REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   New York 2010: Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Debuts With 274-HP, 34-MPG Highway Rating (https://www.revscene.net/forums/610612-new-york-2010-hyundai-sonata-2-0t-debuts-274-hp-34-mpg-highway-rating.html)

J-Chow 03-30-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_law82 (Post 7365982)
Here's my feedback from my test drive yesterday.

Car: 2.4L GLS Sonata.

- car drove as expected, soft suspension, fairly quiet while coasting but pretty loud when accelerating, steering is very light (must be due to the electronic power steering). Having test driven other cars like the TL and TSX, I found the suspension to be too soft, but compared to the Camry and Accord, it felt similar. It did not have the pulling to the left side that is plastered all over the internet, but I'd still be careful and make sure you test drive the specific car you are picking up. The sales person indicated that if I wanted a tighter feel, I should try the 2.0T as it has a different suspension set up.

- I found the interior to be cheap. For example, the interior door handle felt like it was going to break off, the glove compartment also uses a cheap plastic. However, the dash seems pretty modern and it does come with bells and whistles like bluetooth, usb for ipod, aux-in, heated seats, etc.

- The GLS with the cloth seats seemed really cheap (like some sort of recycled material), the leather in the limited trim seemed better but the quality also seemed cheap. Bottom line, I didn't feel it to be luxurious on the inside, my MR2 feels more luxurious.

Overall conclusion, good bang for the buck. It comes with a lot of options included where the competitors would have them as options. However, they have to cut costs somewhere. It's good value as long as you manage your expectations and don't expect it to be as luxurious as other brands.

In terms of the 0% offer, the sales person said the promotion will likely end at the end of the month (but of course, take that with a grain of salt since they are biased).

Good luck!

This is exactly how I felt (about interior wise). I just got back from the vancouver auto show, and had to check out Hyundai, because I was planning in the long run to pick up a sonata or genesis. When I sat in the Sonata, I was expecting the interior to somewhat have similar texture characteristics with other luxury cars that might be on par such as vw, audi, bmw etc.

Unfortunately, it felt really (cheap), like artificial plastic and leather. I can't really explain it, but it was like a hybrid between luxury and cheap :lol:
Interior was nicer than my suby (by far), but not as nice as the interior of european built cars. Idk, made me have second thoughts about picking one up.

!LittleDragon 03-30-2011 08:41 AM

Lol... of course you'd be disappointed if you think like that. I went into it knowing that I'm buying a Hyundai and not an Audi, BMW, VW, etc... So far, I'm still satisfied with it a week later. Compare it to the Camry and Accord, you'll be more impressed.

Jsunu 03-30-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Chow (Post 7367283)
This is exactly how I felt (about interior wise). I just got back from the vancouver auto show, and had to check out Hyundai, because I was planning in the long run to pick up a sonata or genesis. When I sat in the Sonata, I was expecting the interior to somewhat have similar texture characteristics with other luxury cars that might be on par such as vw, audi, bmw etc.

Unfortunately, it felt really (cheap), like artificial plastic and leather. I can't really explain it, but it was like a hybrid between luxury and cheap :lol:
Interior was nicer than my suby (by far), but not as nice as the interior of european built cars. Idk, made me have second thoughts about picking one up.

Was there a hyundai Gensis sedan there? That should be more in line with the BMW/Audi/etc. while the sonata is more comparable to the camery etc.

the_law82 03-30-2011 09:12 AM

I completely agree. You just have to manage your expectations.

I think we are looking for more luxury so we've geared our search appropriately now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by !LittleDragon (Post 7367503)
Lol... of course you'd be disappointed if you think like that. I went into it knowing that I'm buying a Hyundai and not an Audi, BMW, VW, etc... So far, I'm still satisfied with it a week later. Compare it to the Camry and Accord, you'll be more impressed.