REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #26
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,526 Times in 4,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mqr03 View Post
I'm not siding with either or but you do realize your European ancestors did steal 'their' land and practically raped and pillaged whole tribes hundreds of years ago.
Its not like the government doesn't waste our money on other frivolous expenditures.
That's the way the world was back then. They tried to do that to China, India, Japan, etc. Countries invaded other countries all the time. In feudal times, they fought each other just for kicks.
Advertisement
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 AM   #27
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,843 Times in 8,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
Yes, I know, they are just stories, but they are not too farfetched. How about you take a litte stroll through a Reserve by yourself and hangout along the rivers with a fishing pole, and report back what happens.
Posted via RS Mobile
I used to all the time, I somehow came away unscathed. Imagine that!

My high school was right by the reserve, so probably 1/3 or 1/4 of the students were native. They were no different from the rest of the kids.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I know, they are just stories, but they are not too farfetched. How about you take a litte stroll through a Reserve by yourself and hangout along the rivers with a fishing pole, and report back what happens.
Posted via RS Mobile
hahaha i drove in to a indian reserve without knowing once .. and i got stared down by every native
EmperorIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:18 AM   #29
MG1

Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
I go to Musqeuam reserve at least once or twice a year. They love me there. "Oh, back again.......nice to see you again. How many sockeye do you want this time?" Actually, it could be because of the way I look. I can pass for a Hawaiian, a native, Chinese, Japanese, Inuit, Vietnamese. Everything except Caucasian or South Asian. Comes in handy. I attribute it all to my experiences growing up in the DTES. I can hang with with all kinds of people. I can put on a native accent and be all laid back, LOL.

Lesson number one. Don't stick out like a sore thumb. Be cool and stop behaving like a tourist. Some people are like dogs. They can sense fear a mile away. Have confidence without being cocky. Fishing pole on a fucking reserve? Holy shit, that's dumb.

This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2010, 12:21 AM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
XwayXway haha

0:34-0:40 lol
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2010, 12:23 AM   #31
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
good example from other minority that were also marginalize in the course of history. Hangout is not doing them any good. There is a reason why natives are overrepresent in prison and despite their handout have the lowest level of education compare to others.

whats the deal with their passport? how are they able to have one where they have no land (the reserves are still under jurisdiction of canadian government) no official governement and no recognization from other nations?
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:19 AM   #32
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,551 Times in 845 Posts
hmmm, i knew this kid in HS that was 1/16th native.

fucker got into ubc with shit for marks, didnt do shit in school

fucking pissed me off
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:34 AM   #33
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,843 Times in 8,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmx323 View Post

fucking pissed me off
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:37 AM   #34
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,551 Times in 845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Damn straight I'm hatin'
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2010, 06:08 AM   #35
Banned (ABWS)

They should be grateful the Europeans didn't wipe them out completely, and use that opportunity to do something with their life.
bengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:36 AM   #36
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Oh god, not more native demands. Seriously, why are they still whining?

No one should have to apologize for winning. I don't get why white people even feel guilty about it.

I'm Chinese and Chinese people had to work on railroads or some shit here in Canada in basically slave conditions. You don't see me crying about head taxes and whatever my people had to do a hundred years ago.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2010, 07:51 AM   #37
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorIS View Post
hahaha i drove in to a indian reserve without knowing once .. and i got stared down by every native
lol i had that happen to me too (Musqueam Reserve: http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...204.94,,0,8.97 ), did it for the experience and was unsure of what was going to happen, the reserves have a mix of houses; some are quite the shitholes, some are actually decent looking house. Personally, I'd do back flips if my neighboor threw all his shit out in his front yard and had a capsized boat on it while my place was neat. Natives aren't mad at white people, they're mad at each other and the shit they have to put up with. Its like when Chris Rock was talking about "black people" and "niggas".

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #38
I STILL don't get it

USER RECEIVED 24 POINTS FOR THIS POST
Posted via RS Mobile
XxFcukxX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #39
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Oh god, not more native demands. Seriously, why are they still whining?

No one should have to apologize for winning. I don't get why white people even feel guilty about it.

I'm Chinese and Chinese people had to work on railroads or some shit here in Canada in basically slave conditions. You don't see me crying about head taxes and whatever my people had to do a hundred years ago.
there are chinese people that still protest about the head taxes. doesn't mean all people do it.

in the same token, just because the news says natives protest about their conditions doesn't mean ALL natives do it.
BaoXu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #40
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
or we can listen to news1130..
There is a time when you have to sig a post.

