REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Where do you shop for your groceries? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/614397-where-do-you-shop-your-groceries.html)

vafanculo 05-10-2010 08:55 PM

Where do you shop for your groceries?

Just wondering where everyone shops at. Maybe we can find out cheaper places.

For my vegetables and fruits I prefer those grocery stores along commercial drive, but it's quite a drive for me so I head to superstore. I do most of my shopping at superstore but buy my meats from this Asian store in Richmond near Richmond center. And costco for a few limited things.

I try and avoid safeway lol.
Posted via RS Mobile

gabi 05-10-2010 09:10 PM

costco prob 80-90% of the time.... superstore for a few things here and there

never anywhere else

Spectre_Cdn 05-10-2010 09:25 PM

Safeway for deli meats, cream, yogurt, steaks
China/Rice World for Asian stuff
Costco/Superstore for prepared/frozen food, bread
occasionally RPM for produce, and my neighbourhood grocery store for meat and produce
Posted via RS Mobile

kluk 05-10-2010 09:57 PM

Eveything from Save-on-foods.

Fafine 05-10-2010 09:59 PM

everything from safeway because i like to go half an hour before closing when theres no people and no line ups

waddy41 05-10-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kluk (Post 6946842)
Eveything from Save-on-foods.

me too

safeway is way too expensive

Meowjin 05-10-2010 11:24 PM

costco/superstore/local butchers and deli's.

Senna4ever 05-11-2010 12:39 AM

- Granville Island Public market
- Urban Fare
- Whole Foods

Meowjin 05-11-2010 02:09 AM

am i just to accept that vancouver does not have a good butcher.

TOS'd 05-11-2010 02:44 AM

I usually try and support local shops around the city. Other than that, I usually get all the frozen and prepackaged foods from costco and safeway.
Posted via RS Mobile

Great68 05-11-2010 06:56 AM

Depends on where the sales are.

Mostly Fairway Market because it's the closest and on my way home from work, but I don't get meat from them. They're usually the cheapest too.

Thrifty foods has some of the best quality produce of all the supermarket chains, and they try to get most of their product from local sources but they are also more expensive than others. I go there when I want to cook a special dinner.

Save-On-Foods is usally the middle of the road in terms of quality and price. They have good sales too.

I've never liked Superstore... I think their produce is garbage, everytime I've gone there it's always been in bad shape.

Marioo1991 05-11-2010 07:28 AM

I do most of my shopping at superstore & costco

I go to the T&T for meat

Safeway has some really good specials... thats the only time I go, especially when they have chicken breasts on sale for 2.99/pound. Normally its around double that price.

Tapioca 05-11-2010 08:34 AM

Superstore has probably the worst produce, but I still shop there for non-perishables and packaged goods.

I don't buy a lot of fresh meat, but usually I just get it from T&T. Save-on Foods has become fairly competitive and since it's a couple of blocks away from my place, I go there quite a bit too.

If I'm in the mood for some good produce, I usually stop by Donald's Market on Commercial on the way home from work. They also have a great selection of organic/fair-trade jazz at reasonable prices (i.e. not Whole Foods prices) if you're into that sort of thing too.

waddy41 05-11-2010 08:50 AM

^ Donald's Market sounds good...I've driven by a few times but never went in...
I'll give it a try...

Marioo1991 05-11-2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 6947275)
Superstore has probably the worst produce, but I still shop there for non-perishables and packaged goods.

I don't buy a lot of fresh meat, but usually I just get it from T&T. Save-on Foods has become fairly competitive and since it's a couple of blocks away from my place, I go there quite a bit too.

If I'm in the mood for some good produce, I usually stop by Donald's Market on Commercial on the way home from work. They also have a great selection of organic/fair-trade jazz at reasonable prices (i.e. not Whole Foods prices) if you're into that sort of thing too.

Donalds is pretty good, I go to the one on hastings by Nanaimo. One of my favourite places for fruit/vegetables is Triple A Market on Hastings by Willingdon. They have a huge selection of fresh vegetables/fruit and really good prices.

lowside67 05-11-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinHurricane (Post 6947112)

I've been pretty happy with Cioffi's on Hastings personally. Most people seem to accept that there are a few good butchers at Granville Island as well, they just are more expensive.

For general shopping I really like Stong's on Dunbar but dont usually make the trek all the way out there... I also like Thrifty's though I dont find their prices to be great. Save-On is okay but the quality is really hit and miss and I hate buying meat there.

Liquid_o2 05-11-2010 11:50 AM

Two EE's Farmers Market on Fraser Hwy and 164 St in Surrey. Great fresh daily produce, and just a few minutes from my house.

Save-On and Superstore for everything else depending on sales etc.

unit 05-11-2010 12:21 PM

save on foods
whole foods

bd0n 05-11-2010 12:38 PM

killarney market
costco
superstore
famous foods, windsor for certain things

Meowjin 05-11-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 6947335)
I've been pretty happy with Cioffi's on Hastings personally. Most people seem to accept that there are a few good butchers at Granville Island as well, they just are more expensive.

For general shopping I really like Stong's on Dunbar but dont usually make the trek all the way out there... I also like Thrifty's though I dont find their prices to be great. Save-On is okay but the quality is really hit and miss and I hate buying meat there.

Thanks!
Ill check out the place on hastings
Posted via RS Mobile

BlackZRoadster 05-11-2010 03:08 PM

urban fare,
i kno prices are a little more, but what's 10-15 bucks more per week for good and fresher produce.

hotong 05-11-2010 03:49 PM

tnt market
save on foods
superstore
costco

orange7 05-11-2010 05:35 PM

RS buy and sell forum.

Senna4ever 05-11-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinHurricane (Post 6947112)

- Armando's in the Granville Island Public market.
- Nikuya for Wagyu , Kobe Beef & Berkshire Pork. $$$$$$, but gooooooood!
- There are some Halaal meat shops on the North Shore that I hear are good, but I've never gone myself.
- Friendly Meats on Hastings and Nanaimo has good quality meats at good prices.

orange7 05-11-2010 05:45 PM

okay, a serious question now.

Why don't you ppl just get all your groceries from just one place?

Wouldn't the time saved worth the money spent?

(I don't buy groceries, so I don't know the reason behind this.)