REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-31-2010, 09:12 PM   #26
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
last week i was in dt and i did not see 1 damn biker using the god damn new bike lanes
Advertisement
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #27
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
^ they dont wanna obey the "bike keep right, share the road" ..... and still riding in & out the traffic
it's god damn annoying
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #28
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noizz View Post
As if carpooling wasn't minimizing traffic, I carpool to work and they've already fucked me over last year with the "bus/cyclist only" lane on Hastings going to downtown. And for the 8 or so months that lane has been implemented, I've only seen a handful of cyclists using it to get to work. Whats the point of carpooling now? The HOV benefit is gone and you have to wait for your other party. Effff this shit

I still just hop on that lane, cause theres constantly left turners.

Here's more info from City of Vancouver:
http://vancouver.ca/engsvcs/transpor...ated/index.htm

They even started off by saying Vancouver is striving to be one of the greenest cities in the world. This is what happens when I don't vote ahah
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #29
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
These bike lanes are seriously starting to piss me off. Dunsmuir street is just a complete mess right now. There was already an existing bike lane on Dunsmuir, but now they expanded that bike lane, took away one vehicle lane and are putting up concrete dividers, such a waste of time and money, Dunsmuir was perfectly fine the way it was. Now when you get to Dunsmuir and Hornby, the 2 vehcile lanes, one turns into a right turn only lane coming up to Dunsmuir and Burrard and it is just absolute chaos with all the vehicles trying to merge over.

I think what pisses me off is that there was absolutely no consultation with local businesses and residents. I'm downtown everyday of the week and despite the claims by our hippie mayor and council, the # of cyclists downtown looks to be about the same as before all this bike lanes mess, hell most days the bike lanes only have a few cyclists, especially with Vancouver weather the way it is. I hate to say it, but all this bike lanes crap is making me more hostile to cyclist on the road and I know a number of people that feel the same way too.

Quote:
Gallery owner says bike lanes destroyed his business

By: ctvbc.ca

Date: Thursday May. 27, 2010 7:54 PM PT

A Vancouver businessman says that the city's push to make the streets more bike-friendly is responsible for the drop in business that's led him to shut his doors.

Art gallery owner Ron Appleton says he's closing his Hornby Street shop after 15 years in business.

When the city banned right turns on Hornby to protect cyclists in the designated bike lane, Appleton says drive-by customers were virtually shut out from Appleton Galleries.

"When this was imposed in July, without any warning, our business dropped 50 per cent," he told CTV News.

"(There was) no consultation, no discussion. I see the same thing happening with Dunsmuir Street and the merchants there."

Over on Dunsmuir, traffic is in disarray as construction workers prepare a new bike-only lane. One lane has been eliminated completely, and concrete barriers are going up to reserve space for bikes.

Further east on Ontario Street, a barrier was put in place in the middle of the road two weeks ago, restricting vehicle access in an attempt to make it safer for cyclists.

Motorists say they're confused by the sudden appearance of the barriers.

"I think it sucks. Now it's crazy -- the traffic is all over the place," Tom Loke said.

And local residents complain they were shut out of the planning process.

"We weren't consulted at all," neighbour Tara Lyon said.

The City of Vancouver claims there has been a dramatic increase in people heading downtown without their cars, and it wants to install more bike barriers as part of a pilot project to help cyclists feel safe.

"We have a very ambitious target in Vancouver to be the greenest city in the world," city engineer Jerry Dobrovolny explained.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #30
HELP ME PLS!!!

exactly my thought.. well said man !!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #31
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
i think its so fuckin stupid to put more bike lanes in and cut down a lane of traffic on an already busy and cramped city. does anyone ride their bikes in the rain? which it does most of the year in Vancouver. is this supposed to make it safer? it would be safe if the bikes didnt try to test their luck against cars by going out into traffic and hoping that drivers see them, your weight compared to cars weight think about it who will get hurt more? fuckin stupid ideas and make work projects to make it slower for the majority of ppl who do drive
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #32
HELP ME PLS!!!

Vancouver is faking a "best place on earth" image to attract tourists and hippies

GO GREEN, RIDE A BIKE AND DONT GIVE A SHIT ..woot ..woot
Old 06-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #33
RS.net PIMP

