REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Should i dispute? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/621886-should-i-dispute.html)

Ranterok 08-09-2010 03:50 PM

Should i dispute?

I just got pulled over for running a yellow, I admit when I passed it was yellow but , it wasn't late in the yellow. The officer said why did u go on a yellow, I paniced and said because I was going to be late to take one of the kids to mma, then he was mad because I had to little kids in the car. I didn't say what was on my mind but he told me , " you ran a yellow, revving ur engine and I have no remorse for that." I didn't say anything. But I believe, I went on the yellow, with kids in the car, no I didn't rev my engine, or was speeding, I should of jusyt told him I didn't see the light but now he believes he is right, should I dispute? He told me he is a traffic cop and will show up in court so, what do u think?
Posted via RS Mobile

Jgresch 08-09-2010 04:10 PM

what was the ticket for...

Ranterok 08-09-2010 04:41 PM

Running a yellow.
Posted via RS Mobile

taylor192 08-09-2010 06:00 PM

Yellow is yellow, there is no early yellow or late yellow.

Dispute and hope court is backlogged. If you entered the intersection after the light turned yellow and showed no signs of trying to stop then you deserve the ticket.

Panda604 08-09-2010 06:07 PM

well if you couldnt stop in time then you can't stop in time right? well lets see it this way if you were driving 55 and if just turn yellow and u hit the brakes yours kids will be in danger right? so i think you should talk to him and tell him that u were going 55 and you know u ran the yellow light but i can't stop in time , and if i did i think my kids will be in danger if i stopped that quick.

Strzelec 08-09-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7061632)

Dispute and hope court is backlogged. If you entered the intersection after the light turned yellow and showed no signs of trying to stop then you deserve the ticket.

If you are trying to stop, then why would he have run the yellow. That means he would have slowed down, and traveled through the intersection at a speed much lower than what he was travelling at, therefore being in the intersection for a longer time, possibly also running red.
From what I know, if you are SURE you are not going to stop in time, you are allowed to continue through the yellow at your current speed (not speeding up and trying to beat the light like many do)

Jgresch 08-09-2010 06:22 PM

I didn't know running a yellow was ticketable....

how do they draw the line from being able to stop in time or clear the intersection.....

Panda604 08-09-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgresch (Post 7061663)
I didn't know running a yellow was ticketable....

how do they draw the line from being able to stop in time or clear the intersection.....

yes its ticketable now, it was on the news 1 month ago
they just draw the line by seeing people speed up pass the yellow light

Jgresch 08-09-2010 06:29 PM

learn something new everyday.

Panda604 08-09-2010 06:32 PM

Ranterok 08-09-2010 07:24 PM

We'll I had to idea it was ticketable, I honestly looked at the middle of the intersection, saw it was yellow, so I hit the gas to make sure it doesn't go red with me in it, but its his word against mine so I don't know what I'm suppose to do.
Posted via RS Mobile

ninjatune 08-09-2010 09:12 PM

You will lose, based on what you've said here. You may as well dispute the fine amount rather than the offence.

Groot 08-09-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strzelec (Post 7061658)
If you are trying to stop, then why would he have run the yellow. That means he would have slowed down, and traveled through the intersection at a speed much lower than what he was travelling at, therefore being in the intersection for a longer time, possibly also running red.
From what I know, if you are SURE you are not going to stop in time, you are allowed to continue through the yellow at your current speed (not speeding up and trying to beat the light like many do)

this my friend, is the point of no return!

jlenko 08-09-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranterok (Post 7061459)
I just got pulled over for running a yellow, I admit when I passed it was yellow but

But what? You ran the yellow, and got a ticket for it.

What are you disputing? The allegation? Or the fine?

You and the cop (and all of us too) know you did it.. so disputing the allegation is a waste of the courts time (stop being a wuss and take responsibility for your actions! Or get off the roads!).

Culverin 08-09-2010 11:40 PM

I'm sure none of us drive at 50.
People are mostly doing 55-60.

Anyways...
The light turns yellow, and you are the point of no return.
Isn't it safer to speed up to (or maintain) your 55-60 instead of put-putting along at 50?

Ranterok 08-09-2010 11:59 PM

^ that's what I thought, if I'm in a intersection and I notice its yellow, I obviously hit the gas.not slamm the breaks.
Posted via RS Mobile

Strzelec 08-10-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culverin (Post 7062127)

Anyways...
Isn't it safer to speed up to (or maintain) your 55-60 instead of put-putting along at 50?

Logically, yes that makes sense. But not to our law makers apparently.
I'm not a huge fan of how our traffic laws work + driver licensing.

CRS 08-10-2010 12:38 AM

Quote:

Anyways...

I am dumbfounded why anyone ever makes this argument. If I'm going at 55-60 and I get a ticket, I'm not going to whine about getting a speeding ticket. Just because everyone else does it and I was the unlucky one to get caught, it doesn't make it any less legal than if I had been the only one doing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranterok (Post 7062147)
^ that's what I thought, if I'm in a intersection and I notice its yellow, I obviously hit the gas.not slamm the breaks.
Posted via RS Mobile

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strzelec (Post 7062175)
Logically, yes that makes sense. But not to our law makers apparently.
I'm not a huge fan of how our traffic laws work + driver licensing.

As for your second point about not slamming the breaks, if you're even a remotely decent driver, you would know what a stale green is. Don't tell me you suddenly noticed it turned yellow because it is either a. you're retarded and shouldn't be driving or b. you're a bad driver and should pay more attention.

You should always be conscious about when the light changed to green so that you can make an educated guess on when it will turn yellow. Has it been green for a while? Did you see the light turn green?

If you had only used common sense and the questions above, you wouldn't be in this mess. Stop the "your word vs. his" argument. You clearly went through a yellow and probably accelerated too because of your inexperience/incompetence at driving.

mkchoi0801 08-10-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7061632)

man aren't u a sharp one. :thumbsup: pretty sure u deserve a ticket for being dumb

taylor192 08-10-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkchoi0801 (Post 7062564)
man aren't u a sharp one. :thumbsup: pretty sure u deserve a ticket for being dumb

This forum needs a fail button for responses like this.

taylor192 08-10-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strzelec (Post 7061658)

If you cannot stop by the time the light turns red you:
1. Are speeding
2. Weren't paying attention and saw the yellow too late

There is no guarantee that even maintain your current speed will get you through the intersection before the light turns red so you should try to stop. The officers that I have spoken to look to see if you made an honest attempt to stop before running the yellow. If you didn't even check your brakes to see if you could stop, then you deserve the ticket.

I understand your point about time spent in the intersection, the better point concerns speed carried through the intersection. If you're going to run the red, going slower allows other vehicles more time to react and minimizes any impact with another vehicle.

taylor192 08-10-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Neither. Its safer to slow as much as you can to give yourself and other more time to react to the bad situation you've created.

taylor192 08-10-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranterok (Post 7062147)
Posted via RS Mobile

If you're in the intersection before you notice it is yellow then there is a problem with your driving. If it turns yellow while you're in the intersection there is no issue, you're completely within the law to keep going since you entered the intersection while it was green.

mkchoi0801 08-10-2010 01:09 PM

instead of posting 4 times u could have made an effort to put them in one. so by ur logic u just got 4 fails instead of 1

chinook79 08-10-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 7062189)
As for your second point about not slamming the breaks, if you're even a remotely decent driver, you would know what a stale green is. Don't tell me you suddenly noticed it turned yellow because it is either a. you're retarded and shouldn't be driving or b. you're a bad driver and should pay more attention.

You should always be conscious about when the light changed to green so that you can make an educated guess on when it will turn yellow. Has it been green for a while? Did you see the light turn green?

are you suggesting the driver should pay more attention to light turning yellow more than jaywalkers or other surrounding when you hit the intersection? what the hell is the point of having yellow light??
or are you suggesting that every intersection have same length of green light and you should be ready for yellow before hitting intersection?
To make smooth stop minute minute it hits yellow light, you'll have to slow down before hitting intersection to below speed limit. At speed of 50km/h, stopping distance would be about 35m on DRY asphalt. Are you suggesting that every single driver should slow down to 30km/h (stopping distance of 18m) before approaching to every single intersection with traffic light? To me, you sound a lot more retarded than the op.
I can see where "running yellow can be ticketed" argument/law is coming from. We are unfortunate to have too many idiot drivers who think yellow means speed up and make it past intersection. However, that does NOT mean that you can argue that you should be prepared for yellow light even before hitting intersection and stop in time second it hits yellow light.
Seriously WHAT IS THE POINT OF HAVING YELLOW LIGHT???
Isn't yellow light there to warn drivers to be ready for red?