REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Mr Freeze Pops Jumbo Nutritional Value (https://www.revscene.net/forums/615013-mr-freeze-pops-jumbo-nutritional-value.html)

ASG111 05-17-2010 10:18 PM

Mr Freeze Pops Jumbo Nutritional Value

hey guys, what do you think of the nutritional value in these kind of things?

http://www3.telus.net/public/tw2110/May17/12.jpg

This is supposedly their nutritional breakdown

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/cal...e-jumbo-371245

and somebody on a forum said the following ...

"See those "Mr. Freeze" things?

They are LIQUID DEATH IN A TUBE.

Please think twice before you load up your freezer with those horrible things and give them to your kids thinking they are a harmless treat.

Give them an orange or apple. Pour some juice into a ice-cube tray, ANYTHING but the high high pure liquid sugar and food colour and artificial flavour that is a Mr. Freeze.

I don't like that I have to say this, but if a SINGLE person inclined to buy those things for kids stops and gives themselves a forehead-whack and a "what was I THINKING!?!" realization, it will have been worth it.

If you must keep treats around, consider the ice cream or chocolate bars... the pure liquid sugar in those Mr. Freeze is an express ticket to adult onset diabetes."

For all those that are knowledgeable in nutrition, do you think what he is saying is true? Sugar is only 23g out of the 150g and 100g of calories. I mean, it is not THAT bad to the form that it will cause diabetes, will it? The things is i've been eating these for a long time and a close friend's parents of mine took concern after sawing the above post, and send it to me and suggest that I refund them. I don't want to disrespect her but I just want to know the details before taking further actions.

Is what the poster saying true? thanks

Conan O'Brien Sex Video 05-17-2010 10:40 PM

i wouldn't eat that.... it's all sugar with no nutrition

XtC-604 05-17-2010 10:43 PM

zzz modern people are far too caught up with this nutritional bullshit, the 23g of sugar will be quickly worked off by a child today, unless of course the child sits in one spot all day playing a game while eating that stuff. With summer quickly coming, the amount of sweat a child produces and energy used while playing outside is more than enough to burn those measly 23g of sugar

SkinnyPupp 05-18-2010 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASG111 (Post 6955958)
For all those that are knowledgeable in nutrition, do you think what he is saying is true? Sugar is only 23g out of the 150g and 100g of calories.

It's not 100g of calories, it's 100 kcalories. Carbohydrates are 4 kcal per 1g. So 25g of sugar = 100 kcalories.

Feeding your kids stuff like these all the time is borderline child abuse. I have to pay the price for the rest of my life for all the junk I ate as a kid, and I'm sure many are in the same boat.

And the amount of calories is not the relevant part, it's the type of nutrition you are giving them. Yes kids can burn calories, but what you are doing is giving them huge blood sugar spikes all the time. That is fucking with their hormones in a very bad way.

XtC-604 05-18-2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6956173)
It's not 100g of calories, it's 100 kcalories. Carbohydrates are 4 kcal per 1g. So 25g of sugar = 100 kcalories.

Feeding your kids stuff like these all the time is borderline child abuse. I have to pay the price for the rest of my life for all the junk I ate as a kid, and I'm sure many are in the same boat.

And the amount of calories is not the relevant part, it's the type of nutrition you are giving them. Yes kids can burn calories, but what you are doing is giving them huge blood sugar spikes all the time. That is fucking with their hormones in a very bad way. The article is correct, but not exactly in the way they think it is.

the huge blood sugar spike supplies are used up so fast by kids, let me find the article on the amount of calories a kid burns in 1hour of play time, with that being said, i'm not saying they should eat this stuff instead of drinking water or eating a proper meal, but having 1 or 2 a day won't hurt

ASG111 05-18-2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

And the amount of calories is not the relevant part, it's the type of nutrition you are giving them. Yes kids can burn calories, but what you are doing is giving them huge blood sugar spikes all the time. That is fucking with their hormones in a very bad way.

Hey Skinnypup, what about if this was eaten by a late adult like, 19-25 age, would this be any different than feeding it to kids?

SizzleChest 05-18-2010 09:11 AM

a can of pop is worse than one of these things. for me though, the issue is teaching your kids that these are not the types of food that should be consumed frequently. when i was coming up, my folks fed me a lot of crap and to this day, i still have a hard time moderating my junk-food intake. i'm getting better at keeping away the bad stuff, but if i bring it home, it's not very long before there's nothing left. at my worst, i polished off a full box (36) of big turk's in 3 days.

LiquidTurbo 05-18-2010 09:33 AM

When I was a kid I loved those kinds.. aren't they sweetened with HFCS?? No wonder they were addicting.

Looking back though.. I am ashamed at myself. If I knew what I knew now I would never touch those things.

I wonder if in 20 years, I'll look back at the same way of the things I'm eating now... perceiving it to be healthy.

Also, eating that amount of coloring can't be that good for you. The good old days man... my favorite color was blue and white! haha.

the_rickster 05-18-2010 11:47 AM

if mr freeze is liquid death in a tube, what the hell is coca-cola?

140cal
45mg sodium
39 g sugar

Meowjin 05-18-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

fuck it's a kid, let them have their sweets once in a while.

SizzleChest 05-18-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo (Post 6956449)
Also, eating that amount of coloring can't be that good for you. The good old days man... my favorite color was blue and white! haha.

remember screaming saucers?

hal0g0dv2 05-18-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SizzleChest (Post 6956416)
a can of pop is worse than one of these things. for me though, the issue is teaching your kids that these are not the types of food that should be consumed frequently. when i was coming up, my folks fed me a lot of crap and to this day, i still have a hard time moderating my junk-food intake. i'm getting better at keeping away the bad stuff, but if i bring it home, it's not very long before there's nothing left. at my worst, i polished off a full box (36) of big turk's in 3 days.

dude that is nutty lol

CP.AR 05-18-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_rickster (Post 6956613)
if mr freeze is liquid death in a tube, what the hell is coca-cola?

140cal
45mg sodium
39 g sugar

140Cal.

for calories lower and upper case C makes a differece :)

LiquidTurbo 05-18-2010 10:54 PM

A can of pop is just as bad. I suppose a freezie once in a while (maybe a few times in the summer months) can't be harmful?

DC5-S 05-18-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinHurricane (Post 6956648)

its okay once in a while but not too often.. and jumbo ones are a lot worse then normal sized ones there like 3x as big

vafanculo 05-18-2010 11:46 PM

Kinda OT but how bad is gelato/frozen yogurt? I seem to be having one or the other 3x per week lately
Posted via RS Mobile

twitchyzero 05-18-2010 11:48 PM

and slushies are much better?

Meowjin 05-19-2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafanculo (Post 6957525)
Kinda OT but how bad is gelato/frozen yogurt? I seem to be having one or the other 3x per week lately
Posted via RS Mobile

make homemade.

I dont have a recipe on me, but I've made some by accident with peaches and it's possibly the best thing ive ever made.

Gumby 05-19-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Picard (Post 6957149)
140Cal.

for calories lower and upper case C makes a differece :)

Huh? What's the diff between C and c when it comes to calories?

SkinnyPupp 05-19-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinHurricane (Post 6956648)

Once in a while is fine. But then you have a can of Coke once in a while. Then some candy once in a while. Then some tim hortons once in a while. Then some chocolate bars once in a while. Then some fries once in a while. Then a bag of chips once in a while. Then cereal every morning, and rice and potatoes every night. All of a sudden "once in a while" becomes huge blood sugar spikes every day, then comes shitty insulin sensetivity, then comes metabolic syndrome and adult onset diabetes.

gdoh 05-19-2010 09:21 AM

give them chocolate milk instead =]

vafanculo 05-19-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinHurricane (Post 6957579)
make homemade.

I dont have a recipe on me, but I've made some by accident with peaches and it's possibly the best thing ive ever made.

That's not a bad idea, but I just eat tubs of plain yogurt at home. This whole spike of frozen yogurt is usually the result of a stroll around the beach type thing with the wife or family.
Posted via RS Mobile

Meowjin 05-19-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6957831)
Once in a while is fine. But then you have a can of Coke once in a while. Then some candy once in a while. Then some tim hortons once in a while. Then some chocolate bars once in a while. Then some fries once in a while. Then a bag of chips once in a while. Then cereal every morning, and rice and potatoes every night. All of a sudden "once in a while" becomes huge blood sugar spikes every day, then comes shitty insulin sensetivity, then comes metabolic syndrome and adult onset diabetes.

come on man, be real. Not every parent is a dumb fuck. I was raised to eat shit loads of vegetables, and meats. It all comes to cultural background. You probably had a lazy mom that fed you mcdonalds every day.

LiquidTurbo 05-19-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6957831)

Nice slippery slope fallacy:thumbsup:.

Meowjin 05-19-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafanculo (Post 6957844)
That's not a bad idea, but I just eat tubs of plain yogurt at home. This whole spike of frozen yogurt is usually the result of a stroll around the beach type thing with the wife or family.
Posted via RS Mobile

ok what I actually made was sorbet.

It's very very easy to make. You could google a recipe.