REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Should i dispute?

I just got pulled over for running a yellow, I admit when I passed it was yellow but , it wasn't late in the yellow. The officer said why did u go on a yellow, I paniced and said because I was going to be late to take one of the kids to mma, then he was mad because I had to little kids in the car. I didn't say what was on my mind but he told me , " you ran a yellow, revving ur engine and I have no remorse for that." I didn't say anything. But I believe, I went on the yellow, with kids in the car, no I didn't rev my engine, or was speeding, I should of jusyt told him I didn't see the light but now he believes he is right, should I dispute? He told me he is a traffic cop and will show up in court so, what do u think?
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Ranterok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
what was the ticket for...
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Running a yellow.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Yellow is yellow, there is no early yellow or late yellow.

Dispute and hope court is backlogged. If you entered the intersection after the light turned yellow and showed no signs of trying to stop then you deserve the ticket.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

well if you couldnt stop in time then you can't stop in time right? well lets see it this way if you were driving 55 and if just turn yellow and u hit the brakes yours kids will be in danger right? so i think you should talk to him and tell him that u were going 55 and you know u ran the yellow light but i can't stop in time , and if i did i think my kids will be in danger if i stopped that quick.
Panda604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post

Dispute and hope court is backlogged. If you entered the intersection after the light turned yellow and showed no signs of trying to stop then you deserve the ticket.
If you are trying to stop, then why would he have run the yellow. That means he would have slowed down, and traveled through the intersection at a speed much lower than what he was travelling at, therefore being in the intersection for a longer time, possibly also running red.
From what I know, if you are SURE you are not going to stop in time, you are allowed to continue through the yellow at your current speed (not speeding up and trying to beat the light like many do)
Strzelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #7

I didn't know running a yellow was ticketable....

how do they draw the line from being able to stop in time or clear the intersection.....
Old 08-09-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
I didn't know running a yellow was ticketable....

how do they draw the line from being able to stop in time or clear the intersection.....
yes its ticketable now, it was on the news 1 month ago
they just draw the line by seeing people speed up pass the yellow light
Old 08-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #9

learn something new everyday.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Last edited by Panda604; 08-09-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
Banned (ABWS)

We'll I had to idea it was ticketable, I honestly looked at the middle of the intersection, saw it was yellow, so I hit the gas to make sure it doesn't go red with me in it, but its his word against mine so I don't know what I'm suppose to do.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
Rs has made me the man i am today!

You will lose, based on what you've said here. You may as well dispute the fine amount rather than the offence.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #13
I AM

Thanked 1,329 Times in 294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strzelec View Post
If you are trying to stop, then why would he have run the yellow. That means he would have slowed down, and traveled through the intersection at a speed much lower than what he was travelling at, therefore being in the intersection for a longer time, possibly also running red.
From what I know, if you are SURE you are not going to stop in time, you are allowed to continue through the yellow at your current speed (not speeding up and trying to beat the light like many do)
this my friend, is the point of no return!
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranterok View Post
I just got pulled over for running a yellow, I admit when I passed it was yellow but
But what? You ran the yellow, and got a ticket for it.

What are you disputing? The allegation? Or the fine?

You and the cop (and all of us too) know you did it.. so disputing the allegation is a waste of the courts time (stop being a wuss and take responsibility for your actions! Or get off the roads!).
Old 08-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #15
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
I'm sure none of us drive at 50.
People are mostly doing 55-60.

Anyways...
The light turns yellow, and you are the point of no return.
Isn't it safer to speed up to (or maintain) your 55-60 instead of put-putting along at 50?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

^ that's what I thought, if I'm in a intersection and I notice its yellow, I obviously hit the gas.not slamm the breaks.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-10-2010, 12:28 AM   #17
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post

Anyways...
Isn't it safer to speed up to (or maintain) your 55-60 instead of put-putting along at 50?
Logically, yes that makes sense. But not to our law makers apparently.
I'm not a huge fan of how our traffic laws work + driver licensing.
Strzelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #18
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:

Anyways...
I am dumbfounded why anyone ever makes this argument. If I'm going at 55-60 and I get a ticket, I'm not going to whine about getting a speeding ticket. Just because everyone else does it and I was the unlucky one to get caught, it doesn't make it any less legal than if I had been the only one doing it.

