REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 07-21-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
RS controls my life!

Places to Eat in Hong Kong

Hey.. going to hong kong for a few days just to relax..

can anyone tell me where are the best places to eat the following:
- Hong kong style milk tea
- Pineapple bun (bo lo bao(sp?))
- Egg tart
- Dim Sum
- Roast Goose

as well as which places I "must" go to eat
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

imo compare to what we have here, they all taste fucking awesome no matter how you go in HK ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Banned (BBM)

true that

cant beat the authentic deals
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Since I just helped out a friend with some suggestions, I can just past them here:

For Char Siu and Siu Yok go to Fu Wah Roasted Restaurant in Mong Kok (google map link: http://bit.ly/92cjdh ) It's closer to the Mong Kok East station, which is KCR, not MTR (zoom out of hte map to see). I go there all the time for Char Siu. Order the 'lai pai' house special, and you'll get a huge serving with peanuts instead of rice (it's on the ghetto side of things )

They have siu ngor too, but this place is famous for their siu ngor: Chan Kee Restaurant (google map link: http://bit.ly/aAuQpW ) it is right by Langham Place (Mong Kok MTR exit E1, walk straight) and has great roasted goose. They have everything else too of course, but I prefer the above restaurant for chai siu (for price, serving size, quality, and the fact they can serve it with peanuts instead of rice

For chilli crab, I'd have to look that up. I'm pretty sure the 'famous' places are in Causeway Bay on the island.

For Dim Sum, if you want good quality and good variety, I'd go for Lei Garden. They have several locations. The closest to you would be (of course) Mong Kok: (google map: http://bit.ly/aVipjj )

For Cha Chan Teng there are tons of places. But if you're only going to be able to go one, at least hit up Tsui Wah. They have excellent baked dishes, and good curry too. They are 'famous' for their fish soup apparently, but I don't eat noodles so I am not much of an authority on that. There is a brand new one in Mong Kok, right across from Langham Place. They have several other locations too, all over hong kong. Check out there site: http://bit.ly/9bnmjb
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #5

And for your other suggestions

For milk tea (and JUST milk tea) they serve excellent milk tea at Tai Hing. They are everywhere too http://www.taihingroast.com/eng/branch.php They also sell canned milk tea (found at some Park n shop locations and Taste) which are the best canned milk tea you'll find, but of course not as good as fresh.

They also serve roast meat (siu mei) but I gave 2 suggestions already of places that do it better.

Also there is a noodle chain called "Super Super" that has very good milk tea.

The best pineapple buns hands-down are at a place with no English name. I'll give you the Openrice link so you can look it up. http://www.openrice.com/english/rest...m?shopid=11293

Also, Hong Lin just down the street has great fresh buns, including bolo bau. I really like their curry too. Everything else is just 'meh'. Look for it here.

You can read some of my OpenRice reviews here. Not all the places I review are good though, keep that in mind
This post thanked by:
Old 07-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Since I just helped out a friend with some suggestions, I can just past them here:

For Char Siu and Siu Yok go to Fu Wah Roasted Restaurant in Mong Kok (google map link: http://bit.ly/92cjdh ) It's closer to the Mong Kok East station, which is KCR, not MTR (zoom out of hte map to see). I go there all the time for Char Siu. Order the 'lai pai' house special, and you'll get a huge serving with peanuts instead of rice (it's on the ghetto side of things )

They have siu ngor too, but this place is famous for their siu ngor: Chan Kee Restaurant (google map link: http://bit.ly/aAuQpW ) it is right by Langham Place (Mong Kok MTR exit E1, walk straight) and has great roasted goose. They have everything else too of course, but I prefer the above restaurant for chai siu (for price, serving size, quality, and the fact they can serve it with peanuts instead of rice

For chilli crab, I'd have to look that up. I'm pretty sure the 'famous' places are in Causeway Bay on the island.

For Dim Sum, if you want good quality and good variety, I'd go for Lei Garden. They have several locations. The closest to you would be (of course) Mong Kok: (google map: http://bit.ly/aVipjj )

For Cha Chan Teng there are tons of places. But if you're only going to be able to go one, at least hit up Tsui Wah. They have excellent baked dishes, and good curry too. They are 'famous' for their fish soup apparently, but I don't eat noodles so I am not much of an authority on that. There is a brand new one in Mong Kok, right across from Langham Place. They have several other locations too, all over hong kong. Check out there site: http://bit.ly/9bnmjb
Quote:
And for your other suggestions

For milk tea (and JUST milk tea) they serve excellent milk tea at Tai Hing. They are everywhere too http://www.taihingroast.com/eng/branch.php They also sell canned milk tea (found at some Park n shop locations and Taste) which are the best canned milk tea you'll find, but of course not as good as fresh.

They also serve roast meat (siu mei) but I gave 2 suggestions already of places that do it better.

Also there is a noodle chain called "Super Super" that has very good milk tea.

The best pineapple buns hands-down are at a place with no English name. I'll give you the Openrice link so you can look it up. http://www.openrice.com/english/rest...m?shopid=11293

Also, Hong Lin just down the street has great fresh buns, including bolo bau. I really like their curry too. Everything else is just 'meh'. Look for it here.

You can read some of my OpenRice reviews here. Not all the places I review are good though, keep that in mind
Sometimes I forget that SkinnyPupp is white.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 AM   #7

Eating is pretty much all I do here
Old 07-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
For dimsum, I went to some ghetto place in MongKok. Place is well known and there is always a lineup to eat since the place only seats about 30 people. Last time I went, we got there at 8:30 am to get the 4th person in line. By the time we were done, the lineup was down the street and they said on weekends the lineup goes around the block.

DOn't know the english name but the addy is 2-20 Kwong Wa St. Mongkok, Kowloon.
English name is Tim Ho Wan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing

Last edited by SumAznGuy; 07-22-2010 at 10:11 AM.
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
For dimsum, I went to some ghetto place in MongKok. Place is well known and there is always a lineup to eat since the place only seats about 30 people. Last time I went, we got there at 8:30 am to get the 4th person in line. By the time we were done, the lineup was down the street and they said on weekends the lineup goes around the block.

DOn't know the english name but the addy is 2-20 Kwong Wa St. Mongkok, Kowloon.
Yes that is the most hyped restaurant of the year so far. Haven't been there yet though, I try to avoid hyped places as much as possible, because it's almost always not worth the hassle of huge crowds, long lineups, and shitty service.

You're referring to this place.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Yes that is the most hyped restaurant of the year so far. Haven't been there yet though, I try to avoid hyped places as much as possible, because it's almost always not worth the hassle of huge crowds, long lineups, and shitty service.

You're referring to this place.
Our hotel was down the street so we didn't mind the wait. Food was cheap.
Definately hugely hyped by reviews.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

SkinnyPupp is WHITE?

do you speak chinese? it seems like you know enough to navigate so many places.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:52 PM   #12

All I know is how to order food
Old 07-23-2010, 02:11 AM   #13
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Glossary for my White friends:

Char Siu = BBQ Pork (red and juicy)

Siu Yok = Roast Pork (crispy skin, lighter meat, tastes like 5 spice powder)

Lai Pai = a la carte. Just the entree, without the sides like carbs (rice) and veggies (choy sum).

Siu Mei = preserved meats such as "lap cheung", "lap yuk" and "lap kngap", the crappy western equivalent would be pepperoni, prosciutto and bacon.

Dim Sum = I'm not translating this for you. If you don't know what this is, then and get back on the Mayflower back to europe.

As for the "siu kngor", you can try out Yung Kee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yung_Kee) this place has a very long history, the goose I had was quite memorable, but not amazing.
On the other hand the "siu mei" blew me away. I don't even like (yun cheung" (liver sausage), but theirs were amazing. So moist and balanced in flavor, saltiness and sweetness.

I recently did a macau/hk/beijing vactions.
I suggest you hit up macau if you've got enough time.
The place that invented the Portuguese egg tart (http://www.lordstow.com/) was the only MUST-eat-at destination in my entire trip. There is nothing even CLOSE to it in vancouver. Every other food place would have vancouver equivilant (if a couple notches lower).
Also, Macau has a place called "hak sa" (black sands), they have a bunch of bbq shacks in a row on the beach.
Best Eggplant and BBQ Squid I've ever had in my life.
(I think it's the 3rd shack from the right?).

If you are planning on extending on a longer vacation, I strongly recommend making the trek out to macau, if only for the food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPup
All I know is how to order food
veeeery interesting, you and I should talk.
If I make another stop there, may I ask for a meet up?
Cause if I had my way, I'd live with vancouver weather (read: humidity), fresh air and scenery, but eat HK quality food all the time.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #14
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

You also gotta hit up the fish ball noodle in soup! there’s a place i went to all the time for lunch or mid afternoon snack. The place is kinda clean and everything is in black decor, its also pretty much everywhere especially mong kok area(pretty large chain), the translation is hong kong jai yu dan, place is pretty dope!

Also I remember on nathan road somewhere they have authentic Portuguese egg tarts for 6HKD each, from my opinion these kill the regular style ones!!! its a cha chang teng, called something macau restaurant.
MASTER_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #15
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I dont understand, with all the good food in HK, how do the locals fight temptation and dont pig out? I gained about 10 pounds when I was in HK for 3 weeks (130lbs -> 140lbs)
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #16
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

if you want steak, go to lawry's

best steak ever...so hungry now
.Dream.Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #17
Director of RS Cares

Lei garden is great for pricier items too (ie.abalone). And has THE BEST pig lung soup. It may sound gross but sooo fricken good!
Posted via RS Mobile
miss_crayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

I'll be in HK with friends July31-Aug 4th.

