REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 08-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #26
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Trust me. You do not want.
It appears that the cute waitresses are no longer there. Instead, they r replaces by c lais. Not my cup of tea no more
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
TomBox_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:44 AM   #27
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

no, no c lais, but not-so-cute waitresses... I've gone twice now, and like the Miso Ramen.
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #28
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
TomBox_N, you need new glasses.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #29
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
for some strange reason, the chef insists on putting a stroke of soy sauce on top of every piece.
Because that's how nigiri sushi is traditionally served.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:13 AM   #30
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inzomniak View Post
Because that's how nigiri sushi is traditionally served.
Um, no?
At least not to my understanding.
Perhaps it's a regional thing. Would you happen to have a link?

My understanding was chef puts wasabi on rice, and customer dips sushi on into soy, fish side down.
Soy does not touch the rice.

But heck, what do i know? I'm a proper sushi chef or anything.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:51 AM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
wait isn't it offensive to dip your nigiri in soy sauce. or is that sashimi if you're going to be all traditionalist about it.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #32
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

maybe i should try here next time i;m in van
phunky.FOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #33
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

went there today, waitresses were average looking but very friendly, food was great though
Honyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #34

Went there a few days ago. Overall the cooked food was well prepared. The tempura was very well prepared, as the paper only had a few minor oil drips. The pork was fried nicely too. The sushi was fine, nothing to write home about. The rolls were a bit on the loose side.

My main complaint would be the size of the pork cutlet curry. For $10.50, the piece of pork was smaller than the soya sauce dish. I might have been unlucky, but next time I'm having the beef curry.
mrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #35
Banned By Establishment

Ajisai Sushi Bar in Kerrisdale square is better. Trust me, some of the freshest and best tasting sushi you'll have, they don't have a full-size kitchen since nothing is fried there. It's just pure sushi.

Last edited by WHEYsted; 08-23-2010 at 10:01 AM.
WHEYsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #36
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamehustla View Post
Ajisai Sushi Bar in Kerrisdale square is better. Trust me, some of the freshest and best tasting sushi you'll have, they don't have a full-size kitchen since nothing is fried there. It's just pure sushi.
I ate there and it really wasn't anything special.
darkfroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #37

No link.

Just eat omakaze at any high-end sushi bar, especially in tokyo. At some places you don't even get soy sauce.

Even at those two places in the Tsukiji market in Tokyo with a lot of people, the soy sauce is brushed on

But then again, what do I know... it's not like I'm Japanese or anything. I just spend a lot of money a month eating at these places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Um, no?
At least not to my understanding.
Perhaps it's a regional thing. Would you happen to have a link?

My understanding was chef puts wasabi on rice, and customer dips sushi on into soy, fish side down.
Soy does not touch the rice.

But heck, what do i know? I'm a proper sushi chef or anything.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #38

Ajisai has gone downhill about 3 years ago... it's been quite disappointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamehustla View Post
Old 09-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #39
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrks View Post
My main complaint would be the size of the pork cutlet curry. For $10.50, the piece of pork was smaller than the soya sauce dish. I might have been unlucky, but next time I'm having the beef curry.
Nope, I think that's just how they do it there. The beef curry was practically the same, portion wise.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:11 AM   #40
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzomniak View Post
Ajisai has gone downhill about 3 years ago... it's been quite disappointing
i've been going to aji-sai for awhile and i've found it fairly consistent for the past few years i've eaten there. don't think ive actually had a bad meal ever from there. you can't expect the same quality as daiwa or sushi dai in tsukiji but i still find aji-sai does it the best next to sushi hachi in terms of freshness. service last time i went was quite disappointing though.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #41
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

finally got a chance to go there last night. it was good, but not great. probably because i had a higher expectation since you guys are raving about this place. 8/10

sushi hachi is much better, and i'd say the place reminds me of toshi, minus the wait.

oh, and spreading soy sauce on the fish prior to serving kinda sucks.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:27 AM   #42
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Went today. Good, but not the best. Better than the majority, I guess.

I liked the misoshiru there - subtle type and not the instant crap you get nowadays. Service was OK. The waitress is someone I knew from way back. Actually, the wife knows her. Anyway, I went at 5:30 when they opened for dinner. I stayed for about an hour. Another younger waitress was there later. She was young and inexperienced, but hey, this place is new and it's hard to get good help these days. Time will tell if this place evolves into something more. The owner is Japanese and the restaurant is his retirement project.

One thing I noticed right away was the rice and the gari (ginger) - very nice. Tempura sauce was pretty good and it came with daikon oroshi and freshly grated ginger - nice touch.

Lots of little things that made this restaurant better than most. Jazz playing in the background was cool. Next time, I'll go to the sushi bar and chat with the chef. Apparently, he's a pretty interesting guy.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #43
Director of RS Cares

^He's a very nice guy!!
Posted via RS Mobile
miss_crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #44
Banned (ABWS)

the restaurant itself sure is getting a lot of buisness though, usually a lot of japanese people go there. i was surprised at first cuz i didnt know there were that many japanese people in east van haha
BlacknJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #45
Need to Seek Professional Help

went a couple weeks ago with my buddy. we were lazy to drive far so we went there. he's been there few times before and is familiar with the chef since he always asks for something thats not on the menu. good food in my opinion. the kobe beef was really really good. apparently it's the legit stuff straight from japan.
impulseX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #46

FYI: They're closed for the next 10 days for renovations. The owner said they're expanding the bar.

We left and decided to eat at Kura Sushi, by Metrotown. We sit down and around 15 minutes later the owner of Kimura walks in to have his dinner there too.
mrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #47
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

went there a few weeks ago, their soft opening special was a really good deal
cdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #48
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,841 Times in 386 Posts
I think like a few other people here I was somewhat hyped about this joint more than anything. I used to go to a simple place just like this, called Takarabune, on Victoria and 49th(beside Church's Chicken), but it seems like they have gone under new management after the longest time. So time to try another place.

Kimura I'd rate 8/10. I think I need to go back and try more to give a deeper insight.

between my girlfriend and I, we ordered an Eel and avocado roll, 1 order of chicken gizzards, she had beef teriyaki dinner and I had the chicken teriyaki dinner.

The roll was pretty good, the eel had a different sauce than what I was used to eating, a more savoury than sweet sauce that was basted on the eel and avocado roll. I enjoyed the roll and I'd order it again. Second the gizzards, I had a craving for these so this may be a bit one sided, but they were really juicy. It was friend but I didn't find it too oily or anything.

The beef and chicken teriyaki dinner were both different than what I was used to eating. But it was different in a good way. The sauce was once again a more savoury sauce than a sweet teriyaki sauce. It wasn't overpowering and didnt drench the meat. The dinner also came with miso soup and a salad. The soup was a bit on the bland side, had a great texture with the egg they put in there to go with the seaweed. I enjoyed the salad that came with the dinner too. Mostly it was the usual cabbage, cucumber and tomato salad, but this also had a cold potato mash with it and that was yummy.

Bill totalled $38.

I wish it had more than just us in the restaurant as I felt pretty weird there, sunday, 630... we're the only table, I guess it's still pretty new. Can't upload the picture of the chicken gizzards for some reason... meh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (164.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (99.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (94.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (91.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by k3lv; 11-14-2010 at 10:36 PM.
k3lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #49
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I like this place, but I find the portion to be on the smaller side. It's alright for a girl, but it's just a bit small for me.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:29 AM   #50
Banned (ABWS)

Is this the restaurant with the "jazz theme"? If so, I really disliked this place. The interior is really cheap and tacky and the food was mediocre, the portions were tiny and expensive for what you get. The service sucked too. When I was there, there were only 3 tables and one of them was already finished and they still forgot our tea! And while we were eating, they never came around to fill our tea either. Sushi Garden has better service! At least the are fast and keeps our tea topped up lol.

Another issue I thought was very poorly executed was the placement of their speakers. IRRC, they claim they're trying for a "jazz theme" but the speakers are mounted at the back, facing the front window but the tables are arranged perpendicular to those speakers so the music is all off. Jazz is my fav. genre so I really wanted to enjoy what they had to offer but the placement of the speakers made this simply impossible.

Last edited by RollingStone; 11-17-2010 at 05:44 AM.
RollingStone is offline   Reply With Quote