REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 03-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #76
Banned (ABWS)

Theoretically speaking, Marx's proposal of communism should in theory provide a better living condition for all it's citizens than capitilism, eventually reaching a state of utopia. Lenin and Mao just incorporated their own theories into communism and governed using a twisted version of the Marx doctrine.

Think of it this way. You're going to be born into the world, but you don't know anything about the future of yourself. However, you're given full authority over the government of this global enterprise. What kind of society would you create? Only a minority of the world is blessed with the luxuries we see as common commodities (like an HDtv). Statistically speaking, you're more than likely to end up as "poor" rather than "rich", based on Western standards. Wouldn't you create a world that values collectivism opposed to natural selection?

I've never said people can't spend their money as they see fit. It's their money, I've no right whatsoever to infringe upon their liberty. However, as a first world country, shouldn't we be more willing to lend a helping hand? It's not as if the inhabitants of third world countries chose to live there, it just happened to be.

True, doctors are in high demand. But doctors already give back to the community, they're pretty much modern-day jesuses who cure people of illnesses. What does your average "high-demand" Goldman Sachs employee do for the community? Oh yeah... Trick people into buying bonds and set off a global recession, sounds pretty familiar doesnt it.

I'm tired of arguing. Sure, you have a right to pick between using $500 to save a life or chrome out your keyboard. If you choose the latter, may god have pity on you.
Advertisement
Professir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:05 AM   #77
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 8,016 Times in 2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darnold View Post
Two of my best friends are cops in Vancouver and they laughingly mentioned to me that 90%+ of the newer BMW/Mercedes vehicles that they pull over are leased.

The emergance of modern day credit can give anyone with even a half ass decent job the "illusion" of wealth.
You and your so called cop friends sound bitter. There's guys leasing out Lambo's and Ferrari's so wtf is the big deal? You still need to earn money to pay the damn payments every month.
Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #78
Unauthourized Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professir View Post
Theoretically speaking, Marx's proposal of communism should in theory provide a better living condition for all it's citizens than capitilism, eventually reaching a state of utopia. Lenin and Mao just incorporated their own theories into communism and governed using a twisted version of the Marx doctrine.

Think of it this way. You're going to be born into the world, but you don't know anything about the future of yourself. However, you're given full authority over the government of this global enterprise. What kind of society would you create? Only a minority of the world is blessed with the luxuries we see as common commodities (like an HDtv). Statistically speaking, you're more than likely to end up as "poor" rather than "rich", based on Western standards. Wouldn't you create a world that values collectivism opposed to natural selection?

I've never said people can't spend their money as they see fit. It's their money, I've no right whatsoever to infringe upon their liberty. However, as a first world country, shouldn't we be more willing to lend a helping hand? It's not as if the inhabitants of third world countries chose to live there, it just happened to be.

True, doctors are in high demand. But doctors already give back to the community, they're pretty much modern-day jesuses who cure people of illnesses. What does your average "high-demand" Goldman Sachs employee do for the community? Oh yeah... Trick people into buying bonds and set off a global recession, sounds pretty familiar doesnt it.

I'm tired of arguing. Sure, you have a right to pick between using $500 to save a life or chrome out your keyboard. If you choose the latter, may god have pity on you.
I get where you're coming from, but a person might not have to pick between the two choices. Who's to say those people wouldn't spend $500 on chroming their keyboard, $600 on a shirt or $3000 on their car lease payment AND still donate to those in need. Yes some people only donate for tax purposes, but then again some do it because they genuinely want to help.

At the end of the day we do things that make US happy whether that be buying what we want or donating to help others. And the only one that can judge us is God/Allah or whatever one may believe in.
rickross888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:32 AM   #79
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickross888 View Post
I get where you're coming from, but a person might not have to pick between the two choices. Who's to say those people wouldn't spend $500 on chroming their keyboard, $600 on a shirt or $3000 on their car lease payment AND still donate to those in need. Yes some people only donate for tax purposes, but then again some do it because they genuinely want to help.

At the end of the day we do things that make US happy whether that be buying what we want or donating to help others. And the only one that can judge us is God/Allah or whatever one may believe in.
Word. I don't think anybody is morally obligated to help anyone else. In my own opinion, morals are extremely subjective in nature. What you believe as wrong may exist in my mind as being righteous. Therefore, I'll never say you're wrong for your actions, since I don't believe in this idea of an absolute right and wrong.

However, I'm still left with my opinions, and my opinions tell me that what separates us humans from brute mammals is our extraordinary gift of profound intellectual abilities. Whereas lions and tigers rule by natural selection, we as humans have the ability to help others. I'm not trying to lecture the people who do help, I'm attempting to open the eyes of the ones who don't, the individuals that curl up peacefully into their shell of greed every night and pretend that the world is a perfect place.

It's one thing to be thankful that you're wealthy... But it pisses off like no other when some people believe they're naturally better than others just cause they've got a few extra dollars in their pockets. Especially the young pricks driving their Lambos, thinkin they're all cool cause they've got a rich daddy. Success and respect are earned, not given. These kids were born into riches, and "deserve" their money no more than any starving child in Africa deserves that money. Not to sound arrogant in any sort of way, but I grew up in a very well off family. Unfortunately, I had a lot of friends who were much less fortunate in terms of wealth. I'm currently attending the U of T, an opportunity some of my friends will never have due to their family income. I really wish people can be equal some day. This sounds somewhat unrealistic, as I believe the love for power and money will make it immensely difficult for our society to become a egalitarian state. But hey... I doubt very few people would've believe me 2000 years ago if I explained to them the concept of Schrodingers Cat, so I guess anything is possible.

Last edited by Professir; 03-29-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #80
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

hahaha, university kid and from rich family. No wonder you talk like this.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #81
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professir View Post
Word. I don't think anybody is morally obligated to help anyone else. In my own opinion, morals are extremely subjective in nature. What you believe as wrong may exist in my mind as being righteous. Therefore, I'll never say you're wrong for your actions, since I don't believe in this idea of an absolute right and wrong.

However, I'm still left with my opinions, and my opinions tell me that what separates us humans from brute mammals is our extraordinary gift of profound intellectual abilities. Whereas lions and tigers rule by natural selection, we as humans have the ability to help others. I'm not trying to lecture the people who do help, I'm attempting to open the eyes of the ones who don't, the individuals that curl up peacefully into their shell of greed every night and pretend that the world is a perfect place.

It's one thing to be thankful that you're wealthy... But it pisses off like no other when some people believe they're naturally better than others just cause they've got a few extra dollars in their pockets. Especially the young pricks driving their Lambos, thinkin they're all cool cause they've got a rich daddy. Success and respect are earned, not given. These kids were born into riches, and "deserve" their money no more than any starving child in Africa deserves that money. Not to sound arrogant in any sort of way, but I grew up in a very well off family. Unfortunately, I had a lot of friends who were much less fortunate in terms of wealth. I'm currently attending the U of T, an opportunity some of my friends will never have due to their family income. I really wish people can be equal some day. This sounds somewhat unrealistic, as I believe the love for power and money will make it immensely difficult for our society to become a egalitarian state. But hey... I doubt very few people would've believe me 2000 years ago if I explained to them the concept of Schrodingers Cat, so I guess anything is possible.
Well, maybe your friends just aren't smart enough to earn scholarships to university.
jeff_alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #82
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_alexander View Post
Well, maybe your friends just aren't smart enough to earn scholarships to university.
a scholarship to the U of T requires a 95% average among your top 6 grade 12 courses plus a spectacularly written essay, not so easy my friend lol

(p.s. oscar wilde is siiiiiiiick widdit)

Last edited by Professir; 03-29-2010 at 07:49 PM.