REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Opinions on the following convertibles... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/612438-opinions-following-convertibles.html)

AzNightmare 04-28-2010 12:20 PM

After reading a bunch of comments, it seems like OP's actually leaning more to the practicality of the MX-5,
but trying to see if people here can give him reasons why the other cars are better. :D

But I'm a Miata fan... lol

Great68 04-28-2010 12:33 PM

^ This is supposed to be a weekend fun car.

Practicality is for daily drivers.

too_slow 04-28-2010 01:25 PM

LOL, you got me there!

I only threw in the S2k because it was my favorite car back in highschool, and I envied everyone that got one for their gr12 graduation present :(

I really like the MX5 and the Z4M. They're on completely different ends of the spectrum. For those that call the MX5 'GAY' and 'WEAKSAUCE' : you clearly have never driven one before.

I drive with the flow of traffic, and I don't speed in public (LOL). My MPS6 is far from slow or boring, and I have always wanted a nimble roadster as a second car.

RabidRat 04-29-2010 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too_slow (Post 6929047)
LOL, you got me there!

I only threw in the S2k because it was my favorite car back in highschool, and I envied everyone that got one for their gr12 graduation present :(

I really like the MX5 and the Z4M. They're on completely different ends of the spectrum. For those that call the MX5 'GAY' and 'WEAKSAUCE' : you clearly have never driven one before.

I drive with the flow of traffic, and I don't speed in public (LOL). My MPS6 is far from slow or boring, and I have always wanted a nimble roadster as a second car.

Haha the s2k was probably one of my least favorite cars back in highschool. I couldn't figure out why Honda wanted $55,000 for a car with 240hp.

FerrariEnzo 04-29-2010 03:23 AM

just go test drive if your really serious..

unless you ask people WHO acutally owned one of the cars, otherwise is pointless. It all comes down to which one you like. Doesnt really matter if we this car A.. if you have your heart set on car B, then get it.

all i have to say is jsut test drive and see which one you like..

Vulgate 04-29-2010 10:51 AM

For the value and fun factor and low maintenance, go for the MX-5 PRHT.
As for power, yes, relatively to other cars on your list, its is lower, but really for such a light car, 170HP is way more than enough.
I have no issues with driving my NC on the highway with 170HP. Yes it is a bit noisy and boomy but it is a convertible. And in the city, 170HP is more than enough. Finally, with simple Pro-kit/Mazdaspeed spring and RX-8 sway upgrade, it handles so well and looks fantastic.
There is no pretentious with the Miata. It is what it is.

Mugen EvOlutioN 04-29-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabidRat (Post 6930209)
Haha the s2k was probably one of my least favorite cars back in highschool. I couldn't figure out why Honda wanted $55,000 for a car with 240hp.

blame canada's gay ass system

thought it was $47 not $55

oh well, watever

down in the states when they were still selling, the price was much more reasonable than the shit we get here.

RabidRat 04-29-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6930642)
blame canada's gay ass system

thought it was $47 not $55

oh well, watever

down in the states when they were still selling, the price was much more reasonable than the shit we get here.

I could be wrong but I seem to recall going to honda.ca to settle an argument, and finding that it was something like $54,500 MSRP hahaha.

ShyGuy 04-29-2010 12:45 PM

Z4M by far! z4m maintenance isn't THAT bad. It needs a valve adjustment every 40-50K KM's and that's where the bulk of the money goes. It's actually an easy job to do yourself. You must use the castrol 10w60 oil though (liquid gold $$$).

I really think the z4m will outhandle the s2000 and pass it easily in the straights...The seats ARE very uncomfortable though for long drives.

flagella 04-29-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabidRat (Post 6930678)
I could be wrong but I seem to recall going to honda.ca to settle an argument, and finding that it was something like $54,500 MSRP hahaha.

I just remember WIHOUT a single option, after tax came to about 59k. But those were just Honda.ca online pricing though. I'm sure if you walked into the dealership, it should be a lot lower, but still, it's retarded how much more expensive the cars are here in Canada.

600rr 11-02-2010 12:17 AM

No offense but you sound like a grandma looking for abit of excitement. Miata should be your only option.

I don't think you'd appreciate the raw design of an S2000 nor appreciate the details of a Z4 from what you describe you need it for. Nevermind that its lines are much sexier than a new miata. i find rx8s awkward but id choose its styling over any miata.

Your purpose of a nimble weekend roadster is a clear contrary to what a roadster is. You want cheap maintenance/practical/not noisy/comfy. I suppose you also want a few extra cupholders with that too.

freakshow 11-02-2010 12:27 AM

No offense but this thread is half a year old.

too_slow 11-02-2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 600rr (Post 7169184)
No offense but you sound like a grandma looking for abit of excitement. Miata should be your only option.

I don't think you'd appreciate the raw design of an S2000 nor appreciate the details of a Z4 from what you describe you need it for. Nevermind that its lines are much sexier than a new miata. i find rx8s awkward but id choose its styling over any miata.

Your purpose of a nimble weekend roadster is a clear contrary to what a roadster is. You want cheap maintenance/practical/not noisy/comfy. I suppose you also want a few extra cupholders with that too.

Before you respond to a thread, you should probably read the OP carefully first. Otherwise, you'll come off as retard and a super-deucebag.

BTW, I wouldn't call the Z4 a work of art either. The creases on the door bugs me to no end. Also, you make the Z4 sound like it's a Rolls-Royce or smth. The interior is pretty drab and has acres of shitty plastics. I threw this car in the mix because I love the driving dynamics of it and I love the super-high-revving I6 without being extremely flashy.

By the way, I'm not the one that's so insecure that I need to be rolling in the cheapest BMW with a roundel badge. A 10 yr old 323i with no HIDs and fogs.. seriously?
I would be embarassed to flaunt that as my DP.. LOL

RollingStone 11-03-2010 07:19 AM

s2k!

mmmk 11-03-2010 07:46 PM

my ex had a miata and my friend has a s2k...in the driver's seat, i felt cramped in both of them and i'm 5'7", slim build.

i think it would be uncomfortable to ride from kelowna to vancouver or vice versa.

i cannot comment on the z4m, but i'd pick that one over the 2 that i've mentioned

RangeRover 11-03-2010 09:18 PM

I think they are all terrible but if I had to pick I would get the BMW I guess..

Why don't you just get a Bentley?

buddha1 11-03-2010 10:50 PM

the Z4m is sick!! :drool

buddha1 11-03-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 600rr (Post 7169184)

:facepalm:

Hakkaboy 11-06-2010 11:09 AM

honestly if road noise is such a concern, why are you looking for a roadster?

anyways, regarding the s2000 seats, i drove my ap2 down on a roadtrip that consisted of about 9 driving days of anywhere from 4 to 11 hours, and my back was perfectly fine?

the only thing i would recommend is removing your wallet from your backpocket if you're planning on driving longer than 1 hr.

and the weak radio can be easily remedied by getting a new head unit. that will also reduce the road noise ;)

anyways, sincse this thread is old, not sure if you already bought a new car, but based on what you've said so far, the newer miata's w/ the powered hardtop sounds like your best bet

suzuka84 11-06-2010 01:45 PM

s2k

too_slow 11-06-2010 02:37 PM

Thanks for the post Hakkaboy. No, I haven't bought a car yet. I'm quite content with my MSP6 at the moment.

I'm waiting till Jan when people are poor from Xmas and needs to get rid of their toys! I'll go in for the kill then :)

So far, I am leaning towards the 06/07 Z4 3.0si 6spd manual in Montego blue + black interior. My only mods will be stickey summer tires and an exhaust (thinking about a Remus one..)