REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 07-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

SFU Engineering

Hey, well I didn't get into UBC Engineering with an 86 so I'm going to SFU now. I'm going to try and transfer to UBC in my 2nd year.

Anyway anyone else going to SFU Engineering this Fall? Anyone in that program right now?

I need some help with my course selections. What courses should I take in the Fall, and what are some easy electives I can take?

I found this http://www.ensc.sfu.ca/courses/elect...tudies_post_06

What are some easy courses I can take? Thanks!
Advertisement
buffon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

im currently in 2nd year going to 3rd hopefully soon lol. For first year courses, it was pretty much laid out for us. if im not wrong, for first semester, u are recommand to take math 150 or 151, cmpt 128, ensc 100 n 101, phy 120 ,and chem 121. however i took chem later on in the summer to reduce course load. hope this helps =] as for electives, you dont have much choices first sem. and there aree no easy electives for engineers. trust mee!
EmSir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

you could always just go to capilano, kwantlen or langara and do the first year program there then transfer to UBC the second year.

im not completely sure but i think the first year at SFU may not fully fulfill the first year requirements at UBC since SFU will logically assumes that if youre taking first year there, youre going to finish there.

anyways, i suggest you spend some time looking at the type of engineering you like (civil, mech, materials, bio, chemical, etc.) before making your choice because SFU and UBC are very different in that respect.
SeanJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I think a better route would be going to BCIT rather than SFU.

.02 cents
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:33 AM   #5

ya I really didn't want to go to SFU at all. I don't like the engineering majors they have. I really wanted to go to UBC just because they have Civil Engineering. I'm just going to SFU because it's too late now.

So after first year I can't transfer to UBC?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
c3m
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

You can but you are most likely going to be 1st year again at UBC

My friend transferred from SFU to UBC and she had to redo her 1st year at UBC because they wouldn't recognize her SFU courses.

Not sure the full detail on it but you can check if the courses you take from SFU or other Institutes (Kwantlen, Langara etc..) are transferable to UBC
http://www.bctransferguide.ca/
c3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #7

Wow that sucks... Why would anyone want to do that? I should have just gone to UBC-O lol.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
I've met a few people (5-ish?) this past year in 2nd year UBC Engineering who transferred directly into their department from Langara. I don't know how it works, but it's definitely possible.

I also have a friend who was all set to transfer into UBC 2nd year Eng from Waterloo, but decided against it and went into UBC Sciences instead hah.

Also, if you want to transfer into UBC Eng. in the future, don't go to BCIT. Something about a lack of transferable courses.

I suggest setting an appointment with Engineering Student Services (its what my Waterloo friend did to set his plan up) so that you can learn first-hand how the transfer protocol works: http://www.engineering.ubc.ca/prospe...te/contact.php
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,828 Times in 2,512 Posts
ya if you plan on going to SFU or UBC engineering, they dont like BCIT at all. BCIT does have bridging programs to U of Vic and LU out east though.

since you're looking at civil engineering, I believe in my last issue of apegbc's monthly magazine they mentioned that BCIT's degree in civil engineering just got accredited, 1st school that isnt a university i believe, so you might want to look in to that if you know you want to be a civil engineer

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffon View Post
ya I really didn't want to go to SFU at all. I don't like the engineering majors they have. I really wanted to go to UBC just because they have Civil Engineering. I'm just going to SFU because it's too late now.

You have to be strategic. Don't take all the courses they tell you to take just because they tell you to. You'll want to meet with the UBC advisor and find what courses included in the UBC curriculum have SFU equivalents decided already.

http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/vancouver...=12,195,272,33

For colleges, the information on what courses are transferrable is easily accessible. What you'll need to do is look up courses required by the UBC degree that have equivalents at a college:

http://www.bctransferguide.ca/institutions/ubc.cfm

Unfortunately, BC Transfer Guide doesn't do SFU -> UBC and UBC -> SFU. Just looking at it though, Kwantlen and Langara have many transferrable courses--it might be in your interests to go to Kwantlen or Langara instead of SFU, since they have courses recognized as equivalent. You'll save a bundle of cash as well. Search for the UBC course number and see if there is an equivalent... then take that.

You'll probably end up taking a bit more time to complete your degree, but for the coming year, you can really focus on performing well in the courses you plan to transfer, or get a part-time job.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #11

Quote:

hmm, i suppose my post wasn't clear enough but i want to get the point across that capilano, langara and kwantlen all have first year engineering transfer programs that TRANSFER DIRECTLY to ubc. if you go that route you'll end up in UBC second year engineering.

seriously, dont do an engineering discipline that youll hate just because you didnt get into your first choice of school. you will never find anything remotely related to civil engineering at sfu, ever.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanJohn View Post
seriously, dont do an engineering discipline that youll hate just because you didnt get into your first choice of school. you will never find anything remotely related to civil engineering at sfu, ever.
This.

If you like mechanical, SFU has a bit of that in mechatronics now... but no, nothing close to civil here. Don't do electrical/systems/computer at SFU just because you got in here--first year will be fine, but come third year, you'll hate it. Circuits, circuits, circuits.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:37 AM   #13
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,828 Times in 2,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsncars View Post
but come third year, you'll hate it. Circuits, circuits, circuits.

you sure it's not math math electromagnetics and math?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
you sure it's not math math electromagnetics and math?
Hehe fine... 75% circuits, 25% electromagnetics, 25% math. Oh wait...
Old 07-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #15

Thank you for all the replys.

What I meant about my transfer question was what if I wanted to transfer from SFU to UBC without going back to first year in UBC. That would be pointless.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #16

Since July 31 is the last day i can drop classes and change stuff around, I was thinking I might drop CMPT 128 and just have my Math, Physics, and two English courses for my Fall term. Anyone know how important that CMPT course is, and can I take it another term?

Would having 4 classes be too little? Should I just keep it? I also don't think UBC has that CMPT course for their first year. I still havn't gotten an answer from UBC Engineering on what courses to take at SFU so I can transfer.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #17
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for all the replys.

What I meant about my transfer question was what if I wanted to transfer from SFU to UBC without going back to first year in UBC. That would be pointless.
I've already mentioned that I've met kids who took 2nd year at UBC WITHOUT having taken first year here as well. Direct transfer IS, in fact, an option. Talk to a UBC advisor (you'll notice multiple people have suggested this) for the full details. Link in my previous post.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Since July 31 is the last day i can drop classes and change stuff around, I was thinking I might drop CMPT 128 and just have my Math, Physics, and two English courses for my Fall term. Anyone know how important that CMPT course is, and can I take it another term?

Would having 4 classes be too little? Should I just keep it? I also don't think UBC has that CMPT course for their first year. I still havn't gotten an answer from UBC Engineering on what courses to take at SFU so I can transfer.
You can always take classes in another term. But be careful since classes may only he offered in one term per school year. You might just have to spread your first year over two years then.

As for only doing four classes...it really depends if you have been in school fairly recently and can get back into study mode right away. If you haven't then spreading out your first year over a couple of years is a good idea since it also gets you used to the "engineering mindset" that you'll need. But four courses is considered very little for engineering since seven courses is the norm. You might as well push yourself to do at least 5 or 6 courses now since you'll be much more used to the workload once you get into higher years.

I wish I had done that in my first year instead of taking it easy. If I had I would get this degree done a year or so faster than I currently am.
Posted via RS Mobile