REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: vancouver
Posts: 501
Thanked 441 Times in 127 Posts
disputing a ticket (complicated story)

So, this story is a little bit complicated, but please bear with me.

Things to keep in mind:

I'm a new driver.

Story:
Yesterday, i accidently scrapped my car, so i brought it to the shop right away to get it fixed (i love my car). Today, there was a fight near our school, so i decided to go watch it (Stupid i know, but i'm driving my mom's car which does not have a N sign on the back, but i was going to drive it to the garage shop because it also needs to be maintained). Long story short, cops came, and told us to go away. So i hop into my mom's car and two of my friends came in with me. Now, i start driving away, and this police was following me and 1 minute later i was pulled over. I got a driving to contrary restriction (two passengers) and failure to display L or N sign. Now if this isn't bad enough, he always towed away the car for "safekeeping". Okay, Now i'm choked. He than pulled my friends out of the car and asked them question, did a semi search (they dressed heaty, and he swore at my friends, and me once.). After everything was down, and my car was almost towed, he called me, and crossed out "Failure to display L or N sign.".

Although he crossed out one ticket, i'm still pretty mad because he was an asshole to me. My other friend also got pulled over by another police, but nothing happened to him too( he didn't have his N at the back), which makes me even more sad.

I want to dispute the ticket, because i'm broke and i don't want to pay another 109 and possible LOSE 3 points. So my argument for the judge will be like " I drove my friends for safety reasons, because there was a fight and i don't want them to get hurt. Thats the only reason i let them in my car. I couldn't put another N on the back of my car because the car that i drive was in the garage, and i don't Have an extra N sign, my printer was broken, and I didn't want to steal some poor guy's N. Also, can i use his vulgarity against him? he said BS. Also he still has my insurance papers and i don't know how to get them back . So this week has been really Sh!tty for me.

Any insights?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the block of text.

edit* i know i'm risking getting two tickets again, but man i am sad
Advertisement

Last edited by sekin67835; 05-07-2010 at 07:30 PM.
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,364
Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Insight: it's not going to work.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: vancouver
Posts: 501
Thanked 441 Times in 127 Posts
I'm aware i am at fault, but i don't want to minus 3 points :'(
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
I am Hook'd on RS
 
vision87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: van
Posts: 61
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dude you can dispute the fee of the ticket... still says your guilty but you'll most likely get a reduced fine and the dispute will give you months extra before you have to pay
vision87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,364
Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision87 View Post
dude you can dispute the fee of the ticket... still says your guilty but you'll most likely get a reduced fine and the dispute will give you months extra before you have to pay
There is also a minimum that has to paid for a fine. Regardless, it seems that the OP is more concerned with points and there is simply nothing that can be done about that unless the actual offences are changed.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: vancouver
Posts: 501
Thanked 441 Times in 127 Posts
If he doesn't show up i simply win correct?

also, he crossed out one ticket for me, but it was the failure to display N or L.

If he does show up in court, do you think he can change the ticket he crosses out?

obviously i'm hoping i don't get charged for any tickets, but assume the worst happens, judge probably won't care about my story, and i get two tickets.

oh yeah, and he still has my insurance papers for the accord. I don't know what to do :/
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:49 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
slammer111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,627
Thanked 273 Times in 90 Posts
Points aren't that bad. They go away after a year or so. Just behave for the next bit, and you'll be good to go.

If there's a lesson to be learned, it's to obey your restrictions.

Also tell your friends not to dress like a bunch of lame-o gangstas. That won't help you in any situation ya know? Oh, and you'll look back in about 10 years and realize how retarded you actually looked.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Going to watch a fight = bad choice. I'm sure if it was a life & death situation at the fight your friends could have run away to safety.

Having your friends get into your car knowing that you didn't have your N displayed and were not permitted to have them in there = 2 bad choices.

If he was such an AH then I can't understand why he gave you a break on one of the tickets? Giving you both tickets would mean you got a suspension...he gave you a real break.

Just to recap...you should not have even gotten into your mother's car & driven in the first place. You knew it was not legal. Everything that followed was the result of your continuing bad choices. As far as getting your insurance papers back, if he has them, why not contact the police at the location on your ticket...it's down at the bottom ? If he has them I'm sure you can make arrangements to get them back. They are only of use to you.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
Retired Traffic Cop
 
skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 9,023
Thanked 115 Times in 66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
Points aren't that bad. They go away after a year or so.
No, they don't.
__________________
Have you ever met anyone that would admit to being less than a better than average driver ??

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: vancouver
Posts: 501
Thanked 441 Times in 127 Posts
Fight wasn't bad, it was just two other guys who didn't like each other. I did say it was my fault, i just don't want to have points to be added to my DL. My reason for posting was to see if there was a work around for not gaining points.

The reason i thought he was an AH was not because he gave me the ticket, but instead of making sure my friends don't get back in the car, he tows it away. My other friends who were pulled over by road block or whatever who had a fully loaded car didn't even get his car towed. Yes, he was generous to cross out one of the ticket, but towing the car was just mean.

edit*

I am not blaming anyone, yeah but boys will be boys. We all make bad choices, i know i deserve a punishment, but that really hurt haha. Also, my other friend who got pulled over there who didn't have a N on his back didn't even get a ticket. He just got questioned. I know the cop was just doing his job, but i still don't understand why he would tow the car.

