REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #51
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeivb View Post
I think if bikes want to get the same rights as cars like getting their own lane, then they should obey the rules like drivers have to. Bikers are always running red lights, weaving through traffic, etc....
I saw a cyclist get pulled over by a cop yesterday for running a red light on Expo Blvd. yesterday.

So glad to see they are doing that finally
Advertisement
2000 Acura Integra Type R #858 -- original owner
2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Phat_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #52
Banned (BBM)

^

that just made my day

Quote:
I think if bikes want to get the same rights as cars like getting their own lane, then they should obey the rules like drivers have to. Bikers are always running red lights, weaving through traffic, etc....

better yet, why the fuck arent they paying insurance. they wonna share the road like a car, well..pay the fucking insurance in case they get hit or killed. Motorcycles pays insurance, why should they be any different if they wonna take advantage of their LAME
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #53
RS controls my life!

The interesting thing about the georgia/dunsmuir viaduct bike lane is the fact that there is already quite a generous sidewalk that is rarely if ever used. If Logic would have prevailed they would have SAVED the money and used that for bikes... but logical thinking isn't something the amateur politicians like to use at city hall.

The Extension of the bike lane down dunsmuir is just something that obviously they made a decision on while taking bong hits... Taking a lane away from one of the most congested streets in the downtown core... and killing turning to all motor vehicle traffic is just about the worst decision ever. I hope Mayor McJuice is enjoying his term because it will without a doubt be his first and last. The backing of the critical massholes is not enough to keep a government in power.

Instead of spending the money on that they could have spent the money on putting advanced green's at all the corners where the flow of traffic is hindered by the sheer number of people who cross the street... Hornby and Robson, Dunsmuir and Seymore to name a few...

2010 Touareg V6 TDI - Loving the green power
2011 Audi S4 - order picked for production... will be a late xmas present!!

hardSLAM
yvrnycracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #54
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
That's the other thing;

Dear Cyclists: Are you a vehicle, or are you a pedestrian?

You seem to want to "share the road" with other "vehicles", and yet time and time again you blow right thru lights and stop signs. Sure, much of the time you might stop at busy lights, but DON'T fuckin tell me you stop at stop signs.

And how about riding across crosswalks? Hmm...seems to me they're called crossWALKS for a reason...get off your fucking bike and WALK it across, or wait for the light.

Go down and sit on 10th Ave. in Vancouver during peak hours at a 4 way intersection and tell me how many cyclists stop at the stop signs. Please, I'd like to know.
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2010, 06:02 AM   #55
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post

keep us updated when you see one get run over
Driving into DT this morning at 6am, they had Dunsmuir from the viaduct to Hornby down to one lane for line painting, which backed up traffic. I saw multiple people in vehicles swearing at passing cyclist and one vehicle throw a coffee at a cyclist.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #56
Banned (BBM)

i take that route too when i drive to work, its really crowded now since its down to two lanes. Sigh...

dont know why they treasure the cyclists right so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanAir View Post
That's the other thing;

You seem to want to "share the road" with other "vehicles", and yet time and time again you blow right thru lights and stop signs. Sure, much of the time you might stop at busy lights, but DON'T fuckin tell me you stop at stop signs.

And how about riding across crosswalks? Hmm...seems to me they're called crossWALKS for a reason...get off your fucking bike and WALK it across, or wait for the light.

Go down and sit on 10th Ave. in Vancouver during peak hours at a 4 way intersection and tell me how many cyclists stop at the stop signs. Please, I'd like to know.

NONE!!!
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-03-2010, 07:23 AM   #57
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
LOL, the bike lane on dunsmuir should be re-name to Hockey route.

There will be more hockey fans to use this route after the game starting next season than thoese god damn cyclists.

Thats about the only pros i saw in this construction.
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:45 AM   #58
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrnycracer View Post
The interesting thing about the georgia/dunsmuir viaduct bike lane is the fact that there is already quite a generous sidewalk that is rarely if ever used. If Logic would have prevailed they would have SAVED the money and used that for bikes... but logical thinking isn't something the amateur politicians like to use at city hall.
It's kinda funny, I've been driving the viaduct everyday this week at around 8am with no problem at all, I can't speak on other times but consistently at 8ish there is no problem. Today I looked at the side walk and its maybe wide enough for one bike, to call it generous is huge overstatement. Its for pedestrians and I see someone on the sidewalk everyday. Besides, the debate of the viaduct bike lane is negated by the fact that the lane was taken away a couple years ago, so other than the merge fiasco off of Main (which people will adapt to) nothing has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanAir View Post

I agree that bicyclist should dismount if they want to use a crosswalk, I never stop for bikers if they are waiting at a crosswalk on their bike.

Now the stop sign thing I only partly agree with you, especially on 10th. If a bicyclist is preventing traffic from the correct order of flow then obviously they should be stopping, and if not? issued a ticket for sure. A thing to remember is on a bike you are higher up and can see over most parked cars, you can also hear cars approaching more easily than when you drive a car. Now when I ride on 10th I would appear to blow through the 4way stops but as I approach I can see if any traffic is coming way before I could in a car. Also on a bike I am vulnerable, its my life so you best be sure that I'm super careful at every intersection. The reason myself and others are not really stopping is due to momentum, surely I don't have to explain this. Commute on a bike and you will understand.

It only takes a couple retarded drivers to convince someone that every bad driver is out on the road at a certain given time, well some of these same retards ride bikes. I yell at fellow bikers all the time, they don't realize that by yelling at drivers (that might be in there way when they shouldn't, or pulled too far out into the street to see if they can go) that they are just perpetuating a culture of cars vs bikes.
jaretron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #59
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat_R View Post
I saw a cyclist get pulled over by a cop yesterday for running a red light on Expo Blvd. yesterday.

So glad to see they are doing that finally
Finally? They've been doing it for years on bike routes. The cops camp out where bicyclist often blow through stop signs at dangerous intersections, and rightfully so.
jaretron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #60
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat_R View Post
Yah -- most of the complainers are apathetic people than only care about civic issues when they interfere with their own little world

Main issue is urban overgrowth and too many fucking cars.

You live in a big city now -- deal with it
Probably the most insightful post in the whole thread.

The reality is that it's a bad implementation of a decent idea.

The city should encourage cycling to the downtown core, as well as expand transit options. Some of you complain that you have no showers in your building? Well, if there was a demand, I'm sure more property managers would build them. And how do you create a demand? By making it more feasible for people to cycle downtown.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2010, 08:22 AM   #61
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
this is what i have been saying the entire time..... they need to obey the same traffic laws as cars if they want a peice of the road...

i fucking hate it when on a red light a cyclist would weave through traffic to the very front of the right lane far out enough to block the person trying to turn right.

driving a car too slow can be a hazzard... so riding a bicycle slowing down traffic to a crawl on the right lane isnt?

if the fucking city wants to eliminate cars from downtown they need to propose a better alternative to driving... i'm not riding a bicycle wearing my suit.
how about instead of spending millions of dollars putting in that bikelane they build a nice mega parking lot outside of downtown near a skytrain station for people to park their cars at a decent price/good security). Instead of that mega parking lot being near a skytrain station they can have dedicated busses run from that parking lot to parts of the downtown core

Last edited by Anjew; 06-04-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #62
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

How about everyone who is complaining about cyclists hops on a bike and commutes to work for a week or so. You'll see how bad drivers are, and how dangerous it can be to be in traffic on a bike. You might shed a few pounds while you're at it
1990 Mercedes 300TE. Future daily
2000 Subaru Impreza. Broken, lady's daily
Delerious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #63
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adog View Post
this is what i have been saying the entire time..... they need to obey the same traffic laws as cars if they want a peice of the road...

i fucking hate it when on a red light a cyclist would weave through traffic to the very front of the right lane far out enough to block the person trying to turn right.

driving a car too slow can be a hazzard... so riding a bicycle slowing down traffic to a crawl on the right lane isnt?

if the fucking city wants to eliminate cars from downtown they need to propose a better alternative to driving... i'm not riding a bicycle wearing my suit.
how about instead of spending millions of dollars putting in that bikelane they build a nice mega parking lot outside of downtown near a skytrain station for people to park their cars at a decent price/good security). Instead of that mega parking lot being near a skytrain station they can have dedicated busses run from that parking lot to parts of the downtown core

werd

my contractor was FUCKING pissed off yesterday, cuz he couldnt enter the building by going around and around the fucking block for 40 minutes near Bentall 5. I saw the fucking dumbass bike LAME further down dunsmuir and i was like wtf is this shit. You cant turn left, now u cant take right thx to bike lame. Jesus fucking christ.....
Old 06-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #64
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

What pisses me off is after all the effort spent making bike lanes all around vancouver you still have hippies going down broadway and cornwall at 5mph blocking traffic during rush hour. Its times like that I wish I drove a RHD car.
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #65
HELP ME PLS!!!

if cyclist wanna ride in dt, they belongs in stanley park only
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #66
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
What pisses me off is after all the effort spent making bike lanes all around vancouver you still have hippies going down broadway and cornwall at 5mph blocking traffic during rush hour. Its times like that I wish I drove a RHD car.

You haven't seen bad until you've been on a BUS following a cyclist. When I was still at SFU, I would take the 135 bus from Renfrew/Hastings. Try having a bus drive behind cyclist from Renfrew to Boundary. The line of cars behind us was amazing, especially considering they were doing construction near Cassiar.
Vinny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #67
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adog View Post

Agree with your points, which is why bikes need their own paths, hence the Dunsmir bike lane.

Quote:
There are two Park and Rides - one at Scott Road and the other at the River Rock in Richmond. Finding a large quantity of land near Skytrain stations isn't exactly cheap these days either.

Park-and-Rides aren't exactly sustainable solutions either.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #68
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
I can't believe they disallowed turning from one-way Dunsmuir to one-way Seymour and Hornby Streets. That's ridiculous.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #69
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
I can't believe they disallowed turning from one-way Dunsmuir to one-way Seymour and Hornby Streets. That's ridiculous.
yup, thats really a stupid idea to restrict right turn on 1 way street
Old 06-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #70
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Not only that, they now have signs on Cambie and I believe other streets saying no right turns onto Dunsmuir too, makes no sense. Another example I came across this weekend of why they shouldn't have expanded the existing Dunsmuir bike lane, the taxi stops and valet sections in front of the St.Regis and Shore Club are still in effect, so when someone is stopped in the left lane there, it reduces Dunsmuir down to 1 lane, which is ridiculous for a busy vehicle route into downtown.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote