REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Retired Traffic Cop

DriveSmartBC - A Good Idea for the On Ramp

I've always wondered about the driver in the far left lane as I used the on ramp to enter a freeway. Would they change lanes to the right while I was trying to join the flow of fast moving traffic by moving into the same lane from the left? Not everyone bothers to signal their lane changes and having to move out of the lane before it ends adds to my complications.

A solution that I like is in use in the province of Quebec. The leftmost lane on the autoroute is marked with a combination broken and solid white line for the length of the on ramp. The solid line on the left side of the broken line prevents drivers in the fast lane from moving to the right but still allows drivers in the slow lane to move over and make room if they wish to do so.

The system works when drivers follow the rules, removing one complication from the equation of joining the traffic flow for the merging driver.

Of course, a defensive driver would consider the possibility and scan for those who don't follow the rules but the job could be made simpler through the use of a small amount of white paint. This would not be a significant expense in comparison to other highway improvements aimed at reducing conflict and collisions. It would also be simple to implement in the course of repainting the lines each year.

Reference Links
Advertisement

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I agree with that.
But generally, I find that it's not too too bad wiith going on on ramps here, since most ppl can see u coming and they will try to get out of that lane so they don't have to slow down much.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

the worst painting I've seen is the new highway to Whistler. every time it goes from one lane to 2 lanes (there is still a bunch of one lane sections) the painted lines actually direct you into the left hand lane. they should be directing you into the right hand lanes. on the old highway it kinda split in the middle and it was a 50/50 which way to go which is normally how it is. directing right would be even better. I've seen this outside BC.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
I subscribe to Revscene

People here constantly fail to observe lane markings, I'm not so sure that having a solid line to keep people in the left land would do much good.

IMO, the bigger problem is the location of the 90km/hr sign along the merge lane. Drivers are required to drive at the previous posted speed (perhaps 50km/hr) along side vehicles that are doing 90km/hr until they reach the 90km/hr sign.

If drivers were legally permitted to match their speed to freeway speed in a merge lane prior to reaching that 90km/hr sign, there would be less potential for conflict.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ that is what the merge lane is for....
Old 07-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
^ that is what the merge lane is for....
Yes, but I can think of a number of merge lanes where the freeway speed isn't posted until after the merge, meaning you are legally required to drive at the previous posted limit until you reach the next speed limit sign.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
................you're telling me that you'll drive 50kph on a highway after joining from an on ramp until you reach a speed sign?

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

That is the 'rule' my friend.
mkchoi0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #9
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
................you're telling me that you'll drive 50kph on a highway after joining from an on ramp until you reach a speed sign?
You're telling me you drive 40km/hr over the previously posted speed limit prior to reaching the freeway's posted speed limit?

Old 07-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
People here constantly fail to observe lane markings, I'm not so sure that having a solid line to keep people in the left land would do much good.
^ Agreed 1000%. People just don't care about the painted lines.

My pet peeve at the moment is the HOV lane on Hwy 1 though Burnaby/Coquitlam.. especially now, from 7pm to 6am, as people use the HOV lane (despite the solid painted line) as a uber-fast passing lane. Now the lead-foot maniacs have three lanes to weave through. (and I haven't ONCE seen a police officer out there catching these jerks).
Old 07-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #11

DITTO. I see that all the time driving from Richmond to N. Vancouver for work.

Last edited by skidmark; 07-12-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

And I know people who don't understand what the solid white line means. I once told my friend that she is not supposed to change lanes on a solid white line and she did not even know that. Worse yet, she insists I'm wrong and continues doing it.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
It is a problem of the lane marking being different for each province. BC has a lot of emigrants fro the rest of Canada.

In Ontario, the solid line is not a mandatory rule, it is a cautionary mark which you don't have to follow and no punishment for disregarding.
In BC, the solid line is a mandatory rule, with stiff penalties for not complying with.

My coworkers had to explain the solid line thing to me, I was used to passing on solid lines.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
It is a problem of the lane marking being different for each province. BC has a lot of emigrants fro the rest of Canada.

In Ontario, the solid line is not a mandatory rule, it is a cautionary mark which you don't have to follow and no punishment for disregarding.
In BC, the solid line is a mandatory rule, with stiff penalties for not complying with.

My coworkers had to explain the solid line thing to me, I was used to passing on solid lines.
Inconsistent laws between provinces not only increase your risk of getting a ticket, but are also a safety hazard.

I can see traffic regulations being different between Canada and the US, but within Canada it should be standardized. Same with equipment regulations - stopping at the BC border to peel off your window tint?

Old 07-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
DITTO. I see that all the time driving from Richmond to N. Vancouver for work.
Skidmark, why was my comment edited by YOU? If you didn't like the language at least let me know B4 editing instead of just editing it and saying nothing. Thank you.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #16
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,867 Posts
^ please read this http://www.revscene.net/forums/pleas...ce-t33412.html (the police forum rules). There is a note in there about profanity.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #17
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
Skidmark, why was my comment edited by YOU? If you didn't like the language at least let me know B4 editing instead of just editing it and saying nothing. Thank you.
Sure, next time I'll just expect that you've read the sticky and apply points instead. Thanks back.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
^ please read this http://www.revscene.net/forums/pleas...ce-t33412.html (the police forum rules). There is a note in there about profanity.
Ah. Missed that one.

Plus the other one SkidMark started had profanity in it but nothing was edited.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:25 PM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
You're telling me you drive 40km/hr over the previously posted speed limit prior to reaching the freeway's posted speed limit?
This totally defeats the purpose of a merge lane. Are you sure you're interpreting the rule correctly? You're probably causing a whole lot of grief for ppl behind you for no good reason.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #20
HELP ME PLS!!!

I watched for a speed sign yesterday getting onto an on ramp. it was 700m past the merge point. do you go 50km/h for 700m down the highway? as soon as you hit the merge lane you speed up to the flow of traffic, before merging in. have some common sense. you merge at 50 you're going to get rearended.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

yeh.. previously posted speed limit = previous sign on the highway not the one you in particular saw.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #22

So.... are you supposed to reverse, check speed limit and proceed? :P
Old 07-12-2010, 11:52 PM   #23
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

This is why the laws seem so confusing... some people just can't think for themselves.

Common sense just ain't so common now, is it?
Old 07-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #24

This is why sarcasm is so confusing... some people just can't think for themselves.

Sarcasm just ain't so sarcastic now, is it?

Do you wanna try this again?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:02 AM   #25

what about places like knight st. bridge into vancouver - it goes from 80 to 50kph at one of its most busiest junctions. Should ppl just slam their brakes?

I've seen the cops set up traps there to get ppl when they start letting off the gas to coast or slowly slow down.