REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #26
degenerate extraordinaire
 
Ikkaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: missing rmd
Posts: 6,227
Thanked 489 Times in 233 Posts
Oh it's because we actually wave them down when we see them walk by, they acknowledge and say 'hold on' but never end up at our table. It's bad service when we have to do this 4 times before somebody actually stops at our table. And a few times they just stood there talking, and I saw a few people leave because they just could not get any service.
Advertisement
__________________
Quote:
Originally posted by 97ITR
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #27
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
StealthFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: smallville
Posts: 1,250
Thanked 638 Times in 176 Posts
never go to cho sun near boundary & kingsway. worst service. took 30 minutes to freaking bring out raw meat for korean bbq.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #28
SFICC-03*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: richmond
Posts: 7,049
Thanked 1,525 Times in 606 Posts
bad service in korean restaurants is normal in vancouver.
thats why i avoid them.

if you're the type who gets really upset about bad service, i suggest you do the same.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #29
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,828
Thanked 6,596 Times in 2,598 Posts
^
LOL! Aren't you Korean too?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #30
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here
 
hchang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,773
Thanked 2,952 Times in 682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
how is the service "bad"? it is that they dont visit your table in a timely manner?
My parents went to Jang Mo Jib once, and when they got the bill they paid by American Express, and a good 10 minutes later they came back saying they don't take American Express, so my parents paid with their MasterCard.

When the Credit Card invoice came, they saw that their American Express was charged twice, and their MasterCard once, so in total they paid tripled what their bill was, so they went there to show the staff that they've been charged three times. And was told that the manager wasn't there, but will be in in about an hour, so my parents waited until he showed up, and he did.

Then at this point, all the manager did was deny that it was them... seriously, what the fuck? My parents explained the situation and how their Credit Card was charged on the same day, and same location, so obviously it was them, and he still somehow manages to fucking deny it. Then told my parents that they'll look into it and call back, but they never asked them for their phone number or anything.

After my parents told me about the situation I went to the store multiple times and ended up getting all the three meals reimbursed, and I even managed to squeeze some gas money out of them LOL. Wasn't even worth all those trips in the end IMO...

Stay away from Jang Mo Jib!

Last edited by hchang; 07-06-2010 at 06:07 PM.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #31
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,828
Thanked 6,596 Times in 2,598 Posts
Which location was this at?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #32
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here
 
hchang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,773
Thanked 2,952 Times in 682 Posts
The one on Alexandra Road
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #33
RS controls my life!
 
red_2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 780
Thanked 234 Times in 59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFighter View Post
never go to cho sun near boundary & kingsway. worst service. took 30 minutes to freaking bring out raw meat for korean bbq.
bad service but good food imo.
red_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #34
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,242
Thanked 486 Times in 177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post

After my parents told me about the situation I went to the store multiple times and ended up getting all the three meals reimbursed, and I even managed to squeeze some gas money out of them LOL. Wasn't even worth all those trips in the end IMO...

Stay away from Jang Mo Jib!
could've straight up called customer service to do chargeback

i wouldnt go there more than once to deal with it.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #35
bcrdukes
 
TOS'd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 9,052
Thanked 5,121 Times in 1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFighter View Post
never go to cho sun near boundary & kingsway. worst service. took 30 minutes to freaking bring out raw meat for korean bbq.
Although not BBQ, I prefer heading East a bit more to the plaza Samosa Garden is at. There's a much smaller Korean restaurant that is pretty good in terms of food, called Da Rae Oak. Service can be good or slow though. Depends on if you make an effort to call down the waitress, usually only 1 girl working up front, or if you just sit there expecting someone to come check up on you every so often. Overall, food is good, so I go there often.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #36
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
StealthFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: smallville
Posts: 1,250
Thanked 638 Times in 176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Although not BBQ, I prefer heading East a bit more to the plaza Samosa Garden is at. There's a much smaller Korean restaurant that is pretty good in terms of food, called Da Rae Oak. Service can be good or slow though. Depends on if you make an effort to call down the waitress, usually only 1 girl working up front, or if you just sit there expecting someone to come check up on you every so often. Overall, food is good, so I go there often.
good to know. i'll probably try out da rae oak, jang mo jib or hanwoori.

the thing that boggles me about cho sun is that it took 10 minutes to bring out my friend's fried rice. but it took 30 mins for them to bring out raw beef?

maybe they were butchering a live cow in the back...
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:46 AM   #37
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,011
Thanked 71 Times in 34 Posts
jang mo jib is rip off
gyung bok palace is just nasty
i use to like kimchi nara in richmond but they closed down.
Fobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #38
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
jimkim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 202
Thanked 8 Times in 3 Posts
while we're on the subject of korean food... does anyone know where you can get good fried chicken with that sweet red sauce, and pickled radish cubes?
jimkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #39
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
tcneo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 694
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Although not BBQ, I prefer heading East a bit more to the plaza Samosa Garden is at. There's a much smaller Korean restaurant that is pretty good in terms of food, called Da Rae Oak. Service can be good or slow though. Depends on if you make an effort to call down the waitress, usually only 1 girl working up front, or if you just sit there expecting someone to come check up on you every so often. Overall, food is good, so I go there often.
U can also try Woo Ri Jib (our house) on the next strip mall (the one with subway) west of Da Rae Oak. The lady who owns it doesn't really speak english though, but everything that they have is written on the wall in english & korean, so you can just point and say how many you want.
tcneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #40
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 4,694
Thanked 239 Times in 94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobman View Post
jang mo jib is rip off
gyung bok palace is just nasty
i use to like kimchi nara in richmond but they closed down.
Yeah, Kimchi nara was my favourite too.
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #41
I STILL don't get it
 
donot521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 469
Thanked 63 Times in 22 Posts
Anyone mention Dai Jang Kim in Richmond? On Bridgeport.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/39375...g-Kum-Richmond

I like their food there. Bell service and good service every time I've gone.
donot521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #42
bcrdukes
 
TOS'd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 9,052
Thanked 5,121 Times in 1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcneo View Post
U can also try Woo Ri Jib (our house) on the next strip mall (the one with subway) west of Da Rae Oak. The lady who owns it doesn't really speak english though, but everything that they have is written on the wall in english & korean, so you can just point and say how many you want.
I take it you have been to Da Rae Oak. How would you compare the two?
Posted via RS Mobile
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:22 AM   #43
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
ilubebe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 248
Thanked 111 Times in 14 Posts
The one at Lansdown is pretty good.
its like $15+ i think or $19+ for All you can eat or Choose 5 meals for $25.
The service is good too. and the food is pretty good.
All you can eat, BBQ meat, sushi, noodle(idk what it's called) + pancake thing and soup.

I wouldn't go to jang mo jib. They don't give that much. :/ 4 years ago? i went... they gave A LOT of tofu. Less meat :/ I think its around $10+ ? I forgot... It's been a while. I haven't go for soo long. lol I think they only do hot pot tho... ?

My sister told me theres a good BBQ across aberdeen? I think it's BBQ, Im not sureeee... but she said its good and its also All you can eat yupyup*
ilubebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #44
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
tcneo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 694
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
I take it you have been to Da Rae Oak. How would you compare the two?
Posted via RS Mobile
been to both places numerous times. Da Rae Oak wins on price since they have the lunch specials. This Woo RI Jib doesn't have any specials, but it feels like a home cooked meal if I'm a Korean, but I'm not.

Woo Ri Jib only have a limited amount of selection.
Sulluntang, Galbitang, Ggorikomtang, Haejangguk, Bimbimbab, Nengmyun.. etc

Da Rae Oak on the other hand have a more extensive menu, plus you can order soju/beer there too.
tcneo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #45
RS Lurker, I don't post!
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jang mo jib is really not known for their bbq. They're better known for their pork and potato hot pot which is frickn' awesome. But of all the locations, Robson is the best maybe it's because of all the Korean clientele. The one in Richmond is really not that great and neither is the one on Kingsway, imho.
superzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #46
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order
 
Culverin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,443
Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superzero View Post
Jang mo jib is really not known for their bbq. They're better known for their pork and potato hot pot which is frickn' awesome. But of all the locations, Robson is the best maybe it's because of all the Korean clientele. The one in Richmond is really not that great and neither is the one on Kingsway, imho.
I got curious and tried their other hot pot @ the richmond location.
It sounded interesting, spicy, noodles, blah blah blah.
I figured wow, the pork bone hot pot is epic, so how bad could this be.

Soup was meh, and somewhat spicy.
Instant noodles
Hot dog weiners cut into chunks
1 slice of craft single placed on the very top.

I was like OMGWTF, yes it sounds very similar to the hotdog + instant noodles you can get at hk tea cafes, but that's how they advertise it,
Luncheon meat + instant noodles.

Iunno, you've now been warned. One of the worst things I've ever ordered.
Stay far, far away.
do. not. want.
__________________
***Sarlo's Awesome Eatery ***
Facebook // Instagram
Culverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:45 PM   #47
bcrdukes
 
TOS'd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 9,052
Thanked 5,121 Times in 1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcneo View Post
been to both places numerous times. Da Rae Oak wins on price since they have the lunch specials. This Woo RI Jib doesn't have any specials, but it feels like a home cooked meal if I'm a Korean, but I'm not.

Woo Ri Jib only have a limited amount of selection.
Sulluntang, Galbitang, Ggorikomtang, Haejangguk, Bimbimbab, Nengmyun.. etc

Da Rae Oak on the other hand have a more extensive menu, plus you can order soju/beer there too.
Sweet, I guess I picked the better of the two while looking for some Korean food one night. Thanks
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #48
SFICC-03*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: richmond
Posts: 7,049
Thanked 1,525 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
I got curious and tried their other hot pot @ the richmond location.
It sounded interesting, spicy, noodles, blah blah blah.
I figured wow, the pork bone hot pot is epic, so how bad could this be.

Soup was meh, and somewhat spicy.
Instant noodles
Hot dog weiners cut into chunks
1 slice of craft single placed on the very top.

I was like OMGWTF, yes it sounds very similar to the hotdog + instant noodles you can get at hk tea cafes, but that's how they advertise it,
Luncheon meat + instant noodles.

Iunno, you've now been warned. One of the worst things I've ever ordered.
Stay far, far away.
do. not. want.
that sounds like bu dae jji gae
i think its good, but its definitely nothing special ingredient wise.
its korean war poverty food
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #49
Guest
 
Spooling's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 106
Thanked 15 Times in 6 Posts
be prepared to get majorly ripped off
Spooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #50
I STILL don't get it
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 462
Thanked 150 Times in 37 Posts
The Korean restaurant on Kingsway.. I think it's called bada Iyagi or something..
one right where arcade used to be.. across from bubble tea place..
hands down without a single doubt the worst food I've ever had..
In terms of freshness, it cannot be beaten unless you are sharing your food with a maggot. Food tasted/smelled horrible... I ended up walking out because it was THAT bad..
I am shocked how a restaurant can be THAT bad and still in business... seriously..
I don't believe in wasting food.. but I didn't feel bad at all for wasting because what I wasted that day wasn't food
chinook79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net