-2010 12:10 AM

lolol ive used 1 headlight before, projectors albeit which have pretty good output. (better than two halogens i would say, i used my LED audi things and ppl had no problem judging how wide my car was or which lane im in. Is that illegal since technically i do have atleast two lights that provide white light or rather bluish tinged lights. (Stock)

Anjew 03-01-2010 01:15 AM

i drove with 1 working projector for over a month. I've never had any problems from police. i even drove down to seattle during new years eve. just don't drive like a douche and they wont take notice of you. drive carefully and get it fixed asap.

Solo_D33A 03-01-2010 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtC-604 (Post 6838126)
lolol ive used 1 headlight before, projectors albeit which have pretty good output. (better than two halogens i would say, i used my LED audi things and ppl had no problem judging how wide my car was or which lane im in. Is that illegal since technically i do have atleast two lights that provide white light or rather bluish tinged lights. (Stock)

For day time, I don't care, it looks nice on some of them. When it's dark whenever visibility is low, or when the SUN IS BEHIND YOU, imo, you SHOULD use your headlights.

I mean, those audi lights + fogs, can you actually see the road? I definitely think you should turn on your lights when I can't even see your light reflected on the road...

zulutango 03-01-2010 07:21 AM

"i drove with 1 working projector for over a month"...that statement troubles me. You chose to knowingly drive without proper lights for a month? I could see if one went out on your way home...but to continue to drive for over a month, knowing that you couldn't properly, constitutes more than just lazyness. A very bad choice.

Lomac 03-01-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1exotic (Post 6837624)
uhh just drive who cares... if you get pulled over say you didn't know... simple as that.

Pretty stupid, IMO. It's not like you can fail to notice that one bulb is burnt out by how poorly lit the road in front of you will be.

XtC-604 03-01-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 6838519)
Pretty stupid, IMO. It's not like you can fail to notice that one bulb is burnt out by how poorly lit the road in front of you will be.

not true, like i said, the output from 1 projector is better than 2 halogens O.o

Soundy 03-01-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 6838519)

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtC-604 (Post 6838653)
not true, like i said, the output from 1 projector is better than 2 halogens O.o

:facepalm:

So one projector makes a wide beam all the way across the road?

sonick 03-01-2010 01:58 PM

It's not ideal, but I would just drive cautiously with the one headlight. Tons of people have been driving around with one headlight the past few months during winter (not sure if it's the wet/cold causing more burnt bulbs, or the fact I notice them more as it gets dark earlier).

You risk getting a ticket, but I would think the cop would have to be pretty damn anal or pissed off to give you one. Or swing by Canadian Tire and buy a bulb, tell him you just found out and haven't had time to install it.

One thing to NOT do, is to use your highbeam on your single bulb thinking it will compensate for the other one. It doesn't and it will simply blind oncoming drivers. I fucking hate when people do this.

sebberry 03-01-2010 02:42 PM

I usually carry spares with me and change them out when safe. While it is illegal to drive with a burned out headlight it is certainly not as dangerous as driving with half your brakes.

Are you saying that everyone should know how to perform roadside headlight bulb swaps and keep spares in their car?

When a bulb burns out it is usually when power is applied to it when you turn it on. If you are making several stops on your trip, there's a very good chance it will burn out when you are not at home. Is performing a roadside or parking lot change in a potentially unsafe location the best thing to do?

Perhaps if it is that dangerous, one burned out bulb should mean an immediate tow.

Just curious, do officers keep spares in the police cruiser at all times?

jlenko 03-01-2010 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kranky
^

I believe the OP is asking about driving with ONE working headlight, not zero

Yeah.. I know. You don't know how to read or something?

Here's the section of the MVA for you, maybe you can understand that better:

Quote:

4.05 (1) A motor vehicle must be equipped with either one or 2 headlamps mounted on each side of the front of the vehicle and capable of displaying white light.

jlenko 03-01-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry
Are you saying that everyone should know how to perform roadside headlight bulb swaps and keep spares in their car?

That would solve a lot of problems... thing is, people don't even check their cars.. they just don't care anymore.. tires, brake lights, licence plate bulbs, etc... I see a good number of cars every single day that are deficient in some respect.

There aren't enough cops to enforce the sheer number of lawbreakers out there.