If anyone is there during that time and would like to meet up/take us out/party... send me a PM, I'll give you contact details.
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #19
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Australian Milk Company for breakfast is awesome. Love their eggs.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...ng_Region.html
Azrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrai View Post
Australian Milk Company for breakfast is awesome. Love their eggs.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...ng_Region.html
Totally disagree
Old 08-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #21
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Totally disagree
Curious, why?
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiSix View Post
Curious, why?
Because you have to put up with a lot of bullshit for some eggs and toast and macaroni soup.

-The place is usually packed, so you will usually have to line up outside first
-They will seat 6 strangers together at a table for 4
-The waiters are constantly screaming all the time.
-As soon as you finish, you are rushed out the door, they bring people in from the line before the next table is even finished eating
-It is so packed, if you are not sitting against a wall, you will be constantly run into by the waiters running around the restaurant
-The food isn't even that good. Want to make good scrambled eggs? Want to know their secret: add lots of oil. Try it, it works, and is tasty. Their milk pudding isn't so great either.
-The prices are high too.

Basically it's your typical Hong Kong overhyped restaurant, where the people running the place seem to want to find out how far they can go with shitty service just to watch the diners squirm and go "oh this is how it's done in Hong Kong". It's not. This is how it's done in these stupid overhyped places.

If you want to have really good HK cafe food, there are literally hundreds of places that have better food, better service, and better prices.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #23
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

bumping this up. I'm heading there in May-June, want to try something new every day!

Are all these places still there? Are they still the best/any thing better?

I'm also looking for desserts and late night snacks. Is there any version of UrbanSpoon for HK???

*edit just read through and found openrice, exactly what I'm looking for.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #24
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
i tried the austrailian milk egg place half a year ago. It feels like a "go once in my life sort of thing"

It is packed, the line up is retarded..... u sit with another couple or other people with a smalllllll assssssss table.... Cramped as fuck with the restaurant so small and only the eggs were "ALRIGHT" everything else, Vancouver/Richmond has better food than this small restaurant.

So i agree with what skinny said abou this place.

I really loved Din Tai Fung in the shopping mall down at causeway bay. After trying out seattle's shitty mexican franchise version.... it isn't even the same!! The Xiao long bao quality was so juicy... i just bounced the juice inside with my chopsticks mid air up and down and it would NEVER break and the peanut butter nooodles

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #25

Been going to Wan Chai a bit recently, so I have been eating there a lot:

Best char siu I've ever had. They are also one of the few places that still serve siu ngap instead of siu ngor... The duck was merely okay when I tried it though. I guess I prefer goose.

Speaking of which, this is where I go for siu ngor all the time (in Prince Edward). They also have really good siu yok, but I don't like their char siu very much. Their french toast is really good. They have several locations, so do a search.

Awesome HK style fast food curry. They are only open during business hours though. For $60 HKD you get 2 huge pork chops and delicious creamy curry.

For Japanese style curry, Go Go Curry is my favourite. They have two locations in CWB, right down the road from each other. This one is the Japanese style with stools - eat and run, and this one is where you go to sit down to eat. Tastes just like the Japanese restaurants.

For awesome HK style 'food market' food, go to this place in CWB at the CWB public market. When you get to the market, make sure you go to the stall with the pink table cloths. Many others will try to get you to sit at their places, but this one is the best one there IMO. Good prices too.

And for good old classic cha chan teng, head to Kai Kee in MK. They have two locations right beside each other.. it's a working class place, so prices are still good. All the workers in the area eat there, so it gets really noisy. There is also Tsui Wah, but they have turned into a tourist joint (china tourists) and prices have gone way up while food quality hasn't. Also good: Hong Lin. Their fresh buns are better than Kai Kee's, and their beef brisket curry is the best I've had in HK.

My must-go recommendation: And if you want to splurge on some amazing cantonese seafood, but avoid the chains, go to Fisherman One in CWB. Pricey but AMAZING. The pig lung soup in almond broth is to die for. It is not hyped, but is probably becoming more and more famous by word of mouth.

And for some authentic thai food, our favourite place is Tai Fat in Kowloon City. Well it's pretty authentic - the spiciness has been lowered to suit HK palates, so you won't end up with blisters on your tongue like you might in Thailand. Their original location is a hole in the wall kind of place, but they just opened a nice big roomy location that you can see from the highway. It's not listed on Open Rice, but it's just around the corner. I think the old one is still open, and if they are full they will send you to the new one.
This post thanked by: