REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Driving AT NIGHT with one working headlight

I have night classes so i have no choice but to drive.

I'm getting it fixed on tuesday - BUT i have to drive monday night. If a cop pull me over what are the repercussions?

Do I lie and pretend i didn't know - or do i tell him straight up i know , and it'll be fixed tomr.

(related to this thread: http://www.revscene.net/forums/conve...k-t607163.html )
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
I would say it's fine, just drive normally and don't speed. From that thread it doesn't seem like your that knowledgeable on cars. If you do get pulled over just let him/her know and show some proof that you have an appointment to get the lights fixed.

Cause in the end your prob better getting it fixed by a pro then to mess with wiring that your unsure of.
Posted via RS Mobile
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Why not skip a possible ticket and take transit instead for one night. Night classes don't go past 3am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
Why not skip a possible ticket and take transit instead for one night. Night classes don't go past 3am.
The last bus from Richmond to surrey stops at 8:30p

my class goes till 10p.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
The last bus from Richmond to surrey stops at 8:30p

my class goes till 10p.
Skytrain + bus?
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Soooo many people drive without one headlight working... Just don't hit anyone and get it fixed soon.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Let's take this a bit further. Substitute "brakes" for "headlights"...nobody would ( I sincerely hope ) drive with non functioning brakes that only gave 50% braking power. If you drive without 50% of your headlights working and don't see a cyclist or pedestrian and hit them...then maybe lights might also be important ? Is driving without the headlights worth the risk? After you hit someone do you think the courts would excuse you because you were going to get it fixed next day? It is more important to go wherever you "need" to go with ther burned out light, than to hit someone or something you can't see? Up to you.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
"My headlight WAS working until that stupid cyclist hit it!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Let's take this a bit further. Substitute "brakes" for "headlights"...nobody would ( I sincerely hope ) drive with non functioning brakes that only gave 50% braking power. If you drive without 50% of your headlights working and don't see a cyclist or pedestrian and hit them...then maybe lights might also be important ? Is driving without the headlights worth the risk? After you hit someone do you think the courts would excuse you because you were going to get it fixed next day? It is more important to go wherever you "need" to go with ther burned out light, than to hit someone or something you can't see? Up to you.
Turn on fog lights if applicable?

A lot of people drive without snow tires, and a lot of people also drive with tires with close to no tread for a day or two. As long as you're cautious and keep posted to the speed limit I don't see it being a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
"My headlight WAS working until that stupid cyclist hit it!"
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
uhh just drive who cares... if you get pulled over say you didn't know... simple as that.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
c32
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

yea i had 1 headlight out for about a week or 2, i just put the fog lights on, cops gave me looks but wth can i do, cant get it fixed for 2 weeks and i aint gona take the dirty bus.. just tell em that
c32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
Retired Traffic Cop

Of course driving with only one headlight is just one headlight away from driving with no headlights. That would mean an immediate grounding....

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Driving without two working headlights (that produce white light...) is against the law. You risk a ticket, as well as not being able to see stuff and therefore could cause an accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
Turn on fog lights if applicable?

A lot of people drive without snow tires, and a lot of people also drive with tires with close to no tread for a day or two.
A lot of people do stupid stuff, but it seems to be the Revscene users who get caught and then come here to cry about it
Old 02-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #14
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

^

I believe the OP is asking about driving with ONE working headlight, not zero
MaximalLazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #15
14 dolla balla & Bradford Chow aint got nothing on me!

lolol ive used 1 headlight before, projectors albeit which have pretty good output. (better than two halogens i would say, i used my LED audi things and ppl had no problem judging how wide my car was or which lane im in. Is that illegal since technically i do have atleast two lights that provide white light or rather bluish tinged lights. (Stock)
XtC-604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:15 AM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

i drove with 1 working projector for over a month. I've never had any problems from police. i even drove down to seattle during new years eve. just don't drive like a douche and they wont take notice of you. drive carefully and get it fixed asap.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:06 AM   #17
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtC-604 View Post
lolol ive used 1 headlight before, projectors albeit which have pretty good output. (better than two halogens i would say, i used my LED audi things and ppl had no problem judging how wide my car was or which lane im in. Is that illegal since technically i do have atleast two lights that provide white light or rather bluish tinged lights. (Stock)
For day time, I don't care, it looks nice on some of them. When it's dark whenever visibility is low, or when the SUN IS BEHIND YOU, imo, you SHOULD use your headlights.

I mean, those audi lights + fogs, can you actually see the road? I definitely think you should turn on your lights when I can't even see your light reflected on the road...
Solo_D33A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:21 AM   #18
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
"i drove with 1 working projector for over a month"...that statement troubles me. You chose to knowingly drive without proper lights for a month? I could see if one went out on your way home...but to continue to drive for over a month, knowing that you couldn't properly, constitutes more than just lazyness. A very bad choice.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #19
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
uhh just drive who cares... if you get pulled over say you didn't know... simple as that.
Pretty stupid, IMO. It's not like you can fail to notice that one bulb is burnt out by how poorly lit the road in front of you will be.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #20
14 dolla balla & Bradford Chow aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Pretty stupid, IMO. It's not like you can fail to notice that one bulb is burnt out by how poorly lit the road in front of you will be.
not true, like i said, the output from 1 projector is better than 2 halogens O.o
XtC-604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #21
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtC-604 View Post
not true, like i said, the output from 1 projector is better than 2 halogens O.o

So one projector makes a wide beam all the way across the road?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #22
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,188 Times in 2,411 Posts
It's not ideal, but I would just drive cautiously with the one headlight. Tons of people have been driving around with one headlight the past few months during winter (not sure if it's the wet/cold causing more burnt bulbs, or the fact I notice them more as it gets dark earlier).

You risk getting a ticket, but I would think the cop would have to be pretty damn anal or pissed off to give you one. Or swing by Canadian Tire and buy a bulb, tell him you just found out and haven't had time to install it.

One thing to NOT do, is to use your highbeam on your single bulb thinking it will compensate for the other one. It doesn't and it will simply blind oncoming drivers. I fucking hate when people do this.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #23
I subscribe to Revscene

I usually carry spares with me and change them out when safe. While it is illegal to drive with a burned out headlight it is certainly not as dangerous as driving with half your brakes.

Are you saying that everyone should know how to perform roadside headlight bulb swaps and keep spares in their car?

When a bulb burns out it is usually when power is applied to it when you turn it on. If you are making several stops on your trip, there's a very good chance it will burn out when you are not at home. Is performing a roadside or parking lot change in a potentially unsafe location the best thing to do?

Perhaps if it is that dangerous, one burned out bulb should mean an immediate tow.

Just curious, do officers keep spares in the police cruiser at all times?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranky
^

I believe the OP is asking about driving with ONE working headlight, not zero
Yeah.. I know. You don't know how to read or something?

Here's the section of the MVA for you, maybe you can understand that better:

Quote:
4.05 (1) A motor vehicle must be equipped with either one or 2 headlamps mounted on each side of the front of the vehicle and capable of displaying white light.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry
Are you saying that everyone should know how to perform roadside headlight bulb swaps and keep spares in their car?
That would solve a lot of problems... thing is, people don't even check their cars.. they just don't care anymore.. tires, brake lights, licence plate bulbs, etc... I see a good number of cars every single day that are deficient in some respect.

There aren't enough cops to enforce the sheer number of lawbreakers out there.