REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   The perfect shoes for sports? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/617303-perfect-shoes-sports.html)

hear-it-first 06-12-2010 11:37 AM

The perfect shoes for sports?

Hey all sports peoples,

Ive been wondering for sometime if there is the best, all rounded shoes for sports and fitness. To be specific, I prefer shoes that I can use for playing basketball, tennis, running/jogging, and maybe for other outdoor activities. But I dont want to get a pair of ball shoes, tennis shoes, or running shoes. So it would be cool if there are some nice kicks that can be used comfortably and practical enough for what I do.

StealthFighter 06-12-2010 01:28 PM

cross trainers are probably the best all around. just try a bunch of them on and see which fits the best and most comfortable. everyone's foot is different.

if you're doing any decent amount of running i think you should get a separate pair of running shoes.

hal0g0dv2 06-12-2010 02:17 PM

any thought on nike frees ? they kinda have a mold to your feet, i remember i use to play ball sometimes with the brothas haha and i would slap the frees on and they would be not bad actually and there good for the gym also

hotong 06-12-2010 03:57 PM

nike shox y0

Wenis 06-12-2010 10:54 PM

If your looking for a shoe for running, I would highly recommend not getting a all-round shoe as investing in a decent quality running shoe will help reduce overall shock to your knees. legs.. etc.

For indoor sports i prefer basketball shoes, and outdoor sports would use a cross-trainer. Just my preference. I would think about which you are probably going to do most, then try to decide from there.

RayBot 06-13-2010 12:42 AM

Cross trainers are the most versatile shoes for sports.

However, if you are leaning towards a certain activitie....you may want to go with a more specific type shoe. Basketball shoes for stability....or if its long distance running, a type of running that will be stable for that as well as comfortable....etc. Pretty much it looks after the safety aspect of your foot.

hear-it-first 06-13-2010 09:44 AM

I run at most twice a week, 30 minutes each time. I play basketball once a week, and tennis occasionally, but starting to pick up.

RayBot 06-13-2010 11:27 AM

Someone suggested the Nike Shox....which i have to second for all around.

Got comfort for good short runs, some stability for some basketball and light enough for tennis. Good thing is....they are pretty cheap nowadays. As for most cross trainers as well, they're pretty much the most inexpensive type of athletic shoes out there.

As for the Nike Frees...you're either gonna love em, or hate em. As for me...i hate them. I can't stand them because they provide hardly any comfort so they can emulate a barefoot feel with but protection to your foot. The good thing is...the Frees are very sports functional. If you train in those things...you're gain a lot of strength and stability in your feet.

mickz 06-13-2010 11:47 AM

There is no one shoe that will be good across all sports.

At most you'll be able to find a shoe that can do a little bit of everything but do nothing well.

Jegz 06-13-2010 05:39 PM

crocs

SizzleChest 06-13-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickz (Post 6989914)
There is no one shoe that will be good across all sports.

At most you'll be able to find a shoe that can do a little bit of everything but do nothing well.

+1

if you're on a budget, odds are a cross-trainer or runner would be the most versatile for what you are doing. obviously a basketball shoe is best for playing basketball, but i would NOT want to wearing MJs to go running.

Hondaracer 06-15-2010 05:29 PM

shox are horrible for anything other than like Volleyball..

even their basketball shoes are designed basically all for latteral motion, shit destroys your ankles and shins doing any sort of running

KO7 06-16-2010 10:44 AM

i cringe whenever i see volleyball players wearing nike frees, the lack of cushioning has got to be punishing for the joints jumping on hardwood.

AWDTurboLuvr 06-16-2010 12:09 PM

The Nike Frees aren't too bad on hardwood, since I usually run line drills in the gym and other plyometrics. However, I wouldn't run in them on pavement/cement...my knees killed afterwards.

hear-it-first 06-16-2010 07:08 PM

Oh, really? I am running with nike shox (the real leather version). They seem fine, I do only run 2 times a week only. They are breaking apart now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 6993088)
shox are horrible for anything other than like Volleyball..

even their basketball shoes are designed basically all for latteral motion, shit destroys your ankles and shins doing any sort of running

suzuka84 06-16-2010 07:36 PM

vibram five fingers.

nike frees mimic the body's natural mechanics so imagine doing everything barefeet without cushioning. It takes a few weeks to adjust - look at the track athletes, the coaches have been preaching running barefeet for ages and it's suppose to work.

incubus 06-16-2010 08:13 PM

yeah +1 cross trainers, i love my new balance shoes, also wanna try nike frees

Hondaracer 06-16-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hear-it-first (Post 6994651)
Oh, really? I am running with nike shox (the real leather version). They seem fine, I do only run 2 times a week only. They are breaking apart now.

ran with shocks for like 1.5 years, basically fucked my knee's and ankles for a long time afterwards, go into a nike store and ask them about shox for running, anyone who knows anything will tell you they are all for latteral motion only

if your gonna spend $150+ for shox in the gym, go to the running room and get a pair of shoes fitted for your style/feet

about 2.5 years ago i went and got fitted for a pair of new balance cross trainers, best money I ever spent on shoes, and my shoe rack has like 15 pairs on it lol

SizzleChest 06-17-2010 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzuka84 (Post 6994686)
vibram five fingers.

nike frees mimic the body's natural mechanics so imagine doing everything barefeet without cushioning. It takes a few weeks to adjust - look at the track athletes, the coaches have been preaching running barefeet for ages and it's suppose to work.

i asked a sports rehab doctor about barefoot running and in his opinion, it's a short term fad, but it really is gaining in popularity. enough so that i'm thinking about trying it for myself. the five fingers seems like a waste of money though - $80 to $100 for 1/8" piece of rubber underneath your feet plus they look ridiculous (granted, running barefoot looks kinda wierd too).

mickz 06-17-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 6994758)
ran with shocks for like 1.5 years, basically fucked my knee's and ankles for a long time afterwards, go into a nike store and ask them about shox for running, anyone who knows anything will tell you they are all for latteral motion only

if your gonna spend $150+ for shox in the gym, go to the running room and get a pair of shoes fitted for your style/feet

about 2.5 years ago i went and got fitted for a pair of new balance cross trainers, best money I ever spent on shoes, and my shoe rack has like 15 pairs on it lol

The Running Shox are designed for forward and back motion only. The height of the Shox columns and ankle cut of the shoe doesn't make it ideal for lateral motion because it makes it very easy to roll your ankles. The Cross-Training Shox have columns with a lower profile and those ones are made for lateral motion.

That being said I would not wear Shox for anything. There are much better shoes out there for the same or lower price points.

I've always been a big fan of Asics runners for the great fit but I've heard good things about Mizuno and NB as well. A quick way I always check the quality of the runner is to squeeze both sides of the heel area just above the midsole. Cheap ones like most Nike, Adidas and Reebok will cave in. Try it with a real pair of runners next time and you'll see they're reinforced in areas like that.

RRxtar 06-17-2010 09:45 AM

so no answer yet? im in the market too

G-spec 06-17-2010 09:53 AM

mickz is 100% correct, if you want all around, don't go for the Shox. They are basically made for you to run forward on a very flat surface, and forget about any major lateral movement in these shoes because any type of unevenness in the ground you risk rolling your foot and spraining an ankle because of the stiff plastic shox soles in the rear. In theory that large flat surface should plant you to the ground more, but it doesn't work like that at all.

They are the absolute worst shoes you can wear for basketball, that flat surface of the shox in the back of the shoe is a hazard and you when you try to move laterally you will feel the shox working against you. I wear shox around the house sometimes, and I roll my ankles just walking around especially when I'm in the park on uneven grass and ground.

try these, they are a low cut version of the Nike Hyperdunk series and these shoes are some of the lightest ball shoes ever made, now the lowcut version offers all around performance. I have a few Hyperdunks I use for basketball also a few Hyperize... best sport shoes I ever owned

http://www.eukicks.com/wp-content/up...rdunk-Low-.jpg
http://images.sneakernews.com/wp-con...ing-2010-6.jpg

Kobe approves, good enough for me

http://www.highsnobiety.com/uploads/...aunch-kobe.jpg

InvisibleSoul 06-17-2010 09:55 AM

No such thing as the perfect shoe.

Manic! 06-17-2010 10:01 AM

Why not buy a couple of lower priced shoes. There is no need to spend $100 plus on a pair of shoes. NBA player Stephon Marbury has a line of shoes that coast $25 and he used those in the NBA.

Hondaracer 06-17-2010 07:19 PM

imo the majority of the cost of higher priced runners is with the insoles