REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   DriveSmartBC - A Good Idea for the On Ramp (https://www.revscene.net/forums/619442-drivesmartbc-good-idea-ramp.html)

skidmark 07-09-2010 04:56 PM

DriveSmartBC - A Good Idea for the On Ramp

I've always wondered about the driver in the far left lane as I used the on ramp to enter a freeway. Would they change lanes to the right while I was trying to join the flow of fast moving traffic by moving into the same lane from the left? Not everyone bothers to signal their lane changes and having to move out of the lane before it ends adds to my complications.

A solution that I like is in use in the province of Quebec. The leftmost lane on the autoroute is marked with a combination broken and solid white line for the length of the on ramp. The solid line on the left side of the broken line prevents drivers in the fast lane from moving to the right but still allows drivers in the slow lane to move over and make room if they wish to do so.

The system works when drivers follow the rules, removing one complication from the equation of joining the traffic flow for the merging driver.

Of course, a defensive driver would consider the possibility and scan for those who don't follow the rules but the job could be made simpler through the use of a small amount of white paint. This would not be a significant expense in comparison to other highway improvements aimed at reducing conflict and collisions. It would also be simple to implement in the course of repainting the lines each year.

Reference Links

BallPeenHammer2 07-09-2010 07:47 PM

I agree with that.
But generally, I find that it's not too too bad wiith going on on ramps here, since most ppl can see u coming and they will try to get out of that lane so they don't have to slow down much.

johny 07-09-2010 10:16 PM

the worst painting I've seen is the new highway to Whistler. every time it goes from one lane to 2 lanes (there is still a bunch of one lane sections) the painted lines actually direct you into the left hand lane. they should be directing you into the right hand lanes. on the old highway it kinda split in the middle and it was a 50/50 which way to go which is normally how it is. directing right would be even better. I've seen this outside BC.

sebberry 07-10-2010 03:31 PM

People here constantly fail to observe lane markings, I'm not so sure that having a solid line to keep people in the left land would do much good.

IMO, the bigger problem is the location of the 90km/hr sign along the merge lane. Drivers are required to drive at the previous posted speed (perhaps 50km/hr) along side vehicles that are doing 90km/hr until they reach the 90km/hr sign.

If drivers were legally permitted to match their speed to freeway speed in a merge lane prior to reaching that 90km/hr sign, there would be less potential for conflict.

johny 07-10-2010 03:32 PM

^ that is what the merge lane is for....

sebberry 07-10-2010 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johny (Post 7023621)
^ that is what the merge lane is for....

Yes, but I can think of a number of merge lanes where the freeway speed isn't posted until after the merge, meaning you are legally required to drive at the previous posted limit until you reach the next speed limit sign.

Raid3n 07-10-2010 09:22 PM

................you're telling me that you'll drive 50kph on a highway after joining from an on ramp until you reach a speed sign?

mkchoi0801 07-10-2010 09:31 PM

That is the 'rule' my friend.

sebberry 07-10-2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid3n (Post 7023915)
................you're telling me that you'll drive 50kph on a highway after joining from an on ramp until you reach a speed sign?

You're telling me you drive 40km/hr over the previously posted speed limit prior to reaching the freeway's posted speed limit?

jlenko 07-12-2010 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7023618)
People here constantly fail to observe lane markings, I'm not so sure that having a solid line to keep people in the left land would do much good.

^ Agreed 1000%. People just don't care about the painted lines.

My pet peeve at the moment is the HOV lane on Hwy 1 though Burnaby/Coquitlam.. especially now, from 7pm to 6am, as people use the HOV lane (despite the solid painted line) as a uber-fast passing lane. Now the lead-foot maniacs have three lanes to weave through. (and I haven't ONCE seen a police officer out there catching these jerks).

BallPeenHammer2 07-12-2010 08:41 AM

DITTO. I see that all the time driving from Richmond to N. Vancouver for work.

wing_woo 07-12-2010 12:27 PM

And I know people who don't understand what the solid white line means. I once told my friend that she is not supposed to change lanes on a solid white line and she did not even know that. Worse yet, she insists I'm wrong and continues doing it.

taylor192 07-12-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7023618)

It is a problem of the lane marking being different for each province. BC has a lot of emigrants fro the rest of Canada.

In Ontario, the solid line is not a mandatory rule, it is a cautionary mark which you don't have to follow and no punishment for disregarding.
In BC, the solid line is a mandatory rule, with stiff penalties for not complying with.

My coworkers had to explain the solid line thing to me, I was used to passing on solid lines.

sebberry 07-12-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7025673)
It is a problem of the lane marking being different for each province. BC has a lot of emigrants fro the rest of Canada.

In Ontario, the solid line is not a mandatory rule, it is a cautionary mark which you don't have to follow and no punishment for disregarding.
In BC, the solid line is a mandatory rule, with stiff penalties for not complying with.

My coworkers had to explain the solid line thing to me, I was used to passing on solid lines.

Inconsistent laws between provinces not only increase your risk of getting a ticket, but are also a safety hazard.

I can see traffic regulations being different between Canada and the US, but within Canada it should be standardized. Same with equipment regulations - stopping at the BC border to peel off your window tint?

BallPeenHammer2 07-12-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 (Post 7025447)
DITTO. I see that all the time driving from Richmond to N. Vancouver for work.

Skidmark, why was my comment edited by YOU? If you didn't like the language at least let me know B4 editing instead of just editing it and saying nothing. Thank you.

underscore 07-12-2010 08:51 PM

^ please read this http://www.revscene.net/forums/pleas...ce-t33412.html (the police forum rules). There is a note in there about profanity.

skidmark 07-12-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 (Post 7025969)
Skidmark, why was my comment edited by YOU? If you didn't like the language at least let me know B4 editing instead of just editing it and saying nothing. Thank you.

Sure, next time I'll just expect that you've read the sticky and apply points instead. Thanks back.

BallPeenHammer2 07-12-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 7026183)
^ please read this http://www.revscene.net/forums/pleas...ce-t33412.html (the police forum rules). There is a note in there about profanity.

Ah. Missed that one.

Plus the other one SkidMark started had profanity in it but nothing was edited.

goo3 07-12-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7024013)
You're telling me you drive 40km/hr over the previously posted speed limit prior to reaching the freeway's posted speed limit?

This totally defeats the purpose of a merge lane. Are you sure you're interpreting the rule correctly? You're probably causing a whole lot of grief for ppl behind you for no good reason.

johny 07-12-2010 10:39 PM

I watched for a speed sign yesterday getting onto an on ramp. it was 700m past the merge point. do you go 50km/h for 700m down the highway? as soon as you hit the merge lane you speed up to the flow of traffic, before merging in. have some common sense. you merge at 50 you're going to get rearended.

goo3 07-12-2010 11:20 PM

yeh.. previously posted speed limit = previous sign on the highway not the one you in particular saw.

mkchoi0801 07-12-2010 11:29 PM

So.... are you supposed to reverse, check speed limit and proceed? :P

jlenko 07-12-2010 11:52 PM

This is why the laws seem so confusing... some people just can't think for themselves.

Common sense just ain't so common now, is it?

mkchoi0801 07-13-2010 12:58 AM

This is why sarcasm is so confusing... some people just can't think for themselves.

Sarcasm just ain't so sarcastic now, is it?

Do you wanna try this again?

BallPeenHammer2 07-13-2010 07:02 AM

what about places like knight st. bridge into vancouver - it goes from 80 to 50kph at one of its most busiest junctions. Should ppl just slam their brakes?

I've seen the cops set up traps there to get ppl when they start letting off the gas to coast or slowly slow down.