REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   left-turners (https://www.revscene.net/forums/619613-left-turners.html)

twitchyzero 07-12-2010 11:35 AM

left-turners

when the light is green and there's a left-turner on the opposite side blocking the view of oncoming traffic PLEASE turn only when it's clear:2finger:

this morning on imperial heading eastbound (green light) some idiot made a left turn onto willingdon southbound while i was entering the intersection. He/she was right in my path and instead of quickly moving out of the way it just STOPPED there and i had no time/gap to stop so i had to swerve last second into the oncoming lane (luckily there were no cars there). i was probably less than a meter from t-boning the car.

good thing nothing happened
This intersection seems like a pretty high-accident area..throughout the years i've seen quite a bit here:(

gdoh 07-12-2010 11:41 AM

the biggest problem with that imo is people dont go as far as they can to the left so they are able to see with no problems...

glad to hear your alright tho

Leopold Stotch 07-12-2010 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 7025572)
when the light is green and there's a left-turner on the opposite side blocking the view of oncoming traffic PLEASE turn only when it's clear:2finger:

this morning on imperial heading eastbound (green light) some idiot made a left turn onto willingdon southbound while i was entering the intersection. He/she was right in my path and instead of quickly moving out of the way it just STOPPED there and i had no time/gap to stop so i had to swerve last second into the oncoming lane (luckily there were no cars there). i was probably less than a meter from t-boning the car.

good thing nothing happened
This intersection seems like a pretty high-accident area..throughout the years i've seen quite a bit here:(

i'm glad you swerved in time
but next time dont swerve. just hit the damn guy , at least that way you can't be at fault for an accident, sadly that's how it is.

twitchyzero 07-12-2010 11:52 AM

i know i used first person in my initial post but i was the passenger..was in my friend's car
i remember 2 years back i witnessed a women on a scooter getting t-boned in the exact same situation and intersection

JSALES 07-12-2010 12:54 PM

i remember this happened to me in richmond, car decided to make a left turn even though we were already in the intersection and going pretty fast. had to swerve into oncoming traffic and almost hitting the island too and the fucking c-lai drove off like it was nothing

1exotic 07-12-2010 01:12 PM

I drive a RHD so the visibility is even worse for me.

Best thing to do is just wait for yellow if it's busy, or if you can actually see then just go when clear.

I've almosted t-boned some lady in her new mercedes her husband bought her.

skyxx 07-12-2010 02:48 PM

^ Yup, sort of an "ass" move but better safe than sorry. I'd turn when it's safe, like a yellow light .

q0192837465 07-12-2010 02:58 PM

Yea, I agree. Don't feel pressured by the guy behind you. His convenience or your safety, pretty easy choice there.

clowe 07-12-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by q0192837465 (Post 7025815)
Yea, I agree. Don't feel pressured by the guy behind you. His convenience or your safety, pretty easy choice there.

+1

Some idiot kept honking me the other day when I was waiting for a left turn, the entire left lane on the other side was filled so I had no idea whether or not there was cars coming from the right lane. Good thing I didn't give into pressure or I would've been t-boned as several cars came in from the right lane right after.

Not really racist! 07-12-2010 06:01 PM

the fucking honkers behind you piss the fuck outta me

i just sorta try and block them out

rawr 07-12-2010 07:06 PM

I don't move unless I can see that it's clear to do so.

vafanculo 07-12-2010 07:11 PM

I use to take risks but for the last year or so when i'm in that situation I always take extra effort to wait till I have 100% view or a safe yellow or even a red if there's a car trailing fast.
Posted via RS Mobile

crazyazn 07-12-2010 08:56 PM

If people honk at you unreasonably...it's always very easy to screw them over by turning really late after the yellow

Not saying you should do that...but if you wanna be a dick...

AndM 07-12-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1exotic (Post 7025694)
I drive a RHD so the visibility is even worse for me.

Best thing to do is just wait for yellow if it's busy, or if you can actually see then just go when clear.

I've almosted t-boned some lady in her new mercedes her husband bought her.

U has a tt supra? or n/a?

Delerious 07-14-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyxx (Post 7025801)
^ Yup, sort of an "ass" move but better safe than sorry. I'd turn when it's safe, like a yellow light .

Yellow lights are NOT safe to turn on in this city man. I've seen SO MANY people blow yellow/red lights like they're fucking green. I know a number of friends in this city who've almost been run over by people running reds as they go to cross the street on foot.

124Y 07-14-2010 09:37 AM

If I can't see while turning, I'll wait it out. There are assholes who don't understand this principle; they honk at you to make you go when you don't have a clear view of oncoming traffic. They're usually the ones that take risks, guess, and end up getting T-boned by oncoming traffic.

gdoh 07-14-2010 09:43 AM

ive almost been hit cuz some asshole was speeding up to make the light when he clearly had tons of time to stop and then i have to wait for him so i can turn on a red meanwhile holding every1 else up....i try to make the light quit a bit but if theres some1 turning left i try to stop to make traffic go along smoother

ziggyx 07-14-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch (Post 7025593)
i'm glad you swerved in time
but next time dont swerve. just hit the damn guy , at least that way you can't be at fault for an accident, sadly that's how it is.

Yeah I tell people to try to never swerve. Either hit the guy or try really hard to stop. But then again t-boning a car is never a good thing. Best thing to do is always approach an intersection as if something bad is going to happen (or cautiously). That's what I've learned to do ever since I started riding a motorcycle and now I do it while driving also.

Not really racist! 07-14-2010 10:18 AM

when in doubt, turn when its red

there arent many times where the opposing traffic would honk you cause they understand

JiggaZed 07-14-2010 10:25 AM

You are supposed to enter the intersection with caution so you should have the ability to stop in case some idiot turning left does end up in your way...

twitchyzero 07-14-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiggaZed (Post 7028410)
You are supposed to enter the intersection with caution so you should have the ability to stop in case some idiot turning left does end up in your way...

unless i was driving under 35kph i wouldn't have stopped in time..i think i would've had this preparation if it was a fresh yellow but it was solid green.

here's a hypothetical scenario: suppose iwas driving 35km/h then stopped in tim just to avoid collision..then the guy behind me rear ends me (cause it's green and very unexpected) causing my car to end up hitting the risky left-turner anyways...who would be at fault? the rear ender? or the turner?

JiggaZed 07-14-2010 05:04 PM

The rear-ender and the turner would both be at fault. The turner because he's not where he's supposed to be and the rear-ender because he didn't give enough space behind you to be able to safely stop.

Nismo 1234 07-14-2010 06:42 PM

dangerous drivers everywhere...
my friend bought a mazda 3 2010 in sept of 2009... and in november 2009... he got into an accident like this.

a guy driving a mustang decided to do a left turn, and there were two cars traveling in the opposite direction. the mustang got past the car in the inner lane, but wasnt fast enough to avoid my friends mazda 3 hitting him... it was on lougheed hwy and dewdney trunk rd.

anyway, i guess this year wasnt so lucky for my friend.. 2 accidents within 2 month after he got the car. First one was a lady rear ending him cost 600 buck, tat was okay. and this accident cost 13g to fix! with a little frame damage..

CorneringArtist 07-14-2010 06:56 PM

I really hate it when I can't see past the car turning left in the opposite lane. It usually happens with a bigger car like a van or SUV. It's like roulette trying to figure out if the oncoming lane is clear or not.

In one instance I was honked at by an asshole since my view was blocked, and the motherfucker decided to tailgate me when I finished the turn. Today, same situation, but the guy behind me was nice enough to honk to tell me it was clear since the intersection I was at (148th and 100 ave in Surrey), is not that busy once the red light traffic clears.

Does anyone give a signal to a left turner in front of you if they can't see that the road is clear, but you can?

vafanculo 07-14-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneringArtist (Post 7028962)
I really hate it when I can't see past the car turning left in the opposite lane. It usually happens with a bigger car like a van or SUV. It's like roulette trying to figure out if the oncoming lane is clear or not.

In one instance I was honked at by an asshole since my view was blocked, and the motherfucker decided to tailgate me when I finished the turn. Today, same situation, but the guy behind me was nice enough to honk to tell me it was clear since the intersection I was at (148th and 100 ave in Surrey), is not that busy once the red light traffic clears.

Does anyone give a signal to a left turner in front of you if they can't see that the road is clear, but you can?

I don't think I would trust a go ahead from a stranger to be honest.

Just today on Granville and 60-70th there was an accident cause a girl was turning left between a gap in traffic and a taxi smoked her in the 3rd lane
Posted via RS Mobile