REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #26
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Learned on my own playing street hockey, it was all the time. You can and you should practice on your own stick handling the ball. I'm sure there's tons of Youtube videos to show you how to do things
Advertisement
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #27
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Been skating since I could walk like a true Canadian. Played competitively up to Midget AAA in North Van. Stick handling is something that comes with practice and that is that. If you plan on playing on the ice get out there as soon as you can. Balls react totally different to pucks and you need different tendencies with roller, ball and ice in controlling the way you move and what you can do with the ball/puck. Go to a rec center and watch some Pee Wee practices. You can see the drills they do and then emulate them on your own time.

Berz out.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #28
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Been skating since I could walk like a true Canadian. Played competitively up to Midget AAA in North Van. Stick handling is something that comes with practice and that is that. If you plan on playing on the ice get out there as soon as you can. Balls react totally different to pucks and you need different tendencies with roller, ball and ice in controlling the way you move and what you can do with the ball/puck. Go to a rec center and watch some Pee Wee practices. You can see the drills they do and then emulate them on your own time.

Berz out.
I agree. By the sounds of it you are an athlete learning a new craft. Like anything in life it takes repetition unless you are a natural. If ice hockey is your goal, don't waste your time with ball hockey. They are similar in styles, but the game is far more different. Skating will be your toughest obstical and will require the a lot of attention. Like Berzerker I've been skating since I can remember and had tons of practice. It takes a lot of determination as you should know playing golf and tennis. Think of how much time you invested into those sports and dedicate the same amount of time and effort and over time you won't be embarrassed playing hockey. I would use ball hockey to practice shooting, the puck handling is a lot different than handling a ball. Shooting both carries the same principles. Just keep your head up and always have a short term goal in mind. Good luck!
natron3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #29
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
nice advises again... i bought rollerblade recently and been playong on the street..

i skate forward, i cant stop, i cant skate backward.. and i fell on my ass couple times when batttling,..

cut everywhere, i bleed and my back is sore as hell...

but i love it...
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #30
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

I started learning hockey in my 20's. These are my recommendations:

For skating:
Laura Stamm's Powerskating (book)
Once I understood skating theory, I learned both roller and ice skating at the same time.

For stickhandling:
Sean Skinner videos
This shows basic and advanced stickhandling moves.

For hockey stick length:
http://www.cuthockeysticks.com/
joonkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #31
misfortune cookie (V)

Thanked 2,716 Times in 422 Posts
At home when I was around gr.5-ish. I had one of those cheap ass plastic sticks and a cardboard box as a net. Good times!

Played a bit of roller hockey in high school and I just stopped from there. Kinda miss it

Last edited by LsquareD on 00-00-0000 at 00:00 PM
LsquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:10 PM   #32
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I've been skating since I was 4 and playing hockey since I was 5 and I agree with learning to skate first. Just do some drop in stick and puck/public skate. Although you might suck at first, you've gotta start somewhere and if its something you really want to do there's nothing embarassing about that.

One thing that I think would help would be some sort of Adult Hockey Skills Classes such as: http://www.icesports.com/northshore/adult.aspx

One my my buddies does this one in the Ice Sports in North Vancouver, but I'm sure there's alot of similar programs at different locations.

In terms of practicing stick handling, if you can't do it on ice, I personally found that stickhandling with a golf ball kind of feels similar stick handling a puck on ice.

Just get out on the ice as much as possible. Playing and practicing off ice can only teach you so much and doesn't always equate to on ice skills as I find that I am a Terrible ball/road hockey player compared to on ice.

Keep practicing and HAVE FUN!!!!
riccof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #33
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
my stick is the right height (to my lips ). i.m a 6' tall and i found after 1 hour of skating and playing hockey, my lower back hurt like a bitch.

is this normal for beginner or just me having a weak back ? my newbie freinds dont have this kind of problem
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #34
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

I satrted playing street hockey when I was 7 with a bunch of friends that were enrolled in ice hockey. I used to play hardcore back in the day but not so much anymore. Best advice is practice pactice practice, by yourself or with friends.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #35
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstoner View Post
my stick is the right height (to my lips ). i.m a 6' tall and i found after 1 hour of skating and playing hockey, my lower back hurt like a bitch.

is this normal for beginner or just me having a weak back ? my newbie freinds dont have this kind of problem
Sounds like poor technique. You have to use your body when skating. I find newbies usually hunch over which puts a lot of stress on the lower back. Any sort of hunch in the back will lead to back problems. Your back is crucial and should be straight as much as possible. You also might be skating with your heals, you should use your legs when you push off. The best way to learn is by watching someone who knows what they are doing. This involves a great deal of studying and practicing. Most of us are fortunate to be born in Canada and pretty be thrown onto skates after we can walk. Although, pain will come from muscles that are rarely used. IE. Learning how to skate.
natron3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #36
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,583 Times in 4,299 Posts
I started playing hockey outdoors in winnipeg in the mid 80's. I tell you playing outside when its -30 with plastic skates back in the day sucked.

When I moved here I got to teaching from good old dennis johnston what a awesome funny as guy. Then from there just worked my ass off until I played rep and then jr A.

Hockey is one of those things practice practice and more practice. Even if you are having a game of shimmy you are learning how to skate better shoot harder each time. Its better to have baby steps in a way and just have fun and don't get frustraded.
Posted via RS Mobile
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #37
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,583 Times in 4,299 Posts
What I used to do as well when I was a kid was I got the advertising off the side of a bus I layed it down and used it at ice and shot puck at my net for hourse each day. Its really smooth like ice so you got perfect grip being able to work on your wrist shots as well it gives you awesome hand eye coordination. I used to pull out the ghetto blaster and start shooting. Make sure you put something behind what you are shooting against because I put a number or holes in my garage door LOL
Posted via RS Mobile
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #38
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Ahh memories. I started at 13 years old and learned it playing hockey at the hockey pitch behind Donald Mckay Elementary.

I can remember it was so religious for us neighborhood kids. Hockey before school starts. Hockey at 1st recess, then again at lunch, then again at 2nd recess, and again afterschool until dark; And then there's the weekends too. I also started playing minor hockey but only house, nothig rep.

Anyways, the only way to get better is just to keep playing. Your game will get influenced by players better than you, and if you're not playing with people of higher skill, you're also developing your familiarity with the sport. Seriously just keep playing.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #39
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstoner View Post

Sounds like your stick is too long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote