REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #751
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,583 Times in 4,299 Posts
If we had a d like that we would have the strongest d in the west and damm it would be fun to watch.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #752
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Willie obviously loves Vancouver and if he truely is over the concussion I wouldn't see why he wouldn't sign a cheap one year deal to show he has the ability to grab another multi year contract after that
[/url][/i][/size]
The reason is fairly obvious I think. Someone is going to offer him 3+ and probably at least 2 years if not more. If he signed with Vancouver for bottom feeder money and say he got another head hit his career could be over and all he'll get is that 1.5. If he goes somewhere else and signs a 6-10 million dollar deal over 2-3 years he's got security should his career be over.

Willie is still a top 4 but on the decline, in a very similar situation to what Ohlund was when his contract came due. Look what he signed for. I'd love to have Willie for peanuts but I really can't see it happening unless he got hit in the head harder then we thought and has no sense. As much as we'd love to think Willie would put the team ahead of him and his family the bottom line is he's playing to make as much money as possible as anyone would.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 06-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #753
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Everyone LOVES Mitchell but you guys have to think as to why some teams will or MIGHT not sign him to a 3 or 3.5m per... that's because how would these teams know how he will play...sure he can be healthy but who knows if he will play with the same intensity or if he will hit someone hard still..... The injury he's got will always be on his mind.

Concussion is a tricky injury.. not saying he's not worht 3-3.5 but I'd rather use it on another D.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #754
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Volchenkov is just as injury prone.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #755
degenerate extraordinaire

NHLSourcesSay Add Willie Mitchell to the Canucks hitting the open market tomorrow.

credibility? I don't know.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #756
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
I guess Willie is gonna be hitting free agency like Jovo and Ohlund. Gillis isn't a risk taker so I can see why he isn't gonna resign him. As much as I love Willie, his concussion history is going to be a big factor, hes not young either

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Old 06-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #757
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Leighton resigns with Philly as per TSN. Wonder where nabakov and turco fit now...
Old 06-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #758
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
Leighton resigns with Philly as per TSN. Wonder where nabakov and turco fit now...
IMO bad move by the flyers...Boucher/Leighton combo?

Does Tampa Bay have any CAP room left? Nabokov in net would look really good for them... that's what they've needed the past few seasons....goaltending!

Stamkos will rip it up more next year!!
Old 06-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #759
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
Rod Brind'amour is retiring
Old 06-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #760
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
The Star not re-signing Modano is like a slap in the face. I can't believe it.

That's pretty shitty of the Stars orginization to do to Modano. He's been the staple in that franchise for years

Total classless move by the Stars organization.This guy has done nothing but play his heart out every game for 22 years in the organization,and they don't give him a contract to finish his career in Dallas?What a joke.He's been the face of the franchise forever.He's done incredible things for that organization and the city of Dallas.What a fucking joke.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Last edited by Gh0stRider; 06-30-2010 at 03:19 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #761
Banned (ABWS)

Whos responsible for not offering modano a contract? The team is in rebuilding mode too
Old 06-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #762
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post

That's pretty shitty of the Stars orginization to do to Modano. He's been the staple in that franchise for years

Total classless move by the Stars organization.This guy has done nothing but play his heart out every game for 22 years in the organization,and they don't give him a contract to finish his career in Dallas?What a joke.He's been the face of the franchise forever.He's done incredible things for that organization and the city of Dallas.What a fucking joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXh4kwAvS88
Wasn't Linden also not offered a contract? Alls I remember was that he had his differences with AV I believe for only being given a minor role into the team in his last year.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #763
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post

It's not that they don't want him to end his career in Dallas... it's that the team would probably want him to just retire NOW. But if he doesn't want to, suddenly they're the bad guy for not re-signing him, even though he's over the hill and doesn't fit into the team landscape anymore? Just to be classy, they should sign him for a couple million dollars or whatever it is just to keep him as part of the team?

What if it's five years from now and Modano still wants to play? The Stars should keep signing him as long as he wants to play?
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #764
MOD

not 5 yrs, im talking one last year (hopefully). Maybe not at 2.2M

Quote:

Old 06-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #765
Banned (ABWS)

Hopefully Detriot Phoenix or Minnisota will sign him
Old 06-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #766
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn79 View Post
Whos responsible for not offering modano a contract? The team is in rebuilding mode too
Isn't it Joe Nieuwendyk. I see this as a good business decision, but definately a slap in the face.

Modano gone, Turco gone....build mode.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #767
MOD

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=326155

Ya, its Joe Nieuwendyk

Quote:
Modano says he understands why his friend and former teammate, Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk, decided to move on without the NHL's highest-scoring U.S.-born player. But he's not hiding his motivation to prove his old buddy made a mistake.

"I think that it does give me a little fire inside to go out play somewhere and really have a great going-out year," Modano said. "That's obviously now my thought process if I do go forward and play is to get in great shape and get ready for camp and see what type of year I could put together."

Quote:

Old 06-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #768
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,583 Times in 4,299 Posts
The Anaheim ducks acquire F Jason Jaffray from Calgary in exchange for F Logan MacMillan
Old 06-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #769

^^ Madono is revered in the Dallas area....they are going to booo Nieuwendyk if he gets on the big screen. Then again, they have smart hockey sense down there so maybe they will understand.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #770
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

We don't need Mitchell. It just seems like we do because he left a gaping hole on our D last year and Alberts is a terrible replacement. Ballard and Salo should be a fine shutdown pairing.

Mitchell is completely one-dimensional and can't move the puck. He was one of the biggest factors of our loss to Chicago in '09 with his bad puck moving and untimely penalties. On top of that, he's getting old and his health is a big issue. I also don't think he's well liked by his teammates as he's started fights in practice the past two years.

Mitchell filled a role here but it's just time to move on. We could sign him for cheap and on short term, but I think Gillis, as he should, is looking to push this team over the top and Mitchell's money/ice-time could be better used elsewhere.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #771

With Salo, Ehrhoff and Bieksa's contracts ending next year, I'm thinking Gillis will go hard for one of Martin, Hamhuis or Volchenkov. GET IT DONE ...can't wait for tomorrow!

Anyone else want Paul Kariya at the right price?? Local boy..
Old 06-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #772
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Also, everyone shits on Bieksa but he stepped his game up with Mitchell out and was one of our best players in the playoffs. It's not easy to replace his production on the back end at his salary. He makes mistakes just like anyone else, but people seem to put him under a microscope.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #773
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by taker View Post
Also, everyone shits on Bieksa but he stepped his game up with Mitchell out and was one of our best players in the playoffs. It's not easy to replace his production on the back end at his salary. He makes mistakes just like anyone else, but people seem to put him under a microscope.
Are you shittin me? Were we watching the same playoffs? Bieksa scored that once nice goal, other than that, he was horrible. I could careless if he gets 40 points during the season, it's his defensive play that everyone shits about.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:22 PM   #774
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,454 Times in 5,114 Posts
^
His best playoffs? Did he not put the puck in our own net 3 times during our 2 rounds?
Old 06-30-2010, 05:34 PM   #775
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Free agent frenzzzzzzzzy starts tomorrow.
Closed Thread