Quote:
^ that's what I thought, if I'm in a intersection and I notice its yellow, I obviously hit the gas.not slamm the breaks.
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
Logically, yes that makes sense. But not to our law makers apparently.
I'm not a huge fan of how our traffic laws work + driver licensing.
As for your second point about not slamming the breaks, if you're even a remotely decent driver, you would know what a stale green is. Don't tell me you suddenly noticed it turned yellow because it is either a. you're retarded and shouldn't be driving or b. you're a bad driver and should pay more attention.

You should always be conscious about when the light changed to green so that you can make an educated guess on when it will turn yellow. Has it been green for a while? Did you see the light turn green?

If you had only used common sense and the questions above, you wouldn't be in this mess. Stop the "your word vs. his" argument. You clearly went through a yellow and probably accelerated too because of your inexperience/incompetence at driving.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #19
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post

man aren't u a sharp one. pretty sure u deserve a ticket for being dumb
mkchoi0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkchoi0801 View Post
man aren't u a sharp one. pretty sure u deserve a ticket for being dumb
This forum needs a fail button for responses like this.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
If you cannot stop by the time the light turns red you:
1. Are speeding
2. Weren't paying attention and saw the yellow too late

There is no guarantee that even maintain your current speed will get you through the intersection before the light turns red so you should try to stop. The officers that I have spoken to look to see if you made an honest attempt to stop before running the yellow. If you didn't even check your brakes to see if you could stop, then you deserve the ticket.

I understand your point about time spent in the intersection, the better point concerns speed carried through the intersection. If you're going to run the red, going slower allows other vehicles more time to react and minimizes any impact with another vehicle.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Neither. Its safer to slow as much as you can to give yourself and other more time to react to the bad situation you've created.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:23 PM   #23
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
If you're in the intersection before you notice it is yellow then there is a problem with your driving. If it turns yellow while you're in the intersection there is no issue, you're completely within the law to keep going since you entered the intersection while it was green.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #24
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

instead of posting 4 times u could have made an effort to put them in one. so by ur logic u just got 4 fails instead of 1
mkchoi0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #25
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
As for your second point about not slamming the breaks, if you're even a remotely decent driver, you would know what a stale green is. Don't tell me you suddenly noticed it turned yellow because it is either a. you're retarded and shouldn't be driving or b. you're a bad driver and should pay more attention.

You should always be conscious about when the light changed to green so that you can make an educated guess on when it will turn yellow. Has it been green for a while? Did you see the light turn green?
are you suggesting the driver should pay more attention to light turning yellow more than jaywalkers or other surrounding when you hit the intersection? what the hell is the point of having yellow light??
or are you suggesting that every intersection have same length of green light and you should be ready for yellow before hitting intersection?
To make smooth stop minute minute it hits yellow light, you'll have to slow down before hitting intersection to below speed limit. At speed of 50km/h, stopping distance would be about 35m on DRY asphalt. Are you suggesting that every single driver should slow down to 30km/h (stopping distance of 18m) before approaching to every single intersection with traffic light? To me, you sound a lot more retarded than the op.
I can see where "running yellow can be ticketed" argument/law is coming from. We are unfortunate to have too many idiot drivers who think yellow means speed up and make it past intersection. However, that does NOT mean that you can argue that you should be prepared for yellow light even before hitting intersection and stop in time second it hits yellow light.
Seriously WHAT IS THE POINT OF HAVING YELLOW LIGHT???
Isn't yellow light there to warn drivers to be ready for red?

Last edited by zulutango; 08-10-2010 at 02:35 PM.
chinook79 is offline   Reply With Quote