REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #651
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Never knew Brent Sopel was gay.. Then again, I have no idea who in the NHL is gay, besides Jarkko Ruutu Not that it matters...

He brought the cup to the gay pride parade in Chicago.. is that a first?

EDIT nevermind, he's not gay, he was with his wife. So why the fuck was he in the gay pride parade?

EDIT 2: Oh, it was in honour of Brian Burke's gay dead son. What?
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #652
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
It was because Chicago has some gay hockey league or somthing and they publically invited thr hawks to attend the parade so it would have looked bad if someone didn't I guess lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #653
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,817 Times in 8,191 Posts
Thing is, Sopel wasn't even a Blackhawk anymore
Old 06-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #654
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstoner View Post
Canucks Recruitment

Come and be part of a dedicated and passionate team that contributes to the delivery of memorable experiences to thousands of fans and guests. As we gear up for a new season of hockey and events, we are seeking enthusiastic team players for the following positions:

Event Security (working during an event, must hold valid Security Guard license)
Guest Services Supervisor, Housekeeping (working during an event)
Daytime Sales Associates (weekday and weekend day shifts)
Retail Sales Associates (evening and weekend shifts)
Post Event Housekeepers (graveyard shifts)
Event Housekeepers (working during an event)
Dispatch Operators (working during an event)
Conversions (graveyard shifts)
Concierge (working during an event)

LOOKING FOR A FANTASTIC AND EXCITING PLACE TO WORK?

For full job descriptions and application instructions, please visit www.canucks.com. Application deadline is June 30, 2010

ya, was thinking of applying, but pay is kinda on the low side

@sportsnetmurph: Canuck have given Shane OBrien a qualifying offer of 1.6 million for one year.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=325975

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Last edited by Gh0stRider; 06-28-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #655
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,583 Times in 4,299 Posts
Nice about sob, we need to get him signed!!!!
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #656
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Never knew Brent Sopel was gay.. Then again, I have no idea who in the NHL is gay, besides Jarkko Ruutu Not that it matters...

He brought the cup to the gay pride parade in Chicago.. is that a first?

EDIT nevermind, he's not gay, he was with his wife. So why the fuck was he in the gay pride parade?

EDIT 2: Oh, it was in honour of Brian Burke's gay dead son. What?
Yes it was a nice guesture by Sopel given their history together in Vancouver. I believe the Chicago Cubs or Whitesox also attended the pride parade.

As for the NHL being exposed to the gay community, as a straight man I think getting them interested in the sport, especially where it struggles for fans in the US, is a great move. This group often has high levels of disposible income so they are more likely to afford to go to games, purchase merchandise, etc. They also have shown they can exercise their buying power in solidarity, supporting companies and products friendly to their people while promoting mass boycotts of those who aren't.

Another factor to consider is the incredible influx of the gay lifestyle into mainstream media. Despite being a minority group in the world its to the point where I see another new tv show or movie and say "oh what a surprise, another family with a gay son" What I am suggesting is that if they nhl can somehow latch onto their mainstream success the NHL could go hand in hand with it - maybe seeing gay characters wearing nhl jerseys or going to nhl games more or even shows depicting gay hockey players.

Now the negative is that some potential fans of the sport might say "Hockey is gay" but considering most ignorant sports fans in the US believe hockey to be too violent and full of fighting as well as bettman's efforts to turn it into soccer, I don't believe that it would have too much of an image issue in that reguard. There a number of gay men who are fans of the UFC, and there is much more opportunity to enjoy that sport in that way with the half naked men, the rolling around, etc and yet the UFC still has a reputation as being too violent to allow matches to be held in some states and provinces.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #657
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
^ dude. I think you're reading wayyyyy too much into that.

I doubt it was anything related to a marketing ploy than it is just an indication of progressing times of acceptance and tolerance.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #658
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstoner View Post
lets wait and see....

always next year Canucks' fan fav quote

anyways, Ballad gonna be on team1040 this morning at 8:11 for interview
http://www.team1040.ca/shared/podcas...y=bmac_rintoul

Go here and click Hour3 if you missed the interview and want to hear what he said

fast foward to 7:50
Old 06-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #659
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Sopel is in the gay pride parade because he had a poster in his locker or something that said "Chris Pronger is gay!" during the series, which set off the gay rights brigade. It's damage control.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
^ dude. I think you're reading wayyyyy too much into that.

I doubt it was anything related to a marketing ploy than it is just an indication of progressing times of acceptance and tolerance.
I wasn't suggesting that this one act would transform the gay community into hockey fans or that this was any sort of marketing ploy. What I am suggesting is that it would be a good move image wise and business wise to make similar efforts and calculated moves to welcome that community to the sport. I was also trying to explain to SkinnyPup why Sopel and why the NHL would not object to attending a pride parade and that having a connection to that community can be beneficial.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #661
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
@TSNBobMcKenzie Coyotes officially announce Wolski deal. As reported last week, two years, $3.8M per year.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Old 06-28-2010, 01:05 PM   #662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Sopel is in the gay pride parade because he had a poster in his locker or something that said "Chris Pronger is gay!" during the series, which set off the gay rights brigade. It's damage control.
ha really? the media I had read on the subject painted that much rosier picture about Sople and Burke. I still applaud the effort, its a huge step for a major sport to make an appearance in something like this and would like to see more of it for the reasons I've explained and not just as a measure of damage control. But if true, it does show the power of the gay community and supports my arguments.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #663
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
anyone got background information on the concierge valet positions?
Old 06-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #664
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider

@sportsnetmurph: Canuck have given Shane OBrien a qualifying offer of 1.6 million for one year.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=325975
The Vancouver Canucks won't be letting Shane O'Brien hit the free market.

The club made the veteran defenceman a $1.6 million qualifying offer on Monday, keeping him as a restricted free agent for July 1.

Mason Raymond, Tanner Glass and Jannik Hansen are also expected to get qualifying offers by the end of the day.

O'Brien, 26, tallied eight points and 79 penalty minutes with a plus-15 in Vancouver last season

Sweet raymond is getting signed hopefully
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #665
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,045 Times in 2,078 Posts
^ Raymond has to get signed after we moved Grabner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #666
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
oh shit the leafs could be deadly if they aquire savard and sign kovalchuk

savard kovy - atl 05/06?
savard kessel - bos 08/09
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #667
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Isn't today the last day to qualify RFAs? Why do they do it last minute.. I don't want some dale tallon shit to happen
Old 06-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #668
Banned (ABWS)

For those who thought Dale Tallon got ripped off building the hawks, he will get his name on the stanley cup and a ring

Did ladd accept chicagos offer?
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #669
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn79 View Post
For those who thought Dale Tallon got ripped off building the hawks, he will get his name on the stanley cup and a ring

Did ladd accept chicagos offer?
Haven't heard anything about it but I'm pretty sure he's not going to accept the 1.65m qualifying offer though. I would think he's probably looking for something in the 3-4 year range worth about 2-2.5 per year.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #670
Banned (ABWS)

andrew ladd LW and colby armstrong RW would be perfect fit for our empty 3rd line right now

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/players/Andrew_Ladd

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p...olby_Armstrong
Old 06-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #671
Banned (ABWS)

Does this mean leafs trade their 1st 2010 + 2011 + 2nd 2010 for kessel and savard?

Quote:

Here are some thoughts on the upcoming free agent deadline.

Beware of National Hockey League GMs bearing gifts.

Boston’s Peter Chiarelli wants to do Marc Savard a favour and deal him to Toronto, and he wants to do the Leafs a favour by giving them an 80- or 90-point centreman for a bunch of nothing -- just to get Savard off of Boston’s books.

So, in the end, the Leafs get a first-line centreman with a $4-million cap hit for nearly free? Why does that sound too good to be true?

Coming off a concussion as serious as the one Matt Cooke inflicted on Savard, both teams will obviously have access to all of Savard’s neurological data. We don’t care what Boston’s cap situation is, when a Stanley Cup contender looks to move a $4-million point producer, who is coming off a devastating concussion, we grow suspicious.

Just saying...
Old 06-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #672
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Guessing that SOB and Bieksa are in play. We can't afford to keep them with Ballard here, especially with an empty 3rd line.

Sign Ryan Johnson for $1.3m please.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #673

Quote:
oh shit the leafs could be deadly if they aquire savard and sign kovalchuk

savard kovy - atl 05/06?
savard kessel - bos 08/09
they have the cap room to get kovy without moving kaberle. At first I was against the idea of savard as a leaf because of his age, recent injuries, and long contract but it seems his contract is front loaded so his cap hit won't be so bad in the later years and the asking price for him is way down and wouldn't require kaberle. boston needs to reduce their cap so they might not get much in return for savard especially since savard has only named 2 teams he would want to go to - the sens and the leafs. after july 1st it grows to 5 teams - the leafs, sens, flyers, hawks, and sabres. The sens can't get him unless they move spezza, the flyers and hawks can't take on his salary with the cap, and the bruins would be less inclined to help out a stronger division rival in the sabres. This means the leafs have best chance to get him. Like the sabres, the bruins wouldn't want to help the leafs considering they hold their 1st round pick in next years draft but they are likely content they got the 2nd overall pick this year and are willing to let this other 1st round selection slide a bit.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #674
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaupunkt69 View Post
they have the cap room to get kovy without moving kaberle. At first I was against the idea of savard as a leaf because of his age, recent injuries, and long contract but it seems his contract is front loaded so his cap hit won't be so bad in the later years and the asking price for him is way down and wouldn't require kaberle. boston needs to reduce their cap so they might not get much in return for savard especially since savard has only named 2 teams he would want to go to - the sens and the leafs. after july 1st it grows to 5 teams - the leafs, sens, flyers, hawks, and sabres. The sens can't get him unless they move spezza, the flyers and hawks can't take on his salary with the cap, and the bruins would be less inclined to help out a stronger division rival in the sabres. This means the leafs have best chance to get him. Like the sabres, the bruins wouldn't want to help the leafs considering they hold their 1st round pick in next years draft but they are likely content they got the 2nd overall pick this year and are willing to let this other 1st round selection slide a bit.
Cap hit remains the same.

It just means the team pays the player more during his early years as opposed to the later years.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #675

Quote:
Does this mean leafs trade their 1st 2010 + 2011 + 2nd 2010 for kessel and savard?
savard seemed to have recovered nicely with his performance in the playoffs but who knows over an 82 game season. If the deal was simply for next to nothing BB and Chiarelli would have pulled the trigger by now