Oh and another problem with removing a vehicle lane for a bike lane on Dunsmuir, garbarge & delivery trucks use Dunsmuir daily to back into alleys off Dunsmuir to service the businesses and residents in that area, and when they do that, they essentially cut Dunsmuir down to 1 lane for a few minutes which just causes absolute chaos. If the city actually consulted with anyone, they would've known that.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #34
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuracura View Post
I agree with jaretron. Living and working in the same community minimizes the commute, making it almost ridiculous not to bike even on rainy days. Just a note about North America and driving, North Americans have always been used to driving, and cities were built according to that. Comparing us to Tokyo or all those European cities (Paris, Amesterdam, Frankfurt, Zurich, etc.) isn't quite fair because those cities have been around a lot longer than Vancouver, Toronto, etc. They were originally walking/bicycling, got some cars and a ton of motorbikes, built a complicated system of underground trains, and still maintain that original walking/bicycling mentality. Those cities are older so they’ve had that much more time to build it properly, unlike Vancouver which is constantly experimenting with more car lanes, bike lanes, rapid transit, etc. If you’ve been to those places in Europe you’ll notice the cities are very dense, like how Vancouver is getting to be. Paris, for example, is extremely dense around the River Seine and has ‘suburbs’ around central area. Most people actually live in the center of Paris and either work there or out in those suburb areas. For those working centrally, they either walk, bike, or metro it. Those working outside of the center still bike or take transit to where they need to go. The metro is incredibly efficient and is very busy, but not white-gloved-pushers busy, during peak hours. This allows them to invest huge amounts into the city’s public transit as they can concentrate it all in the middle where it’s needed. Adversely, the GVRD has pods of people and not enough money to fund infrastructure to serve them all. You build a skytrain to Poco and it’ll be another decade before you can build one to Langley. In the mean time all those people and their cars commute daily to the center (Downtown Vancouver) and it creates major congestion, parking, and pollution problems. You’ll also notice those European cities build a lot of pedestrian only streets/bridges, bicycles outnumber and take the right of way over cars, and scooters/motorcycles squeeze in wherever they fit and park wherever they want. Not saying their system is better, but it doesn’t seem to suffer from the problems we’re having here. The difference is those solutions were built from the ground up, starting with the attitudes and expectations of the people living there.
rw c55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #35
Banned (BBM)

one question

why the fuck is the bike LAME on Dunsmuir as wide as a vehicle lane? like seriously? why? becuz fat mofo bikers needs that much room to ride? i got back from home depot, and turning on to the bridge (forgot wats it called) at the intersection two lanes can make a left, but as soon as u finish the left there is like absolutely no room to merge. The right outer left lane has very little distance to merge into left, which is super dangerous. Thx to the fucking bikers, they barricade that shit.
fucking bikers and their lame
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
These bike lanes are seriously starting to piss me off. Dunsmuir street is just a complete mess right now. There was already an existing bike lane on Dunsmuir, but now they expanded that bike lane, took away one vehicle lane and are putting up concrete dividers, such a waste of time and money, Dunsmuir was perfectly fine the way it was. Now when you get to Dunsmuir and Hornby, the 2 vehcile lanes, one turns into a right turn only lane coming up to Dunsmuir and Burrard and it is just absolute chaos with all the vehicles trying to merge over.

I think what pisses me off is that there was absolutely no consultation with local businesses and residents. I'm downtown everyday of the week and despite the claims by our hippie mayor and council, the # of cyclists downtown looks to be about the same as before all this bike lanes mess, hell most days the bike lanes only have a few cyclists, especially with Vancouver weather the way it is. I hate to say it, but all this bike lanes crap is making me more hostile to cyclist on the road and I know a number of people that feel the same way too.

You only see few bicyclist because those cyclists are taking bike routes that are not on main roads! You would be suprised how many people ride bikes in the city if you were to get off your lazy ass and ride one. More people are riding bikes to get around now adays IN THE CITY because A) its fun B) its quick, so get used to it.

Biking in this city is great! I can get from my house on fraser to ubc in 25 minutes or to my work on burrard and pender in 15 minutes. Thats atleast 5 minutes faster than your car with traffic. I work in bental 5 and the bike room downstairs is filled with bikes regardless of the weather.

To the people that dont even live in vancouver and dont like the way things are going to fucking bad.

To the people who didnt vote in the last city election and are whining to fucking bad.

www.l2sc.net
FiveDime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #37
RS.net PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveDime View Post
You only see few bicyclist because those cyclists are taking bike routes that are not on main roads! You would be suprised how many people ride bikes in the city if you were to get off your lazy ass and ride one. More people are riding bikes to get around now adays IN THE CITY because A) its fun B) its quick, so get used to it.

Biking in this city is great! I can get from my house on fraser to ubc in 25 minutes or to my work on burrard and pender in 15 minutes. Thats atleast 5 minutes faster than your car with traffic. I work in bental 5 and the bike room downstairs is filled with bikes regardless of the weather.

To the people that dont even live in vancouver and dont like the way things are going to fucking bad.

To the people who didnt vote in the last city election and are whining to fucking bad.
First off its not a matter of me being lazy that I don't cycle. I'm in the gym 5 days a week minimum and also walk and at times blade around downtown Vancouver so I do see that there are cyclist. However I prefer driving because most the time I wear suits and usually travel to the studios in Burnaby and North Vancouver.

Secondly, my office is at Dunsmuir and Burrard, my office window looks directly straight down Dunsmuir Street from Burrard to the viaduct, so I see daily the amount of cyclist before and after bike lane expansion that used Dunsmuir. My point is that there was absolutely no need to expand the existing bike lane on Dunsmuir for the small scattering of cyclist that use that route. It has made traffic so much worse for everyone and has from what I witness on a daily basis, has made motorist more hostile and aggressive towards cyclists. Hell in the last hour, I've seen maybe 3 or 4 cyclist actually use Dunsmuir, I've seen a larger number of cyclist come down Hornby, Howe and Burrard.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #38
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
barka dur!!!!!!!

Old 06-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #39
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Oh and another problem with removing a vehicle lane for a bike lane on Dunsmuir, garbarge & delivery trucks use Dunsmuir daily to back into alleys off Dunsmuir to service the businesses and residents in that area, and when they do that, they essentially cut Dunsmuir down to 1 lane for a few minutes which just causes absolute chaos. If the city actually consulted with anyone, they would've known that.
That's a pretty good point, when 7-11 takes deliveries man its game over!
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #40
14 dolla balla & Bradford Chow aint got nothing on me!

Ya that merging on main made no sense, specially with some of the c Lai drivers I've seen . When It becomes one lane is the really stupid part , narrow as fuck. I drive a small car so no5 a problem for me, but the suvs that c Lai drive. They slow down to like 20 kmh. One day there'll be an accident , " suv loses control, hops barrier and mows down 10 cyclists"
Posted via RS Mobile
XtC-604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #41
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
First off its not a matter of me being lazy that I don't cycle. I'm in the gym 5 days a week minimum and also walk and at times blade around downtown Vancouver so I do see that there are cyclist. However I prefer driving because most the time I wear suits and usually travel to the studios in Burnaby and North Vancouver.

Secondly, my office is at Dunsmuir and Burrard, my office window looks directly straight down Dunsmuir Street from Burrard to the viaduct, so I see daily the amount of cyclist before and after bike lane expansion that used Dunsmuir. My point is that there was absolutely no need to expand the existing bike lane on Dunsmuir for the small scattering of cyclist that use that route. It has made traffic so much worse for everyone and has from what I witness on a daily basis, has made motorist more hostile and aggressive towards cyclists. Hell in the last hour, I've seen maybe 3 or 4 cyclist actually use Dunsmuir, I've seen a larger number of cyclist come down Hornby, Howe and Burrard.

Sorry, my post wasn't for you directly just some of your points

www.l2sc.net
FiveDime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #42
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

We conscoiusly voted for a hippie to run our city either by voting for him or not voting at all. We can always vote for someone else later. We'll just have to live with it for now.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #43
Better safe than Surrey

cause no one else did
OTG-ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #44
Banned (BBM)

Quote:

keep us updated when you see one get run over
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #45
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer111 View Post

So if you don't like it, show up to the COV meetings and voice your opinion!

Gregor Robertson's vision is to have the "greenest city in the world by 2020" if I remember correctly. So yes, all of us in Vancouver consciously voted in a hippie.

Yah -- most of the complainers are apathetic people than only care about civic issues when they interfere with their own little world

Main issue is urban overgrowth and too many fucking cars.

You live in a big city now -- deal with it
2000 Acura Integra Type R #858 -- original owner
2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Phat_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #46
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstoner View Post
^ they dont wanna obey the "bike keep right, share the road" ..... and still riding in & out the traffic
it's god damn annoying
obvs, bikers will always have the biker behavior
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #47
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
I have no problems with people who ride bikes, I deal with them, they can be annoying but whatever.

I have a problem with CYCLISTS. These arrogant, self-righteous ASSHOLES who want you to "share the road"...

Listen: YOU'RE ON A BIKE. GO AROUND ME. I'M STUCK BEHIND OTHER CARS, YOU CAN GO ANYWHERE.

I've ridden all over the place in this city...it's GREAT to get around in by bike! There are designated crossroutes, bike lanes, even crosswalk buttons for cyclists. What more do they want???

There will always be cars and bikes on the same road. This isn't fucking Amsterdam with dedicated bike lanes everywhere.

Don't fucking yell at me about sharing the road and bitch at me about your sacred "no left turns, except for bikes" signs, you arrogant, self-important, holier-than-thou hippie pieces of shit.
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #48
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Just ban cars from downtown core and be done with it.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #49
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I learned about this new bike lane last night. I sat for 25 minutes on dunsmir and 3 bikes went by the entire time. 2 of those bikes were on the sidewalk on the oposite side from the bike lane. I think if bikes have their own lanes they should get ticketed for riding all over the road and disobeying every other single road rule.
Posted via RS Mobile
chris walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #50
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris walter View Post
I learned about this new bike lane last night. I sat for 25 minutes on dunsmir and 3 bikes went by the entire time. 2 of those bikes were on the sidewalk on the oposite side from the bike lane. I think if bikes have their own lanes they should get ticketed for riding all over the road and disobeying every other single road rule.
Posted via RS Mobile
I think if bikes want to get the same rights as cars like getting their own lane, then they should obey the rules like drivers have to. Bikers are always running red lights, weaving through traffic, etc....
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: