REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Civic SI vs. Honda Fit Sport (https://www.revscene.net/forums/608733-civic-si-vs-honda-fit-sport.html)

punkwax 03-14-2010 11:32 AM

Civic SI vs. Honda Fit Sport

I searched, found an '08 Civic vs. Fit thread but it wasn't specifically SI and I figure since then more people have had opportunity to compare the two.

I'm seriously considering selling my IS250 and getting into something a little more practical. (Everything considered, gas mileage, premium vs. reg gas, maintenance, repair costs etc.)

At first, I was set on the new SI coupes. Love the look, decent HP, 6sp manual etc. but the more I was looking into them the more I read people saying Fits are just as, if not more, fun to drive and much more practical / economical.

Lack of HP is a minor concern of mine as I have a few hills to negotiate on my daily commute. My old 1.6EL kind of sucked going up these hills and I'd usually turn off the AC going up them because I could really feel the difference in torque. :o

For me, here are the pros and cons in comparison of each other:

Civic pros - styling, HP, 6sp manual
cons - premium gas, gas mileage, higher insurance

Fit pros - reg gas, gas mileage, storage (hockey gear), less insurance
cons - lack of HP, need mods asap (to be more "me")

Of course I plan to test drive both before making a decision but want to know if anyone on RS has any input or experience with both.

Thanks!

BoS_DC2 03-14-2010 11:38 AM

Have you considered the CIvic SI Sedans?

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-14-2010 11:44 AM

Si all the way

FIT = gutless, whether u need the power or not. 110hp is 110hp

orange7 03-14-2010 11:44 AM

nooo... don't sell your IS250...

hotong 03-14-2010 11:46 AM

i would go with the si

orange7 03-14-2010 11:48 AM

if you want something economical & practical, have you considered those other choices: mazda 3, kia koupe, golf gti, .............

albert116 03-14-2010 12:23 PM

I have a 08 FG2 and it's surprisingly practical. Managed to fit a 46 inch LCD TV into the back on one occasion, and also managed to fit 3 ppl + ski /snowboard gear on another occasion...so i think it should be no problem for you if you are looking to fit in your hockey gear.

not getting good gas mileage on mine, however...getting around 12L/100km these days (mostly city), with spirited driving once in a while...insurance wise i am paying just over $1700 with 43% discount.

it's definitely a fun car to drive if you don't mind shifting at 3.5k-4k rpm (my car is completely stock and you'll want to shift at least 3.5k anyways--as the car feels really slow if you shift anywhere below that)

punkwax 03-14-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoS_DC2 (Post 6859436)
Have you considered the CIvic SI Sedans?

Yes, if I found a sedan that was a better purchase, (less kms, no acc, 1 owner, better shape etc) I would take it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange7 (Post 6859452)
if you want something economical & practical, have you considered those other choices: mazda 3, kia koupe, golf gti, .............

Yes I have :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6859441)
Si all the way

FIT = gutless, whether u need the power or not. 110hp is 110hp

Have you driven one? I've heard they're surprisingly quick and fun to drive for the HP.

punkwax 03-14-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albert116 (Post 6859509)
I have a 08 FG2 and it's surprisingly practical. Managed to fit a 46 inch LCD TV into the back on one occasion, and also managed to fit 3 ppl + ski /snowboard gear on another occasion...so i think it should be no problem for you if you are looking to fit in your hockey gear.

not getting good gas mileage on mine, however...getting around 12L/100km these days (mostly city), with spirited driving once in a while...insurance wise i am paying just over $1700 with 43% discount.

it's definitely a fun car to drive if you don't mind shifting at 3.5k-4k rpm (my car is completely stock and you'll want to shift at least 3.5k anyways--as the car feels really slow if you shift anywhere below that)

Should've been more specific, sometimes I drive others to hockey and have to borrow wifey's LR3. So the Fit would be good for hockey gear x 2.

I don't plan to shift below 3.5K. :D

Thanks for input.

spoon.ek9 03-14-2010 01:09 PM

if you don't mind paying for the Si, do it up. i have nothing against the Fit, it's just a totally different platform to start with.

and don't worry about Mugen Evolution, he hates any civic/fit that doesn't have a k20a in it :p

Jackygor 03-14-2010 01:14 PM

SI all the way

JqC 03-14-2010 01:56 PM

I'd go with the SI all the way, almost bought one myself a while ago. The 8000+ redline will be worth any extra costs you'd have to pay over the Fit.

gilly 03-14-2010 02:08 PM

i own a 09 fit and the gas mileage on the car is great. I average. 6.5-7 L/100km city and highway. When i have 5 people in the car, they say its surprisingly roomy for a small car. Trunk is big too. For power, its alright. You don't have to turn off a/c or anything like that when going up hills.

optiblue 03-14-2010 04:51 PM

I would go with the SI

RabidRat 03-14-2010 05:30 PM

you really, REALLY need to test drive a Fit first. these people who say that Fits are amazing to drive and handle awesome are speaking about it compared to the rest of the market segment. they may very well blow the competition out of the water. but the Si is a whole other story. even if you were to throw money into a K20 swap or go FI, swap in racing seats, the driving position, steering feel, shifting feel, all of that as a driving experience package is totally different.

honestly you'd have to be pretty undiscerning to be able to test drive them back to back and not really notice much of a difference. the only way you'd find out if you're that jaded to driving experience is to go try them back to back.

!Aznboi128 03-14-2010 05:53 PM

I test drove both fit and the si and I like the fit more fits my purpose but the problem is I figured I need to spend a lot of money to make the fit where I want it but still no where close to the si price.

I say fit, just cause it's fun little car, and a civic si is a civic. (Not that it's bad but there's so many)
Posted via RS Mobile

punkwax 03-14-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabidRat (Post 6859910)
you really, REALLY need to test drive a Fit first. these people who say that Fits are amazing to drive and handle awesome are speaking about it compared to the rest of the market segment. they may very well blow the competition out of the water. but the Si is a whole other story. even if you were to throw money into a K20 swap or go FI, swap in racing seats, the driving position, steering feel, shifting feel, all of that as a driving experience package is totally different.

honestly you'd have to be pretty undiscerning to be able to test drive them back to back and not really notice much of a difference. the only way you'd find out if you're that jaded to driving experience is to go try them back to back.

^ Not entirely true. I've been reading people changing their minds about civics and going Fit after comparing the two. I understand what you're saying, but the examples I was referring to were in comparison of another.

I definitely plan to drive both back to back. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting the Fit to be an SI on the road, just seeing if anyone else has gone through the same situation and seeking input.

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-14-2010 06:26 PM

dont see how 110hp can be anywhere NEAR quick

KingCrimson 03-14-2010 06:28 PM

I say SI...
but how much are you selling IS250 for??
Lol

Anjew 03-14-2010 07:13 PM

i have an SI and my gf has a fit, si all the way

spoon.ek9 03-14-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6859999)
dont see how 110hp can be anywhere NEAR quick

hey, that's 18 more hp than my EF's d15b7 :lol

spoonek4 03-14-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 (Post 6860130)
hey, that's 18 more hp than my EF's d15b7 :lol

Fit's got more power but it's much heavier & runs a drive by wire setup which I really hated. U really can't compare those two coz they simply came from two different generation.

I'm a 07 fit owner myself. I had the same question in my mind before I got the fit. I wanted the si sedan badly however, not even available in the market back then. I had to sell my previous car so I bought a fit.

Anyway, if you can afford a si sedan, go for it. If it's a little hard for you to pay it off/insurance is too much for you, then go with the fit.

Ikkaku 03-14-2010 09:39 PM

sometimes I wonder if people use peppy and fast interchangably, and why?

I can see the Fit being peppy for city driving, but not fast in the sense of highway driving?

TL_99 03-14-2010 10:24 PM

if you don't plan to shift below 3.5k RPM, get the SI, the fuel economy on the fit is not going to be "great" if u shift at 4K RPM every time. You're probably looking at around 7.5-8.5 L per 100km.

The fit is gutless because of its tiny engine. But if you drive manual, it is fun and pretty quick. Just downshift more often.

tofu1413 03-15-2010 04:17 AM

driven all three. Older fit is funner to drive.

SI is nice to own, other else than it wont be as practical as the hatchback of a Fit.

Mileage on both cars should be similar too assuming you arent lead footed.