REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 AM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
dude. we definatley ordered it. poutine isnt bad in the 1st place. add lobster and you know its gonna be epic
Advertisement
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:34 AM   #27
Director of RS Cares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
.....Global Group have the best food in the city, but the bullshit you have to deal with sucks!
...You're kidding right? GloWbal is a very successful business and are great people to deal with in business..but I definitely wouldn't give them that badge of being "the best in the city" when it comes to the food. But then again that's just my opinion. Posted via RS Mobile
miss_crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:13 AM   #28
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Off topic question but why doesn't any of the Glowbal group restaurants accept debit cards?
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_crayon View Post
...You're kidding right? GloWbal is a very successful business and are great people to deal with in business..but I definitely wouldn't give them that badge of being "the best in the city" when it comes to the food. But then again that's just my opinion. Posted via RS Mobile
Until another restaurant group can fuse so many different flavours and cultures together, The Global Group is tops in my books...Joe Fortes/Goldfish is OK and Vijs is exceptional, but I hate lining up. Top dishes at Global Group are;

Kobe Beef Balls - Italian Kitchen
Lobster Poutine - Coast
Mango California Roll - Coast
Lobster Sheppards Pie - Society
Fried Rice - Sanafir ( I am asian, but Sanafir has the best fried rice in the city)
Mac Cheese Balls - Society
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #30
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
Ever tried the lobster poutine? It's epic.

I've got 2 reasons to go there:
  • Lobster Poutine
  • A-buck-a-shuck
1 friend raved about that poutine while another friend said it was just 'meh'
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #31
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
I've gotta agree. I went to Glowbal 4 times before they had their reopening in Yaletown and I've gotta say, the food was well below average. Each time I had gone, food was burnt and not "slightly browned" like they said it was. Fish was burnt, satay was burnt...to the point where you could taste teh carbon. I'm never setting foot there ever again.

Coast wasn't much better, food was alright but the service was awful. They did overcharge us our bill but that was corrected.

Italian Kitchen was the only one where I'd say things turned out alright.
aznrsx1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #32
Director of RS Cares

And people, not to be the grammar police or anything..but it's gloWbal with a W!!!!!

And z3guy, I agree that their concept is smart but just because they are able to fuse different cultures and flavours together doesn't mean the food is delicious/the best. Ideas can be smart, but it's another for the cooks executing the right taste.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #33
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
1 friend raved about that poutine while another friend said it was just 'meh'
I have had it when worth raving about.
And there are other times it's been meh.

Other stuff turns out more consistently, but it's a hit and a miss whether they deliver quality.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:40 AM   #34

Quote:
And people, not to be the grammar police or anything..but it's gloWbal with a W!!!!!

And z3guy, I agree that their concept is smart but just because they are able to fuse different cultures and flavours together doesn't mean the food is delicious/the best. Ideas can be smart, but it's another for the cooks executing the right taste.
Posted via RS Mobile
You might not have had good dining experiences with the Glowbal group....but more people agree with my dining experiences Vs yours because they are by far the busiest chain group in the greater vancouver area. They have 4 more location to open in the next 12 months....they must be doing something right......
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 07-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #35
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,507 Times in 4,310 Posts
What they're good at is luring people who become victims of the social demographic marketing and clearly, you and the rest of their patrons are one of them. I have sampled at several of their restaurants where a close friend of mine works for the chain as a sous chef. I will agree with Miss Crayon that their food isn't the most delicious nor is it of any major importance.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
What they're good at is luring people who become victims of the social demographic marketing and clearly, you and the rest of their patrons are one of them. I have sampled at several of their restaurants where a close friend of mine works for the chain as a sous chef. I will agree with Miss Crayon that their food isn't the most delicious nor is it of any major importance.
Bang on. Their restaurants appeal to 23-35 year old yuppies who want to be seen. (and I say this as a 28-year old yuppie who lives the "condo lifestyle".)

To me, the Glowbal Group is just a tier above the Cactus/Joey/Earls "mafia" (the three people that run the these restaurants are brothers, after all) which isn't saying much.

The Glowbal Group is to the restaurant business as the Donnelly Pub Group is to the pub/club business.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:39 AM   #37
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Cactus/Joey/Earls "mafia" (the three people that run the these restaurants are brothers.
i think u've been misinformed..

and just to comment on the last few posts - I agree that they're business concept is bang on in terms of putting asses in seats who will spend money. As far as food is concerned they do the usual successful Vancouver chain restaurant scheme which is "consistently average".
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #38
Director of RS Cares

Yep, didn't think I was crazy afterall
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #39
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
I only like global out of that whole group.
Posted via RS Mobile
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #40
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
There was a thread about this before and I position still stands, it's a decent place to eat but are they epic? not really.

Italian kitchen was by far the worse. The townhall (which was called Saltlick) closed down and they had to reno it because they did a bad job making it a 'steakhouse'. they realized it really limited their menu so they had to take it down and make it more friendly for those who doesn't eat beef.
oh wait, Glowbal is still the worse out of of all the chains.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:27 AM   #41

This thread is becoming quite comical, I didn't know RS had so many food critics. I guess all the professional food critics & writers don't know what they are talking about...also, I guess all the consumers who go to Glowbal properties are just poseurs and don't know anything about food......

and to bcrdukes and miss crayon, you make me laugh.....I sense you are the guys that know more than anyone else...since you know more about food and social demos than anyone else, please share with us which are the best restaurants in the city?
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 07-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #42
Banned By Establishment

italian kitchen blows. Stop riding their dick. The only reason I like global is because they make a good steak and a good burger
Old 07-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #43

^ bottomline they are making money off you.....who gets the last laugh? just remember you helped emad buy his Aston Martin hahahahaha
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #44
Banned By Establishment

japadog because he makes more money then all the resteraunts combined.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #45

^ I guess you are a food connoisseur because you like to pay $8 for a hot dog with Japanese mayo.............enjoy your streetmeat......
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 07-29-2010, 03:59 PM   #46
Director of RS Cares

Dude, no need for the mean-muggin. Glowbal is great as a business but just because a lot of us don't like their food and have an opinion about it doesn't mean we're claiming to be "food connoisseurs," just simply relaying our opinions on why we don't like their food. And provence marinaside+amarcord are great places if you're curious where I like to go.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 07-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #47
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,507 Times in 4,310 Posts
I challenge Z3guy to take miss_crayon out on a dinner date to settle this debacle.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #48

Quote:
This thread is becoming quite comical, I didn't know RS had so many food critics. I guess all the professional food critics & writers don't know what they are talking about...also, I guess all the consumers who go to Glowbal properties are just poseurs and don't know anything about food......

and to bcrdukes and miss crayon, you make me laugh.....I sense you are the guys that know more than anyone else...since you know more about food and social demos than anyone else, please share with us which are the best restaurants in the city?
Here's the list of winners from the Vancouver Restaurant Awards. I've been to a number of the restaurants listed and gotta agree with the winners. Doesn't look like Glowbal won anything.

http://www.vanmag.com/Restaurants/Aw...ember_download
Old 07-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #49

Quote:
^ I guess you are a food connoisseur because you like to pay $8 for a hot dog with Japanese mayo.............enjoy your streetmeat......
Hey nothing wrong with street meat. Why do you think if you travel to other countries, so many people eat at the vendors. It's not only cheap, but they've usually got some of the best food around.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:33 AM   #50
Banned By Establishment

Actually it was a joke that some guy with a few hot dog carts has more liquidity than any high class restaurant in vancouver.