REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

an OEM Exhaust on a different car

Hey guys, I bought a civic with a fart can it's way too loud and sounds obnoxious. So I bought a OEM S2000 muffler (might as well since I got it for $20) . If I'm lucky hopefully I don't ever get a ticket or VI but if I do get one...Do I have an argument to overturn it? The S2000 exhaust tip is obviously larger than a civic but it is still OEM. Or is it still OEM now that its on a different car? I don't know. All I know is that its going to be much quieter.
Advertisement
dakillabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Retired Traffic Cop

Glad to see that you can tell when you are going to be a heat magnet! I'm sure that your neighbours will appreciate it too. Please try search first, as I know that the answers you are looking for have been discussed here before.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
14 dolla balla & Bradford Chow aint got nothing on me!

the S2000 doesn't really have a quiet exhaust, i've been pulled over a few times for it.

Last edited by skidmark; 04-24-2010 at 07:09 AM.
XtC-604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
it'll probably be quieter on a civic
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
Glad to see that you can tell when you are going to be a heat magnet! I'm sure that your neighbours will appreciate it too. Please try search first, as I know that the answers you are looking for have been discussed here before.
Yeah its annoying I cant even hear myself and my passenger talking when Im on the highway. I tried using search. I spent most of my "work slacking minutes" (about 30 minutes) looking for an answer. Most of threads were about aftermarket exhaust didn't find one with an oem exhaust. Had to go back to work so I decided to post. It's kind of interesting reading it. It's not black and white with VIs and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtC-604 View Post
the S2000 doesn't really have a quiet exhaust, i've been pulled over a few times for it.
Really? What kinda car was it?
dakillabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Biggest thing is to take off those chrome tips. Once you take away the shiny, then the exhaust will look stockish and shouldn't be a VI magnet.

Besides that, you should have no issues with noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Retired Traffic Cop

I've found that the best way to search here is to use only a keyword or two and restrict the search to the Police Forum. For instance, here I would try "exhaust" and "tip" as OEM probably doesn't come up in the usual posts here. I still got about 100 hits with this search, but the first page of them lists topics that seem to be representative of what you are looking for.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
technically it might be legal under that ridiculous "widened outlet" rule, but if it's as quiet as a factory exhaust, there's a very very very small chance you'll be hassled for it. it's the noise that attracts unwanted attention 99% of the time.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtC-604 View Post
stock ones?

its only loud becuz its high reving, anything 9000rpm will sound insane
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote