REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #26
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar View Post
Their V12 6 liter engines on the 65 models have always been twin turbocharged. im not surprised.
thank you....the older models have bi-turbos aswell...this is old news.

theres a member with a older s-class making whopping amounts of whp....thanks to a powerchip tune.
Advertisement
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #27
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...orsepower.html

AMG vehicles equipped with the new engine will still be referred to as "63s" though because Mercedes likes the sound of it.

According to Mercedes, the S63 AMG will go from 0 to 60mph in 4.5 seconds in standard tune and a tenth quicker with the Performance Pack.The M157, as it's known internally, weighs slightly more than its predecessor (450 lbs. vs. 438), but fuel efficiency is way up. Mercedes says the S63 AMG will get up to 23.5 mpg on the highway, a 25% improvement. A stop/start feature is one reason for the increased efficiency.
Neat thread. If my memory serves me correctly, Renntech had a 600series in the 90's that was emissions compliant even in California.

You know, Jay has a nice original red 300sl gullwing awaiting an engine transplant. Could this be the one??
rcoccultwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #28
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrnycracer View Post
i am just curious what they are doing to combat the inherent problems with a Direct Injection engine...
what kind of problems??
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #29
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
what kind of problems??
Quite notably the carbon build up problem seen in DI engines from VW, Audi, BMW, Porsche...

And has there even been an announcement with regards to this engine being also in the 2011 C63?

2010 Touareg V6 TDI - Loving the green power
2011 Audi S4 - order picked for production... will be a late xmas present!!

hardSLAM
yvrnycracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #30
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrnycracer View Post
Quite notably the carbon build up problem seen in DI engines from VW, Audi, BMW, Porsche...

And has there even been an announcement with regards to this engine being also in the 2011 C63?
it'll only be a matter of time before the engine makes it across the whole fleet of car.

with the current 6.3 v8 engine, the only amg that i can think of that dont use the current 6.3 v8 are the SLK55 and G55.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #31
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

... ain't it 6.2?
Solo_D33A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #32
pismeov

ok, a lot of misinformation going on here:

1. merc v12s only started being bi-turbo since 2003. it started with the s600/cl600/sl600 5.5l v12 (not 6.0l) making 493hp. this engine is further revised for the maybach to develop 543hp. in the same year, amg introduced a larger bi-turbo v12 making 612hp. as a sidenote: it has taken bmw 7 years to have a proper counter to the s600's biturbo v12. and until now, no bmw car has an engine that overpowers the 65 series amgs. to this day, very few production cars out-torque these amgs....

2. prior to 2003, the w220/c215/r230 models from 2000 had the 5.8l v12 making 362hp. this v12 had cylinder deactivation.

3. before 2000, starting from 1991, mercedes had a n/a 6l dohc v12 originally making slightly over 400hp and was slightly detuned to 389hp soon after. this was the first post-war v12 from mercedes. amg had a 7.3l v12 introduced in the 90s and was fitted into the sl73amg. this engine has been further refined and now is being used as the engine of the pagani zonda. aside from this engine, amg had various other v12s made through the years (in very small quantities). the original s63/cl63 w220/cl215 cars introduced early into the 21st century actually had 6.3l v12s making 444hp. however, all these engines were always based on mercedes v12s.

4. aside from the bi-turbo v12s, amg has had made other force-induction motors. the most famous is the 5.5l v8 used anywhere from the w211 e55 to the slr mclaren. this engine made anywhere from 476hp to over 620. this engine was well-known for its unmatched torque figure and unmistakable exhaust note (ever hear an slr go by? it's so different than other exotics.) amg also had the 3.2l supercharged v6 fitted into the c32 and the slk32. again, these engines were based on regular mercedes motor with the corresponding cylinder count.

extra info:

5. the amg 6.2 is the first amg motor to be completely designed from scratch by amg. this is why this motor has no similarity to the current merc 5.5 v8.

6. the upcoming 5.5l bi-turbo v8 will be the second motor to be completely developed by amg.

7. mercedes is no stranger to force induction; they were the first manufacturer to introduce supercharging to the automobile.

8. the 6.3 moniker has always been special to mercedes as prior to the 90s, their largest motor mercedes had was a 6.3l v8. the legendary 300 sel amg used a 6.3l engine and was the inspiration for the new s-class amg concept featuring the new biturbo v8.

original amg s-class:
http://bp3.blogger.com/_UYUyHACXkrA/...EL+6.8+AMG.jpg

Last edited by pismeov; 03-20-2010 at 01:21 PM.