It just happened.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #41
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,089 Times in 562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmx323 View Post

fucking pissed me off
man i am with you on this shit, the school admission marks is like.. WTF =.= , so just cuz you are native, it means you are "not as smart" and will need lower standards to get the same degree? i was like WTF =.=
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #42
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
It's not like things like invasion and genocide have an expiry date.
Yes they do. History is filled with atrocities, yet we don't bend over backwards for everyone's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-...-grandparents that were wronged.

First nations have had more than enough chances to either live their simple life like the Amish successfully do, or to integrate into our modern society. They don't want either, they want handouts. Screw'em.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #43
Banned (ABWS)

^ how about the white bums on the street addicted to crack and cocaine? they want handouts too. yet the government helps them.
BaoXu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #44
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
They don't want either, they want handouts. Screw'em.
Interesting statement there..........

This is why NativeRus needs to be here. To hear his side of the story, because none of us are experts on the subject.

We have reserves. Nobody is forced to live there, correct? If you leave, you lose some or all of the money you get from the leader(s), plus no house, benefits, etc. Now, this money comes from the government. I'm not sure how much they get.

Is this not a form of control?

There are plenty of First Nations people out there who are not living on reserves. They have mingled with the rest of society. Many of them are no longer "full breeds" <--- not a great term, but I'll use it.

A lot of First Nations people with mixed blood, don't advertise the fact they have a First Nations background. Even if it means losing some form of funding. If I were First Nations, I'd be a little pissed off and confused, too. The way people talk about your kind on forums like this and so on. I try to put myself in other people's shoes - see how/why they are the way they are.

I hope this thread doesn't get to fight club. I hope we get some insight into their (First Nations people) lives, mindset, struggles, challenges, etc. I guess we'll never know because as soon as someone does pipe in, they'll get bombarded with negative comments.

This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #45
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
wow.. dont they get enough benefits from the governments already?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #46
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

it be awesome if we can keep them on their reserves and fence them off and not give them money nor white mans technology and watch them live in the past which they so desire..... that would be soo swell...
Shead is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #47
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoXu View Post
^ how about the white bums on the street addicted to crack and cocaine? they want handouts too. yet the government helps them.
Yes, and that's what our government must do. We cannot let people die on the streets. No matter what the situation.

If you look closely (DTES), it's not just white people or Indigenous peoples anymore. There are Asians, South Asians, you name it. Drug addiction has no boundaries........

People talk shit on RS. Let's incinerate the DTES, blah, blah, blah. The DTES is there because of the attitudes we have as a society. Everything from the way we don't care about our fellow man to the way we just live our lives without........ nvm.

Our society is basically messed up. It's better to just sweep things under the rug. Politicians don't give a fuck. It's easier to just give out money and look good doing it. There is no easy answer to any of this shit. Throwing negative comments out there sure doesn't help.

Sorry, BaoXu, my comments are not directed at you. Just took the opportunity to throw out some random thoughts. Time for my ritalin, LOL.

This post thanked by:
Old 07-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #48
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
I used to all the time, I somehow came away unscathed. Imagine that!

My high school was right by the reserve, so probably 1/3 or 1/4 of the students were native. They were no different from the rest of the kids.
I guess you haven't seen urban native kids then. I went to Macdonald Elementary and Britannia Secondary. Probably the two schools with the most native kids in Vancouver. They were far from normal.

In elementary, every year we would have cops come in to lecture us because some native kids kept stealing shit from 7-11 or value village. We had one native kid steal a car (in grade 6!) and crash into someone, killing 4 passengers in the other vehicle. I've been trying to look for the news article but this was in 1998/1999(?), and if anyone else was at Macdonald, the school made a huge deal out of it trying to get sympathy for the kid (what a joke). We had native kids push a pregnant teacher who subsequently left because she didn't feel safe at the school. The education there was just awful as well. We replaced real school material with fucking potlatches and spent 2 weeks making fucking blankets for elders (for FREE). Out of all the people I remember from that school, probably 1 or 2 went onto university/post-secondary with me.

Moving onto high school, you'd start to see the native kids dropping like flies. By grade 9 or 10, you'd have trouble finding a single native still in school. Most of them didn't even take normal classes and were part of some native program where all they did was go on field trips and learn elementary level material.
Vinny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #49
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny G View Post
I went to Macdonald Elementary
I believe that's one of the schools being closed down by the VSB.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #50
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,719 Times in 392 Posts
1982 TE72
1988 5.0
1990 S13 Coupe
2006 Mazda B4000 4x4
1987 Ae86 Coupe
1988 Cressida Wagon
1985 Cressida 7m Swap
1987 Ae86 Hatch