REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 02-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #26
rsx
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,381 Times in 805 Posts
Going to hk tmw. I'll be checking out Sp's recommendations. On top of that, I always go to Spicy Crab Under Bridge in wanchai.
Advertisement
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #27
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,041 Times in 586 Posts
The best wontons I had at my recent trip were at a place not far from Central MTR station:

Mak An Kee Noodle (Wing Kut Street)
37 Wing Kut Street, Central

It's just off the main street there (forgot the name) in what looks like an alley.

Their braised beef brisket and tendon is also sensational. Probably my favorite meal during the trip.

As for my second favorite meal (it was a damn close second too):

Imagine a roast pig, with rice cooking inside, and mostly deboned. Omg just thinking about it makes me want to put it at the top of my list

As for the name of the place or the dish, I'm useless. It was part of a family dinner, so it's probably not best if you're eating in a small group.

It's here (just off Tsuen Wan MTR): Asia Trip 2012 - Google Maps

Go on the overpass (that you see) and it's to the left of that karaoke place. I wish I could be more help

Also, I got a ton of this in the month I was there:

http://oneyearmandarin.files.wordpre...9832.jpg?w=640

m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #28
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Check out this site:
Hong Kong Restaurants Guide HK Restaurant - OpenRice in English

It's like the Hong Kong equivalent of Yelp.
heleu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #29
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 2,189 Times in 983 Posts
For fine dining, check out Ming Court at the Langham Hotel in Mongkok.

My Mom has a friend that works at this restaurant. -was able to get a 30% discount on the bill. The bill after the discount came to $3900 HKD for twelve people. That's about $505 CAD. One of the best dinners that I've ever had in Hong Kong.

-highlights of dinner.

-delicious prawns and fish

-baked chicken rice.

-black truffles cooked with pork.

-birds nest with fried oysters. Birds nest is a delicacy in Chinese cuisine.
-rich in calcium, and minerals like potassium.

Wikipedia: The Chinese name for bird's nest soup, yn wō (燕窝), translates literally as "swallow's nest". When dissolved in water, the birds' nests have a gelatinous texture used for soup.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #30
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 17,631 Times in 5,339 Posts
Birds nest is one of those things, like sharks fin, that has no culinary value over other food, but is ordered to 'get face' simply because it is really fucken expensive.

I guess you could argue that ostentatiousness is inherently a part of chinese cuisine, but I don't see the value in buying into it.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #31
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,926 Times in 964 Posts
indeed.... and if anyone tried cleaning it with chopsticks for 10 hours straight getting rid of the black residue.. they would understand me

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #32
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

At least no birds are killed from the birds nest
double0seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #33
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Those "pissing prawn/shrimp" in Hong Kong are delicious!
Porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #34

Thanked 1,041 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschedog View Post
Those "pissing prawn/shrimp" in Hong Kong are delicious!
I must've been eating them wrong, because I found them a PITA to eat. Their carapaces are also harder/sharper than regular shrimp, so I passed on seconds
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #35

Yup not a big fan either
Old 02-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #36
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,258 Times in 474 Posts
Damn, couldn't have been a better time to find this thread! I'm heading to HK for a week in May and as you may or may not know I am an avid foodie that LOVES to eat and will eat and try anything at least once!
Will print this page and bookmark it on my phone when I get there!

Also any recommendations for hot pot and seafood restaurants? I was in HK over 10 years ago and my relatives took me to a couple places but my memory is hazy now ... like you buy seafood in the tanks as if you were at T&T but then after you order, you walk THROUGH the kitchen and into a restaurant where they prepare the food!
Also any recommendations for a nice hot pot place?

I am also considering heading over to Macau for a 1 day trip. I will be checking out the "3 Lamps District" for their authentic Burmese noodles and of course the Pork Buns are awesome!... even over a decade ago and I still remember the flavourful buns ...
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #37

Thanked 1,443 Times in 567 Posts
WALK AROUND MONG KOK, im serious u see a bunch of ppl ordering unhealthy street all over mong kok & then once order some u feel like WTF AM I DOING TO MY BODY AS IT TASTE SO GOOD (yes i like curry fish balls, its oily but as a honger/twanger i only live once)

im also a big fan of the fast food chain DAI GA LOK aka cafe de coral, just cuz they have some good bake pork rice

im not too familiar with hk cafes as i just go to any random one i see when im hungry but there is this one hk cafe called 加拿大茶餐厅 (canada hk cafe), it does not have the best food but they do use fresh coffee beans when u order coffee (sorry i dun remember where that is exact beside somewhere in shang wan & no u do not get a discount for being canadian)

here something different u can try which is quite dirty which is wet market food, some wet markets have hk style fast food vendors in top floors of the wet market & its quite dirty but if u can get past that the its ok (everything is in chinese those)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #38
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I went last May with my buddies. We would just walk around and find a random place to eat. I might go back later this year!
GFitTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:09 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Damn, couldn't have been a better time to find this thread! I'm heading to HK for a week in May and as you may or may not know I am an avid foodie that LOVES to eat and will eat and try anything at least once!

Also any recommendations for hot pot and seafood restaurants? I was in HK over 10 years ago and my relatives took me to a couple places but my memory is hazy now ... like you buy seafood in the tanks as if you were at T&T but then after you order, you walk THROUGH the kitchen and into a restaurant where they prepare the food!

I am also considering heading over to Macau for a 1 day trip. I will be checking out the "3 Lamps District" for their authentic Burmese noodles and of course the Pork Buns are awesome!... even over a decade ago and I still remember the flavourful buns ...
For good seafood dinner, check out the Fisherman One recommendation I posted on the previous page.

For hot pot go here, in Kowloon City. It's a tiny little place (they've since opened a supplementary location across the street) and looks ghetto, which is funny when you see Porsches and Ferraris parked in front

Factoid: It's the first restaurant I ever ate at in Hong Kong, 10 years ago almost to the day.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #40
Resident Bullshitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post

Seafood, I only go to Lau Fau Shan near Tin Shui Wai. You could always go to sai kung. Just never order from their set menus and pick the seafood yourself outside.

Hot Pot, for authentic hk style, go to kowloon city. For chain, chubby cow is pretty good. Gotta go early for their crab soup base.

and its almost a must to no.9 for beef brisket, and Mak An Kee for wonton in Central.

Also Tsui Wah for late light.
.Renn.Sport is offline   Reply With Quote