Last edited by sekin67835; 05-08-2010 at 11:49 AM.
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
slammer111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,627
Thanked 273 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
No, they don't.
What? I thought something like 3 points went away every birthday? Or are we talking about different things here?
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #12
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: vancouver
Posts: 501
Thanked 441 Times in 127 Posts
i think the points don't go away when your a New driver. but for class 5 i think its every 5 years to reset
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,364
Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekin67835 View Post
Fight wasn't bad, it was just two other guys who didn't like each other. I did say it was my fault, i just don't want to have points to be added to my DL. My reason for posting was to see if there was a work around for not gaining points.

The reason i thought he was an AH was not because he gave me the ticket, but instead of making sure my friends don't get back in the car, he tows it away. My other friends who were pulled over by road block or whatever who had a fully loaded car didn't even get his car towed. Yes, he was generous to cross out one of the ticket, but towing the car was just mean.

edit*

I am not blaming anyone, yeah but boys will be boys. We all make bad choices, i know i deserve a punishment, but that really hurt haha. Also, my other friend who got pulled over there who didn't have a N on his back didn't even get a ticket. He just got questioned. I know the cop was just doing his job, but i still don't understand why he would tow the car.
He towed your car to make sure your friends don't jump back in. How else do you make sure they don't go back in without trailing you for the next few hours or even the entire day?

By towing your car.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: vancouver
Posts: 501
Thanked 441 Times in 127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
He towed your car to make sure your friends don't jump back in. How else do you make sure they don't go back in without trailing you for the next few hours or even the entire day?

By towing your car.
So he towed it, but he wouldn't call a taxi to ensure my friends wont get in my car. Thats another possiblity he could have taken, and much safer too. I can just walk home and grab another car ( my house was just a block away he i'm sure he knows that too)
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #15
MiX iT Up!
 
tiger_handheld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 7,694
Thanked 1,909 Times in 772 Posts
ICBC points are like RS points - they give you street cred.

On Topic: why can't you say someone stole the N off the back of your moms car? and u were thinking about ur friends safety when u let them in - and it was the wrong decision.
__________________

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.


Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #16
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: vancouver
Posts: 501
Thanked 441 Times in 127 Posts
cause he was an asshole. LOL. i want to tell the judge that, but he did cross out that ticket. i don't want any tickets, or i rather have the failure to display N or L than the driving contrary to restriction.

k he wasn't much of an asshole, but you get what i mean. He was just doing his job. I've seen nicer cops though
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:27 AM   #17
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
moomooCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,227
Thanked 153 Times in 52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
He towed your car to make sure your friends don't jump back in. How else do you make sure they don't go back in without trailing you for the next few hours or even the entire day?

By towing your car.
As much as I want to facepalm the OP, I think that you're making a ridiculous argument... You can literally make the same argument you made for every ticketable offense. "He towed the car to make sure he can't speed again." "He towed the car to make sure he didn't run the next red light." "He towed the car to make sure he doesn't run another stop sign." I think you get my point by now?
moomooCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #18
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,364
Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moomooCow View Post
As much as I want to facepalm the OP, I think that you're making a ridiculous argument... You can literally make the same argument you made for every ticketable offense. "He towed the car to make sure he can't speed again." "He towed the car to make sure he didn't run the next red light." "He towed the car to make sure he doesn't run another stop sign." I think you get my point by now?
Those are completely different scenarios.

Not to mention that the OP didn't have his 'N' and therefore would be going against restrictions anyways. Unless the OP is a magical gnome that can pull ICBC 'N's out of the air, there is no other way to ensure the OP to follow his restrictions.

I think you get my point now?
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #19
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Oh noooooo...CRS used logic again.....oh nooooooo Dagnabbit man...after all this is Revscene. What were you thinking?
Seriously though...it's called preventing the continuation of the offence.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #20
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: vancouver
Posts: 501
Thanked 441 Times in 127 Posts
haha, even though im in a shitty state right now, you guys make me laugh
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #21
GO FLAMES GO
 
Tegra_Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kamloops
Posts: 4,293
Thanked 2,051 Times in 610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post
What? I thought something like 3 points went away every birthday? Or are we talking about different things here?
they stay on your drivers abstract for 5 years! then after the 5th year from the date of the infraction they are removed from said drivers abstract
__________________
2013 Toyota Tundra CrewMax TRD Offroad *CURRENT*
2005 Nissan Xterra SE *SOLD*
1991 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X Widebody *SOLD*
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #22
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
Fafine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 3,245
Thanked 1,254 Times in 394 Posts
How many points does a class 5 have. I remember for N you only get 4 points..
Posted via RS Mobile
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #23
Retired Traffic Cop
 
skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Nanoose Bay, BC
Posts: 9,023
Thanked 115 Times in 66 Posts
I'll bet that there is a sticky somewhere that has to do with points. Hmm, maybe it's even found at the top of the Police Forum index page....
__________________
Have you ever met anyone that would admit to being less than a better than average driver ??

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #24
Rider
 
gdoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Surrey
Posts: 3,269
Thanked 2,078 Times in 530 Posts
i dont think points go away for N drivers i got mine taken away for 3 months and im still on probation untill i get class 5
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #25
Rider
 
gdoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Surrey
Posts: 3,269
Thanked 2,078 Times in 530 Posts
and i dont think your plan will work unless he doesnt show up your defense is pretty shitty lol
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net