REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Failure to display N sign case (https://www.revscene.net/forums/620795-failure-display-n-sign-case.html)

Gee.Tee.Ar 07-26-2010 08:32 PM

Failure to display N sign case

1 Attachment(s)
I recently got pulled over and ticketed for not displaying N sign under 30.13. I was wondering if I have a case if I dispute as my N sign was lying at the back of the car. The pic attached is not my car but its what it would normally look like. Anyone else been in same situation before? I got pulled over because my insurance sticker was on my front plate instead of back not because of any driving infraction. I have my class 5 now and that's the only ticket I have ever gotten. Also, is there a fine for having the insurance sticker on wrong plate? The cop said he will let me off on that one.. but gave me N ticket instead. It was a mistake as I just had my plates changed a few days prior to the incident.

sho_bc 07-26-2010 09:20 PM

If you're sitting in a car behind your own, is the N sign clearly visible? Usually if its laying down on the rear package tray, its as if its not even there to anyone behind you. If a corner is stuck in between a 3rd brake light and the glass and the rest has flopped over, its the same thing. The full official New Driver sign must be clearly displayed.

Gee.Tee.Ar 07-26-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 7044696)
If you're sitting in a car behind your own, is the N sign clearly visible? Usually if its laying down on the rear package tray, its as if its not even there to anyone behind you. If a corner is stuck in between a 3rd brake light and the glass and the rest has flopped over, its the same thing. The full official New Driver sign must be clearly displayed.

well.. depends what car.. if its a SUV or something then its visible. sports car.. probably not. the rule doesn't say visible from what angle...

sho_bc 07-26-2010 09:39 PM

If its not visible in one, wouldn't you think that it then should be? If I'm approximately 20ft back, whether in an SUV or a car, it must be clearly visible. Generally though, if I haven't had a cause to look for one, I won't (unless you look REALLY young). I tend to not ticket people who aren't driving a vehicle that is either unsafe, and not driving in a manner which isn't safe.

Gee.Tee.Ar 07-26-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 7044728)
If its not visible in one, wouldn't you think that it then should be? If I'm approximately 20ft back, whether in an SUV or a car, it must be clearly visible. Generally though, if I haven't had a cause to look for one, I won't (unless you look REALLY young). I tend to not ticket people who aren't driving a vehicle that is either unsafe, and not driving in a manner which isn't safe.

yeh i was only pulled over cause i recently switched plates and had the insurance sticker in the front rather than back. then the officer noticed the N. thats my only ticket and i have class 5 now no more of that N bs.

Culverin 07-26-2010 10:25 PM

1. Do I need to display an "N" sign on my scooter?
  2. If I got my motorcycle license, does that mean I don't need to ride with an "N"? Nobody else does?
I've tried asking ICBC, but they keep giving me different answers.
I haven't been able to get anything in writing from them.

zulutango 07-27-2010 06:03 AM

Read the restrictions on your DL..."must clearly display new driver sign"...means just that...lying on the back deck, not visible until the Police stop your car and walk to theback window is not clearly displayed. As far as the motorcycle N goes...read the restrictions printed on your DL and do what they say...just because none of your riding buddies with Ns don't display them as required by their restrictions, does not make it legal. You are looking at a VT and also possibly 2 points if they charge you for violating your restrictions. Just do what it says..simple enough?

1exotic 07-29-2010 08:57 PM

I got the exact same ticket today...

The thing is I had my N sign on, but it must of been stolen becuase when he pulled me over it wasn't there.

If I dispute this will I win?

sho_bc 07-29-2010 09:04 PM

Highly unlikely.
Posted via RS Mobile

ruthless 07-29-2010 09:58 PM

it is your duty to check that it is still there before you begin to drive off...unless someone stole it at a red light or it fell off while driving :wiggle:

sebberry 07-29-2010 11:00 PM

A few days ago I saw an "N" sign in the middle of the road coming up to an intersection. Looks like it may have fallen off the car it was on.

I feel sorry for the poor law abiding new driver who has to try to convince the officer that it fell off.

zulutango 07-30-2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1exotic (Post 7048882)

The thing is I had my N sign on, but it must of been stolen becuase when he pulled me over it wasn't there.

If it was not there, you loose. The law requires you to display it, either it is there or it is NOT there...in your case you told us it was not.

sebberry 07-30-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7049295)
If it was not there, you loose. The law requires you to display it, either it is there or it is NOT there...in your case you told us it was not.

So if it falls off the car mid-block and the driver has no reasonable way to determine this so he/she can safely pull over and put up a spare..

If you stopped an N driver who didn't have the N displayed, would you allow the person to put up their spare without a ticket?

skidmark 07-30-2010 12:17 PM

Odd, but when I click the link for the graphic in the OP, it tells me that I don't have sufficient permission to look at the file...

zulutango 07-30-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7049523)
So if it falls off the car mid-block and the driver has no reasonable way to determine this so he/she can safely pull over and put up a spare..

If you stopped an N driver who didn't have the N displayed, would you allow the person to put up their spare without a ticket?

Depends on the circumstances...we get lied to all the time about missing "N 's and therer would have to be a very convincing story told to not get a tciket. If I check your record and find a previous VT for this charge then I would definitley issue you a VT and see if you could convince the Traffic Court JP with your story.

BallPeenHammer2 07-31-2010 08:12 AM

i find most cars with no N's drive more recklessly with cars with N's.

netfreak 08-01-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 (Post 7050429)
i find most cars with no N's drive more recklessly with cars with N's.

I used to think the same thing but the last 5 or so dangerous highway drivers I witnessed who will probably crash within the year, I think 4 were N's.

mkchoi0801 08-01-2010 10:51 PM

The whole N thing is a joke. It's just hindsight bias that you think N drivers are dangerous. I find most N drivers don't make that extra move to cut in front of you, while those that think they have experience think it's ok to cut ppl off dangerously.

CRS 08-01-2010 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkchoi0801 (Post 7052089)
The whole N thing is a joke. It's just hindsight bias that you think N drivers are dangerous. I find most N drivers don't make that extra move to cut in front of you, while those that think they have experience think it's ok to cut ppl off dangerously.

And how is it that you can tell the difference between an 'N' driver and an 'experienced' one?

By a lack of 'N' Sign? Their age?

Or maybe is it because those who obey the rules and put up their 'N' sign are also ones who obey the rules of the road and don't cut you off?

BallPeenHammer2 08-02-2010 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 7052179)
And how is it that you can tell the difference between an 'N' driver and an 'experienced' one?

By a lack of 'N' Sign? Their age?

Or maybe is it because those who obey the rules and put up their 'N' sign are also ones who obey the rules of the road and don't cut you off?

I live by marine and victoria and work in North Van.

I say most are non N's because most reckless drivers I see are higher aged drivers. People rushing to pick up their kids, go to meetings, or just generally lack due care when they're driving.

[QUOTE]I used to think the same thing but the last 5 or so dangerous highway drivers I witnessed who will probably crash within the year, I think 4 were N'sQUOTE]

That's just the highway, I drive from one part of the city to a very different part. Again, most drivers I see are older. It's less the rice rockets nowadays than the guys in trucks and SUV's. Just back on saturday, I was cut off by a guy in a 1 ton moving truck at the #1 hwy, the 70kph area right before going up the cut. I'd say he was probably doing at least 120, swerving in and out of traffic with no signals. The week prior it was nissan Frontier and a Toyota Highlander battling it out around the same area, at I would say approx 140+, cutting each other off and brake checking. The Highlander cut in SO close, that he was probably about 2 feet in front and behind other vehicles. Just stupid. Absolutely stupid.

Gee.Tee.Ar 08-02-2010 12:56 PM

soo... should I dispute or not... only have a few days left to decide.

sho_bc 08-02-2010 01:35 PM

I would save your time and $25 and pay the ticket within the 30 days. Its a hard case to win if you dispute.

ecchiecchi 08-02-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1exotic (Post 7048882)

No- Hang the N-sign on the rear windshield of your car and stop making excuses.

1exotic 08-02-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecchiecchi (Post 7052703)
No- Hang the N-sign on the rear windshield of your car and stop making excuses.

cool.

it's only a lousy $84 pennies, already paid it.

minimebang 08-24-2010 11:36 AM

alot of N sign drivers are better than those class 5 ones. why? Alot of ppl just sat there and wait for their licenses instead of driving everyday. You spend more time on the road you get pull over more and eventually your license will get suspended and have to start all over again from an N fuking sign. Dont determine ppl's driving skills by looking at their "sign".