REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Toyota accidents under investigation in B.C. by ICBC

Quote:
B.C.'s auto insurance company is reviewing accident claims involving Toyota vehicles to see whether some of the problems that led to widespread recalls are to blame.

The Japanese automaker has recalled more than eight million vehicles since November because of reports the gas pedals stuck to the floor, causing sudden acceleration.

There is a special process now in place at the provincially owned Insurance Corporation of B.C. for customers whose claims involved a Toyota that's been recalled. Spokesman Mark Jan Vrem said a dedicated adjuster will review all Toyota files, examining the vehicle to look specifically at gas pedal and floor mat problems.

According to Jan Vrem, 20 customers so far have contacted the insurer to have their files reviewed, saying they believe the Toyota defect was responsible for their accident.

Those reviews may lead to legal action against Toyota to offset claims the insurer may have already paid out involving defective vehicles, he said.

"We are taking a look at legal action against Toyota. We have a duty to protect our customers," said Jan Vrem.

"Our investigators will be taking a careful look at claims that are already closed. They'll go back and take another look at claims that are already open to determine if in fact the sticking gas pedal or the floor mats were a contributing factor," he said.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/c...entid=23554956
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Lol at "duty to protect our customers"
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I'm surprised Timpo hasn't said a thing about this Toyota fiasco..
Old 03-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

lol ICBC, what a bunch of crap. They prolly doing this to try to get money for themselves. Ripping off BC drivers isn't enough, now it's time to rip off Toyota.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
lol ICBC, what a bunch of crap. They prolly doing this to try to get money for themselves. Ripping off BC drivers isn't enough, now it's time to rip off Toyota.
They'd be reclaiming the money they already paid out for claims caused by Toyota cars.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
They'd be reclaiming the money they already paid out for claims caused by Toyota cars.
^ Exactly! And any pending and future claims... anything ICBC can do to save a buck.. makes good sense, if it was Toyota's fault in the first place.

If you think that ICBC is the only insurance company doing this.. oh boy.. it's probably happening at every single insurer across the planet. Toyota is in for another world of hurt once they discover more deaths...
Old 03-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee View Post
There was a fatal crash almost 1.5 years ago involving a Toyota that's part of the pedal recall. ICBC investigators thought there was a throttle related failure that caused the accident, but Toyota denied it. ICBC decided that instead of scrapping the car to seal it and put it into storage. Guess what they're doing now? Going over the car to see if the pedal is the problem, and if it is then they will go after Toyota for damages they paid out for the death involved.

ICBC now has 2 full time investigators going over all Toyota crashes that fit the profile of a stuck throttle. Now why do you think ICBC cares about accidents where they already paid out money? Simple, they want that money back and who do you think they're going to expect to pay that money?
Told ya...
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
second that ...

Quote:
isn't that obvious ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #9
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I have never seen a sticking gas pedal problem that can't be solved in less than 2 seconds by shifting into neutral. They should have owned a late 60's GM car where the motor mounts broke and the mechanical throttle linkages would jam wide open when the engine torque twisted. My 396/375 was infamous for it. Just hit neutral and replace the mounts. No congressional hearings back then.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
No, electronics back then either. eg Modern automatic shift console (where nearly all of these accidents happened) is just an electronic pad, there is no direct to control to the transmission. You can put the stick into neutral all you want, but the if the transmission computer thinks you are not supposed to, you won't get neutral... There is no other way, short of smashing the transmission into bits, since the computer is literally embedded in the oil reservoir... when you are going 60mph in a FWD, that is a bit hard.

The issue is not just one computer, but the interaction of programming from computer in the gas pedal, the computer in the transmission and the keyless ignition computer.

I can see certain Toyota models will go up in premium. Short of being a stereotypical Asian driver (that needs to drive a golden/champagne colored Toyota).. there are plenty of other choices on the market... Guess want, stuff like this WILL HAPPEN AGAIN. The difference is how the companies deal with it. You see a ton of cultural differences here, where Asians consider "face" the ultimate currency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I have never seen a sticking gas pedal problem that can't be solved in less than 2 seconds by shifting into neutral. They should have owned a late 60's GM car where the motor mounts broke and the mechanical throttle linkages would jam wide open when the engine torque twisted. My 396/375 was infamous for it. Just hit neutral and replace the mounts. No congressional hearings back then.

Last edited by godwin; 03-02-2010 at 05:20 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

It seems that no matter where this is brought up, there's always a bunch of people who don't realize "putting it into neutral" doesn't work...
moomooCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
^ Exactly! And any pending and future claims... anything ICBC can do to save a buck.. makes good sense, if it was Toyota's fault in the first place.

If you think that ICBC is the only insurance company doing this.. oh boy.. it's probably happening at every single insurer across the planet. Toyota is in for another world of hurt once they discover more deaths...
Yup. It's called subrogation.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #14

Quote:
I'm surprised Timpo hasn't said a thing about this Toyota fiasco..
He came through:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/icbc-...a-t607501.html
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #15
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
ICBC recovers a sum from Toyota and decreases its claim costs. At the end of the year, reduced costs of paying out claims can be rolled into reducing (or reducing the increase) of the next year's premiums.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #16
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Ha ha, exact same thing used to happen in my '66 Skylark 455. Busted mount, too much throttle, twist the motor and bind the linkage. Just had to drop in neutral, let the motor drop down and keep driving (with a lighter foot).

I understand what you guys are saying about the electronics working together. As someone who appreciates the "feel" of driving, I hope manufacturers continue building cars with such things as clutch pedals, manual gearbox's, throttle cables, on/off traction control...etc..

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #17
I'm like the Fred Astaire of Revscene

josh t-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #18
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
said this was going to happen...

but when are the toyota drivers' who were "at fault" going to sue for their losses and increased premiums ?
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed
when are the toyota drivers' who were "at fault" going to sue for their losses and increased premiums ?
That's next. Saw it on the news last night... a lady who got shafted by ICBC, who said it was her fault. She lost her licence because of it... ICBC gonna get theirs too!
Old 03-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #20
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

ICBC isn't concerned with all Toyota accidents. For example, parking lot accidents. In order for a throttle to stick, it first has to be depressed. There's no reason to depress your throttle (especially 1/2 or full throttle) when parking your car.

What they're concerned with are when people legitimately need to use throttle (like merging or passing) and the throttle sticks causing an accident.

I think a lot of Toyota owners are going to be upset when they realize this and that ICBC isn't going to give them any money back because they were too stupid to press the correct pedal when parking their car.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: