REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #26
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I've noticed that condo prices in richmond/ubc still keep rising, maybe because it is convenient for new chinese immigrants/international students?

taylor192 all this info is for residental real estate and not commercial correct?
Advertisement
no_clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #27
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_clue View Post
I've noticed that condo prices in richmond/ubc still keep rising, maybe because it is convenient for new chinese immigrants/international students?
UBC will probably always command a higher price and suffer less loss. Students need housing so buying to rent is a good deal. There's also a lot of retired people who like the neighbourhood. Plus the professionals that work at the university.

That's not to say prices at UBC will always go up, just means they won't go as far down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_clue View Post
taylor192 all this info is for residental real estate and not commercial correct?
Yes. Buying commercial property requires a different mindset.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #28
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Since you're asking this question, I assume you're just getting started. I'd read:

Money Road by Garth Turner - if you disregard the real estate rhetoric it is a good overview of different types of investments.

Motley Fool - a good overview of how we're in a communication age, not information age. Picking the best stocks is about communication, and there's lots of way to communicate that information today.

After that stick to mutual funds until you have a handle on looking at reports and understanding them. Funds are diversified and will minimize your initial risk, albeit for a fee. I'd stay away from ETFs that match the markets, they have been holding steady for > 6 months, ie no gains.

You can also sign up for an iTrade simulation account and give trading a go for a month.
I found the first book you recommended, but can't sem to find Montly Fool. Can you give me some more info on it.

thanks in advance.
Devastator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #29
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
I found the first book you recommended, but can't sem to find Montly Fool. Can you give me some more info on it.

thanks in advance.
http://www.fool.com/
http://www.fool.com/shop/books/index.htm

This is a very good site to add to your daily or weekly reading. I'm tempted to sign up for the newsletter.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #30
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I really wish we can see how many people actually live or rent condo units. As I look around it just seems alot of units are vacant. Theres this unit across from me that has been vacant for 6 months and its not listed for sale...I guess they are too rich to care???

I think there will be alot of people in financial difficulty when people start renewing their 5 year mtg @ 40 amort in a few years. Too many FTB not looking in to the future.
westcoastgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #31
Ubereem Mod

welcoem back taylor192. Missed our debates.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #32
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt-R R34 View Post
welcoem back taylor192. Missed our debates.
Thanks dude, I miss debates too. Hopefully others won't take them too personally in the future.

Edit: dude you're one of the moderators of this forum! Why can't we post pics?
Old 05-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #33
Banned (ABWS)

I found this today and thought it was hilarious that the Realtor actually contacted a few websites to have the pictures taken down cause it incites people to break the law.

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogsp...rown-chip.html

Damnit, why can we not post pics? I'm going to ask.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nSTO-vZpSg...+pricing+1.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_nSTO-vZpSg...+pricing+2.png
Old 05-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #34
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Taylor I've been reading everything you post but it all seems so overwhelming.. where can a newb newb newbie start? (aside from reading Money Road)?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #35
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
Welcome back Taylor. We've had some run-ins before but you're one of a few that can discuss a point with some eloquence.

I'm inclined to agree with your viewpoint on the Vancouver housing market. As the son of a long-time realtor, I believe that the market moves in cycles. I've witnessed and lived through it as things went really dry a couple of times in my dad's career. I don't think we've seen the trough in this market yet.

Are there any sites with local commentary that you follow?

Kev
Old 05-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #36
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
For some reason, this forum was set to not show pics. I have fixed that.

Welcome back!
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #37
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Testing

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #38
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Taylor I've been reading everything you post but it all seems so overwhelming.. where can a newb newb newbie start? (aside from reading Money Road)?
Just ask questions, it is how I got started. Start a new thread and post what you're confused about. I'll answer and I'm sure others here will chime in.

I definitely recommend Money Road if you're confused. It is a very good beginner book, and not expensive. Buying a book is never a bad investment IMHO.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #39
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Welcome back Taylor. We've had some run-ins before but you're one of a few that can discuss a point with some eloquence.

I'm inclined to agree with your viewpoint on the Vancouver housing market. As the son of a long-time realtor, I believe that the market moves in cycles. I've witnessed and lived through it as things went really dry a couple of times in my dad's career. I don't think we've seen the trough in this market yet.

Are there any sites with local commentary that you follow?

Kev
Thanks! Any run-ins are not taking personally (unless you're a moderator and ban me to shut me up ), so please don't read too much into my sarcasm, I tend to get carried away.

I wish more FTB knew the ups/downs of the real estate industry. Many (myself included, I'm 31yo) have only ever seen the ups, as most of the 90s was flat, then took off in 2002.

I think I've posted them before:

http://vancouvercondo.info/
http://agentwill.com/
http://whispersfromtheedgeoftherainforest.blogspot.com/
http://www.chineseinvancouver.ca/category/real-estate/
http://www.yattermatters.com/

Some sites are Realtors and are biased, yet it is good to know the bias. My personal favourite is VancouverCondoInfo, especially the comments where many people post the latest news.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:21 AM   #40
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
No, I'm content to park my money in safe investments for while. RBC prefered shares pay 6+% dividend, which cause dividends are tax advantaged is like making 8+% of capital gains.
What's the exit plan and time horizon on these bank preferred shares? In particular, you'll eventually want to cash out. You'll collect a dividend, but how do you know your investment won't drop 20% when you want your money back?
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:57 AM   #41
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goo3 View Post
What's the exit plan and time horizon on these bank preferred shares? In particular, you'll eventually want to cash out. You'll collect a dividend, but how do you know your investment won't drop 20% when you want your money back?
I don't have an exit strategy (no short term use for the money) so short term fluctuations don't matter.

How do I know any investment won't drop 20%? You don't, thus you build a balanced portfolio to deal with the ups and downs of different asset classes. This is why I want the majority of my money out of real estate, to spread out the risk of ups and downs.

Besides, even if it did drop, making 7% tax-advantaged dividend every year is better than just owning common stock that may also fall yet didn't pay a dividend.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #42
Rs has made me the man i am today!

^ If you don't mind, can you let us know what's currently in your portfolio and what you're planning to purchase?
waddy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #43
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddy41 View Post
^ If you don't mind, can you let us know what's currently in your portfolio and what you're planning to purchase?
That I would prefer not to. I don't mind giving advice, yet I don't want to be subject to others complaints if they copy me exactly and my investments tank as some have. There are investment advisers who get paid very good money to do this for you, use them. I will be soon when I get the money for my sold house.

I will say I have a variety of accounts. From mutual funds at a big bank, to stock purchases on my iTrade account.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #44

Quote:
I don't have an exit strategy (no short term use for the money) so short term fluctuations don't matter.

How do I know any investment won't drop 20%? You don't, thus you build a balanced portfolio to deal with the ups and downs of different asset classes. This is why I want the majority of my money out of real estate, to spread out the risk of ups and downs.

Besides, even if it did drop, making 7% tax-advantaged dividend every year is better than just owning common stock that may also fall yet didn't pay a dividend.
The current instability in the financial sector does not look promising in the long run, especially with all of the financial fraud being exposed, the public is losing confidence in it. I see a downward trend to be honest, but you can probably capitalize on some dips throughout the next few years.

Preferred shares is great, but I would invest in another sector not as volatile.
Ducdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #45
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

great to have you back taylor192... it's reading your discussions that make me wish I pursued an education in business instead of healthcare so I would be able to make as much sense of financial logic as you do... As it stands, my financial understanding still lies in the beginner/moderate stages, from whatever I can learn on my own, but I shall keep learning as I go of course...

Looking forward to more insight on the real estate market from you and Chuck Norris...
Old 05-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #46
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I came into the business + financial not expecting much. Low and behold I found this! Thanks Taylor for your informative insights.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #47
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
I came into the business + financial not expecting much. Low and behold I found this! Thanks Taylor for your informative insights.
Thanks for the kind comments

My goal is to help young people make good informed decisions. I bought a house in 2004 cause of the typical "owning a house is the path to riches" that has become all too common. I was not entirely informed, and I got lucky. I do not want to repeat that mistake, nor see others repeat it.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #48
HELP ME PLS!!!

Taylor, are there any books that you can recommend for real estate investment, particularly in the US?
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #49
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

nevermind

Last edited by Gnomes; 05-13-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #50

^ isn't that what the red line is for? real dollars?
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote