REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

The Richmond Acura Experience

Hey guys,

I know most of you already have an idea of the quality of service you get from Richmond Acura. I want to add to that "experience" by telling you guys my story.

I was at Richmond Acura for an alignment last week after my A-spec suspension install (I luckily installed it else where) and I recall seeing some clearance items on their website. I asked to see the parts guy Kevin Ng. We chatted a bit about what's available for my TSX and I asked if he has an lip-kit for my TSX's year in the right colour. He said there was a kit available for a lowered price than usual dealership price. I asked him if he can install it as well and maybe give me a discount if I installed it there. He said no discount, but of course he said I can install it there. He also told me the car would be ready by the end of day (it was around 11am at that time). Being a dealership, I guess I expected a better job of installing a lip-kit than some independent shop, so I went ahead and asked them to install it. They gave me a courtesy car (2009 TSX fully loaded, guess they couldn't sell these things) and I was on my way home.

About 1pm I get a call from Acura. A service rep said if I was able to drive the courtesy car back to them, so that they can give me another one. I was thinking WTF? I said I was working from home, so I'm not at leisure to come back to your dealership to exchange cars. He said he'll send over someone to exchange cars. I said that's fine. About 30min later, they arrived and exchanged cars with me. I asked the driver why they need this particular car back and he said it had something to do with the insurance. I thought... ok so you gave me a car with insurance problems as a courtesy car? What kind of incompetence is that? Oh well... whatever... at least they came to me instead of asking me to drive to their dealership.

I expected a call around 4:30pm, but I gave them a bit more time to call me. At 5:30pm I couldn't wait any longer and called them. The service rep told me they'd have to keep my car overnight to ensure the glue stick properly. I was a bit disappointed, but asked them politely whether I can pick it up tomorrow before I head to work at 9am. The service rep said yes that would be fine. After I hung up, I get a call back 2 minutes later from the same service rep. She said the technician needs to check whether the glue cured properly before giving me the car back tomorrow and the guy comes in at 11am. She asked if I can come in then. I said I can't, because I had to be at work by then. Now frustrated, I grudgingly complied to pick up the car after work at 6pm.

The next day, I get a call from them at 5pm to say that I can come pick up my car anytime. I reached the dealership at around 6pm and it was getting pretty dark. I checked out the lip-kit all around to ensure things are done properly. The rear and sides look great. The front looked a bit off. From closer inspection I see that there is a slight gap on one side of the fog light area where it meets the bumper. I tell the service rep this when she waiting for me the check the car. She said I can come back anytime Mon-Fri to speak with the technician who did it. Upon further inspection while I was on the lot, I felt a scratch underneath the front lip. I knelt down and saw a small spot where the lip got scratched... I was thinking WTF? Ahh... whatever it was underneath and nobody can see it.

I made an appointment the next day with the same service rep that I'd come in again to talk with her and the technician on the issue I had with the gap on the front lip spoiler. When I went in today to see them, the technician (his name was Al) was really polite. While I was chatting with Al, the parts guy Kevin Ng comes out asking us what's the problem. I told him there is a gap in the front lip with tape still sticking out of it. I also mentioned to him that there is a squeaking sound when I push lightly on the lip spoiler. He said it's because my bumper isn't new, so it's been flexing. With a new lip-spoiler it won't fit that well on an "old" bumper. Mind you, my car is a 2008 TSX with 28,000km on it. I hardly think that's "old" or that it the age on this car would deform the bumper. I asked him if there's anything he can do, he said nope, because it's an issue with my bumper being "out of shape".

It really frustrates me that the service at Richmond Acura is so poor. Their communications between themselves and with customers are not what I'd expect from any dealership or business. Not to mention I had expected some quality work from a dealership when installing a dealer accessory like a lip-kit. I expected there wouldn't be gaps with tape sticking out of it, because it was poorly peeled during installation. Maybe I was expecting too much eh?

Anyways, just a warning about Richmond Acura and their parts guy Kevin Ng. The guy will make empty promises to get the sale. When you go back to see if the dealership can fix issues he'll step in to intervene by saying there's nothing they can do, because its your own car's issues.

Here are some pics of the gap I was talking about with the some of the tape sticking out. There are other minor fitment issues as well with the front lip, but I'm too tired of this to take pics.

Here's a comparison between the left and right sides of the lip:

Left side... no gap:

right side... gap and tape:

closer look of the right side:

Advertisement
Pally777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Have you tried talking to the Service Manager instead?
Dinan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

That's bs, talk to the manager. I wouldn't accept that
ssonss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Holy cow that looks horrible!
RollingStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Tell them you're going to write to the BBB and the media if they don't fix it. That worked for me before. Good luck.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Richmond Acura was never really good overall from what I've heard. Most people I know have had bad experience from them, and end up going to Lougheed Acura instead

When I was searching for a new car, I went into Richmond Acura, and after fifteen minutes I've had nobody come and ask me if I needed help. They were all standing around flirting with the receiptionist/secretary.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan3 View Post
Have you tried talking to the Service Manager instead?
I haven't tried that, but I'm pretty tired from having to deal with these guys. Any ideas on what you think the Service Manager can do for me though? Wouldn't they just give me the same BS about my bumper being "out of shape" compared to their brand new lip spoiler? Actually, I had the assumption that a polyurethane factory lip kit was quite flexible such that it can mold to my bumper.

In the end, I guess it's not that noticeable unless you're up close, so I can barely accept it. However, I'm never going to deal with Richmond Acura again unless it's a warranty issue.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,967 Times in 290 Posts
all of my experiences at richmond acrua have been okay, but not the best. but in your case that looks pretty shitty; if I were you i'd complain.

UNCE UNCE UNCE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strykn View Post
Comparing A&B with deadmau5? Really? I should fucking slap you

2007 Acura TL
2005 Acura TL....RIP
2003 Honda Accord Coupe V6....RIP
tonyvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #9

wow, that looks like a 1 minute DIY stick on!! Even then, I think I could have done a better job!!! That looks horrible, definately would complain or take it to a reputable body shop!
Old 03-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

I have only had positive experiences @ Burrard Acura
RollingStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
Banned (BBM)

pretty horrible
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #12

You should have known that Richmond Acura doesn't have a bodyshop. You cannot expect service technicians to excel at bodywork.
Spooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #13
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ yea they should of outsourced to a body shop to do the work
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #14

Of course I know they don't have an auto body shop there. However, it doesn't take any special auto body skills to take off double-sided tape and make sure a lip spoiler sits flush with the bumper it's attached to right? Or am I expecting too much?

I think I'll try to get a hold of the service manager and then go from there. If that doesn't work, I will go up to corporate Acura.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #15
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pally777 View Post
He said there was a kit available for a lowered price than usual dealership price.
and you didn't ask him why it's cheaper?

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #16
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
not surprised if the part was warped some sort of way before they installed it.

i worked in a honda parts warehouse setting and those body pieces gets flexed quite a bit while being transported or even simply being put away

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #17

Quote:
I haven't tried that, but I'm pretty tired from having to deal with these guys. Any ideas on what you think the Service Manager can do for me though? Wouldn't they just give me the same BS about my bumper being "out of shape" compared to their brand new lip spoiler? Actually, I had the assumption that a polyurethane factory lip kit was quite flexible such that it can mold to my bumper.

In the end, I guess it's not that noticeable unless you're up close, so I can barely accept it. However, I'm never going to deal with Richmond Acura again unless it's a warranty issue.
The Service Manager is the one making the call on rectifying your concerns. Don't waste your time on anyone else.
Dinan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
and you didn't ask him why it's cheaper?
Maybe I should have asked him more about it, but I'd think that a seller as big as Acura would make it known if there was some defect with the product. I was talking to the parts associate about clearance parts, so I assumed it was because it was an older model year that they are trying get rid of.

I don't think the kit was used or defective. It looks brand new. The only issue I have is with their installation.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #19
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

i've consistently had not so great service from all dealers in richmond. vancouver dealers usually have been great accross different brands.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:42 PM   #20
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

lips can flex, if they dont, nothing a heat gun/lamp cant fix. btw... take it back, thats some bull shit craftsmanship. when i worked at a bodyshop, work like that would of gotten me whipped haha
-10 Fit
umpadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Of course I know they don't have an auto body shop there. However, it doesn't take any special auto body skills to take off double-sided tape and make sure a lip spoiler sits flush with the bumper it's attached to right? Or am I expecting too much?

I think I'll try to get a hold of the service manager and then go from there. If that doesn't work, I will go up to corporate Acura.
In your first and second picture, there isn't much you can do about it if they are just using the standard double-sided 3M tape. I'm guessing the body mold was slightly warped and the adhesive isn't strong enough to hold the kit close to the bumper. They would need to use a thicker width 3M tape in order to fix this.

For the 3rd and 4th picture, the dealership removed the masking tape too early which was used to support the kit while the adhesive is bonding. This is why you see the 3M tape residue because the kit is just too heavy and the 3M tape hasn't had enough time to stick.

To be honest, it can take several days for the 3M tape to adhesive to bond properly. I know this because I had the same issue with my kit.

On a side note, if you ever go back to Richmond Acura, I recommend you deal with the non-chinese (I'm chinese). Don't even go talk to the service advisor named Teresa. Most of them are turds and they think they are better than you. I've so far had excellent experience with the service advisor name Dave? I forgot his name but he is the only caucasian there.

You probably got a scrap on the bottom of your brand new kit because the mechanics drove through a speed bump or exit an entrance at full speed - if they ever test drive your car, you will know what I mean.
lonelydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #22
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

This is poor craftmanship. You spend your hard earned dollars on this.
Take it back and be nice. If they tell you off then time to be mean!
The "oh your bumper is old" is just bs talk.
I know all this stuff is a headache and pita but if you don't take care of it, no one will.
Also, he scratched your lip!!!!!
If you were at the mall and someone scratched your car, you'd punch him in the face!
(just venting cuz i had to bring my car back 3 times to get my window fixed properly.. sigh)
thebluew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #23
Banned (BBM)

how much did that kit actually cost you
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #24
My homepage has been set to RS

kit is cheaper because its older model, ie/ not 09/10. most dealership would clear inventory for older models by selling cheap.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
how much did that kit actually cost you
The kit cost me $800 and then the installation cost me about $230. I had the understanding from them that the price reflects clearance item, not damaged or used item.

I don't believe this is an issue with the kit. Even used kits have proper fitment. It's just a matter of the installation; whether they took the time to install it properly instead of doing it in a rush.

The tape sticking out from the lip and bumper is a sign that they didn't wait for the glue to harden. I'm guessing they have to somehow hold the lip spoiler in place while the glue cures?

Any body shop people in here can chime in on the usual process? I'd really appreciate it, as I can use it in my argument to the manager later.