REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #26
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsimi1004 View Post
shouldve dynoed?(does it show speed? i dunno) your car as evidence and show it in court. you wouldve won if what u say is true.
lol i should've done alot of things before going to court actually, lol... well it's over and done with now so i don't dwell on it and i was actually thinking of saying something along those lines but my friend told me that excuse would never hold up in court. honestly, i just showed up hoping the cop didn't show up that was my plan of defence haha
Advertisement
kuruuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #27
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness_71 View Post
How did you manage a $483 fine? You would have had to be doing at least 60over the limit, not 50. And if that`s the case, then we are talking about different situations.

And for anyone else who is thinking of posting in here:
a) Read the damn thread first, and
b) I`m not a dude or your "buddy"... sorry.
40km/hr over the posted sign limit is excessive speeding so it is the same situation (going 40km/hr or 100km/hr is the same ticket); the fine for that is $368-483 depending on whatever the officer feels like giving you.

a) i can read
b) sorry mate and your not my friend, guy
kuruuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #28
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruuze View Post
40km/hr over the posted sign limit is excessive speeding so it is the same situation (going 40km/hr or 100km/hr is the same ticket); the fine for that is $368-483 depending on whatever the officer feels like giving you.
Sorry, incorrect. 41-60km/hr over the limit is a $368 fine. 61+km/hr over the limit is a $483 fine. Its not "what we feel like giving".
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #29
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I'm having problems figuring this one out, based on what you have posted. You were charged with excessive speed @ $483 = 61 plus k over limit, yet you say the speed entered in court was 150 in a 100k zone? That does not compute. You say the Cop crucified you for no reason and the JP hated you too and smirked at you for no reason other than he loved his authority..so he took your DL? Sounds like there may be some more to this story, ....like another side?

Last edited by zulutango; 04-28-2010 at 08:48 PM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #30
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

The initial ticket fine is peanuts compared to the Driver penalty points you'll get 1 month before your birthday. I dispute EVERY SINGLE TICKET NOW!
dieselong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:22 PM   #31
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruuze View Post
sorry mate and your not my friend, guy
What does that even MEAN?
ness_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Watch some South Park.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #33
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I got an excessive few years back and was just notified this year about the DRP... $320/year for 3 years. I actually lucked out because when I renewed my insurance this year. The agent asked why I don't have the 10+ year drivers discount applied, I just never knew about it. I'm still paying the $320 for 3 years but my insurance rates actually dropped by $350 so it works out even.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #34
Need to Seek Professional Help

Update: I disputed this ticket, went to court, talked to the cop beforehand, got it reduced to a speeding ticket ($196)

In your face.
Suckers.
ness_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #35
I subscribe to Revscene

Interesting. So even though you were originally accused of excessive speed, you were convicted of a lesser charge.

With regards to the immediate 7 day roadside impoundment, I've said all along that you may be accused of excessive speed but not convicted of it. The problem with the impoundment is that you effectively pay the penalty based on an accusation, not a conviction.

Guilty until proven innocent, right?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #36
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Interesting. So even though you were originally accused of excessive speed, you were convicted of a lesser charge.

With regards to the immediate 7 day roadside impoundment, I've said all along that you may be accused of excessive speed but not convicted of it. The problem with the impoundment is that you effectively pay the penalty based on an accusation, not a conviction.

Guilty until proven innocent, right?
In this case, no. He was caught going 40+ over the speed limit and went to court to dispute his ticket.
Before heading into court on the day of, he had a chance to talk to the officer and the officer agreed to reduce the charge to plain speeding if the OP agreed to plead guilty.

This happens quite often, if the officer did show up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #37
I subscribe to Revscene

At the end of the day, the OP was convicted of a crime that doesn't come with an impoundment penalty. Despite this, under the new system the OP would have lost his car for a week.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #38
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
At the end of the day, the OP was convicted of a crime that doesn't come with an impoundment penalty. Despite this, under the new system the OP would have lost his car for a week.
And your point?
Technically, the officer could have been an asshat and not addressed the OP before court. Gone in front of the JP and stated what happened that night and OP could have been convicted of excessive speeding and be given the $XXX dollar ticket that he was originally charged with and still not lose his car for a week since the infraction happened before the impoundment penalty came to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #39
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
And your point?
Technically, the officer could have been an asshat and not addressed the OP before court. Gone in front of the JP and stated what happened that night and OP could have been convicted of excessive speeding and be given the $XXX dollar ticket that he was originally charged with and still not lose his car for a week since the infraction happened before the impoundment penalty came to be.
x2

This is exactly why the impound penalty has come into affect, asshats fighting tickets they are 100% guilty of, and our court system letting them off for it.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #40
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
x2

This is exactly why the impound penalty has come into affect, asshats fighting tickets they are 100% guilty of, and our court system letting them off for it.
You're telling me that out of the 4700+ cars impounded for allegedly being driven at excessive speed, none of those charges could have been in error?

We have a court system for a reason. To prove guilt or innocence. You don't bypass it because it's an inconvenient nuisance.

This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #41
Who's naughty? I___i

went to the court today and made a deal with the officer before court started.

Reduced to MVA 146.1 $196
Szeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #42
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness_71 View Post
Update: I disputed this ticket, went to court, talked to the cop beforehand, got it reduced to a speeding ticket ($196)

In your face.
Suckers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szeto View Post
went to the court today and made a deal with the officer before court started.

Reduced to MVA 146.1 $196

Just a quick question for you guys, since it go reduced to a regular speeding ticket do you still have to pay for the driver premiums from icbc?
kamsid10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #43
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamsid10 View Post
Just a quick question for you guys, since it go reduced to a regular speeding ticket do you still have to pay for the driver premiums from icbc?
Not only that, how do you get compensated for the time your car spent in the impound lot?

Old 10-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #44
Who's naughty? I___i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamsid10 View Post
I don't know but when I renew I shall let you know. However, based some googling and reading off ICBC document, MVA 146 tickets do not enroll you into DRP program where as MVA 148 does - both offense carries 3 pts (minimum?).

Quote:
Not only that, how do you get compensated for the time your car spent in the impound lot?
I was issued the ticket 2 weeks before the regulation kicked in so my car did not get towed away. However, I would think if your violation has been dropped down to MVA 146 then you'd file claim to get whatever cost incurred reimbursed?
Szeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:16 PM   #45
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
fuck court.. mine is comming soon.
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #46
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Keep in mind when you make deals before traffic court, you're dealing with the Crown Prosecuter, not the Police Officer. Yes its the same person but different roles.

Wheeling and dealing before trial is normal in any type of court. Thats what people pay big lawyers for.

Just because somebody pleads to a lesser offence doesn't mean they did not commit the original charge offence. Now if they were acquitted of the serious offence, then thats a different story and you may have a leg to stand on
Old 10-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #47
...on a mission....

Quote:
Well...let see now. A person has made a deal to reduce the violation, and it keeps them out of the DRProgram. That in itself will save that person almost $1000....and you're worried about impound fees? Save $1000.....that's quite a chunk! Either pay the speeding ticket, the 3 years of $320 and impound fees...or a lower speeding ticket, NO 3 years of $320...... and impound fees. I know which one I would take!
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #48
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simnut View Post
Well...let see now. A person has made a deal to reduce the violation, and it keeps them out of the DRProgram. That in itself will save that person almost $1000....and you're worried about impound fees? Save $1000.....that's quite a chunk! Either pay the speeding ticket, the 3 years of $320 and impound fees...or a lower speeding ticket, NO 3 years of $320...... and impound fees. I know which one I would take!
I wouldn't be worried about the impound fees, I'd be worried about how to get back the 7 days spent without a car.

But since you can't turn back the hands of time, wouldn't it be reasonable to think that you could have.. oh, I don't know.. perhaps a TRIAL before your sentence is handed down?

Old 10-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #49
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

The police are not always honest.

I've been pulled over and given tickets over the past 10 years for:

-No brake light 1 of 3, at 2am
-No signal on right front of car, at 1am
-speeding (56 in a 50 zone)
-reckless driving (wrong car)
-No seatbelt (it was on)
-this one's the best one: Excessive speeding on Steveston Hwy, at 130am (I was actually 5km UNDER the limit). Cop threatened at court to "have my ass in a grinder and my license taken away, just like my "racing buddies" (?)" Then had the ticket thrown out for lack of evidence and me filing a report on her.

I disputed and won every. single. one. ALL with the PO pleading no evidence.

So yes. There ARE ppl who deserve to get pulled over, and cops that are honest. But i've seen more that really don't seem to have anything better to do than be jerks.

I'm not saying the OP DIDN'T do what he/she did. But I'm also saying, the cops aren't always doing their job properly either.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:32 AM   #50
...on a mission....

Quote:
I wouldn't be worried about the impound fees, I'd be worried about how to get back the 7 days spent without a car.

But since you can't turn back the hands of time, wouldn't it be reasonable to think that you could have.. oh, I don't know.. perhaps a TRIAL before your sentence is handed down?
I have to agree with you on that. We are still waiting on a court date at the Supreme Court of BC regarding a violation ticket that caused a 4 month suspension from the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles. Their reason for not being able to get to court? Waiting for council......for them! Guess what...the suspension was NOT "put on hold" until the court date....and is being served as we wait. Guess what.....the suspension is OVER in 4 days!!!! Still no court date. What happens if we get the violation overturned in court (aka win)...how will the OSMV give back those 4 months? Go figure eh?

The worst that can happen is that the OSMV will drop the charge before it goes into court. We WANT to go to court to prove the lack of evidence and incorrect application of the MVA. Oh, there are benefits if they drop it....like the violation is off the record, all impound fees are paid back etc. But, as some of you well know...there is a point to prove!
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote