REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #26
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkchoi0801 View Post
instead of posting 4 times u could have made an effort to put them in one. so by ur logic u just got 4 fails instead of 1
Are you really that sad you need to nit-pick how I post rather than what I post?
Advertisement
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #27
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinook79 View Post
are you suggesting the driver should pay more attention to light turning yellow more than jaywalkers or other surrounding when you hit the intersection? what the hell is the point of having yellow light??
or are you suggesting that every intersection have same length of green light and you should be ready for yellow before hitting intersection?
To make smooth stop minute minute it hits yellow light, you'll have to slow down before hitting intersection to below speed limit. At speed of 50km/h, stopping distance would be about 35m on DRY asphalt. Are you suggesting that every single driver should slow down to 30km/h (stopping distance of 18m) before approaching to every single intersection with traffic light? To me, you sound a lot more retarded than the op.
I can see where "running yellow can be ticketed" argument/law is coming from. We are unfortunate to have too many idiot drivers who think yellow means speed up and make it past intersection. However, that does NOT mean that you can argue that you should be prepared for yellow light even before hitting intersection and stop in time second it hits yellow light.
Seriously WHAT IS THE POINT OF HAVING YELLOW LIGHT???
Isn't yellow light there to warn drivers to be ready for red?
He is suggesting you take a defensive driving course.

These courses teach you to cover your brake when approaching an intersection so you can stop if the light changes, and teach you techniques as CRS outlined to determine if the green is about to be yellow.

Now back to your point. The duration of a yellow light is set by the speed of the roadway so approaching cars have time to clear the intersection. Most officers understand this, if you're < 35m from the light and it turns yellow you're going through it. Its the drivers who are 50-100m from the light and make no attempt to stop that get the ticket.

Last edited by zulutango; 08-10-2010 at 03:47 PM.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #28
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Not correct...actual stopping distance will be 23 metres , not 35 metres. Check this website. http://www.racemath.info/motionanden...p_distance.htm
Skilled drivers cover their brake pedals as they approach an intersection in anticipation of maybe having to stop. They also scan for signs like stale crosswalk lights that may show there is a chance they may have to stop.

If you choose to speed as you approach an intersection and accelerate even faster when the yellow appears, you are making the wrong choices. There is a good reason that the majority of crashes happen at intersections. Running a yellow is the same as running a red...unless it changes when you, driving at the speed limit or slower, in bad weather, cannot stop in time because you are too close.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #29
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: White Rock
Posts: 137
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Are you really that sad you need to nit-pick how I post rather than what I post?
it doesn't seem like u have much to say either... i just replied to ur stupid post with an equally stupid comment, don't take it too personal.
mkchoi0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:06 AM   #30
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkchoi0801 View Post
it doesn't seem like u have much to say either... i just replied to ur stupid post with an equally stupid comment, don't take it too personal.
Mods, can you give him an infraction or 2. This section is supposed to be serious, not for ignorant idiots to make stupid comments.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #31
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Greenstoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,647
Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
kind of a thread jack...

i never stop when i see a yellow or red if im going uphill during snowy condition (when its safe to do so)

if i stoppped and waited for the light, my car usually stuck in the middle of road and going nowhere.

any comments from the police for my action ?
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #32
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
jlenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Burnaby, BC
Posts: 3,562
Thanked 330 Times in 163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstoner View Post
i never stop when i see a yellow or red if im going uphill during snowy condition (when its safe to do so)
How about... get some snow tires, and learn to drive.
__________________
Don't be the next RS.net statistic - If you drink, don't drive. You'll lose your licence, and the rest of us will laugh at you.
jlenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #33
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
How about... get some snow tires, and learn to drive.
x2

If you cannot stop and start on an uphill, I'd hate to see you stop on a downhill in the snow.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #34
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
Greenstoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,647
Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
How about... get some snow tires, and learn to drive.
im equipped with snow tires and even if i had to stopped on a light, i try to not let go the gas and just release it slowly


those side streets or smaller roadd are the worse because plow truck get to them last
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #35
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstoner View Post
im equipped with snow tires and even if i had to stopped on a light, i try to not let go the gas and just release it slowly

those side streets or smaller roadd are the worse because plow truck get to them last
It still doesn't change the fact you ran a light. If the conditions are so bad you cannot get going uphill, perhaps you should stay home, you're not going to beable to stop quickly downhill and then won't have a choice to run the light when it is "safe to do so".
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #36
racing & tech mod.
 
Rich Sandor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,027
Thanked 491 Times in 183 Posts
as zulutango said, the ONLY time it's ok to run a yellow, is if you can't stop in time.

If you cannot stop because the light just happened to change then, the police should NOT give you a ticket.

If you had plenty of visual warning, but you chose not to stop, you should get the 'running a yellow light ticket'

If you could not stop because you were speeding, then you should get a speeding ticket.

If you were speeding, AND you had plenty of time to stop (but chose not to) then you should be getting BOTH tickets!!!!!
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #37
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: White Rock
Posts: 137
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Mods, can you give him an infraction or 2. This section is supposed to be serious, not for ignorant idiots to make stupid comments.
haha really? how bout spewing some BS like 'there's no early yellow or late yellow' only to go on that good drivers know when the light is going to turn red. i'm just following along, you're just being dumb.
mkchoi0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #38
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkchoi0801 View Post
haha really? how bout spewing some BS like 'there's no early yellow or late yellow' only to go on that good drivers know when the light is going to turn red. i'm just following along, you're just being dumb.
You're not even following, or you would have read the post by zulutango, an officer if you hadn't figured that out, that says:

Quote:
Running a yellow is the same as running a red
or you might have read CRS explain how to determine if a green is stale and about to change.

Try to keep up kid before you earn a few infractions. You haven't been here very long, and judging by the number of fails, you might not be staying long either.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #39
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: White Rock
Posts: 137
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
OK, so i'll explain, didn't think i had to.

It can't be possible that you're not allowed to run ANY yellow. Even if you're watching out (ie. looking at the pedestrian lights) you're bound to run some yellows, especially on roads that you're not familiar with, or roads with 60+ kph limit. That is an early yellow. A late yellow, you blatantly run because either you're in a hurry or you think it's ok to accelerate. See the difference? I have no clue why you mentioned there's no difference between the 2 yet you support the idea of other comments that oppose your argument. A yellow light is there as a warning, otherwise they'd just have green and red.

BTW, you've failed more than I have... is that how you wanna insult my reputation. It's just a website, chill out.
mkchoi0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #40
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kits/Richmond
Posts: 4,409
Thanked 1,104 Times in 539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkchoi0801 View Post
OK, so i'll explain, didn't think i had to.

It can't be possible that you're not allowed to run ANY yellow. Even if you're watching out (ie. looking at the pedestrian lights) you're bound to run some yellows, especially on roads that you're not familiar with, or roads with 60+ kph limit. That is an early yellow. A late yellow, you blatantly run because either you're in a hurry or you think it's ok to accelerate. See the difference? I have no clue why you mentioned there's no difference between the 2 yet you support the idea of other comments that oppose your argument. A yellow light is there as a warning, otherwise they'd just have green and red.
Oh boy keyboard warrior, if you're going to argue semantics you've picked the wrong member to engage.

Read his original post:
Quote:
I admit when I passed it was yellow but , it wasn't late in the yellow.
He admits running the light cause it was yellow, yet justifies it cause it was not a "late yellow". The argument has never been about someone who cannot stop in time cause the light just turned yellow, it is about people choosing to run the yellow based on how long it has been yellow.

He even goes on to explain how he should have tried to excuse his way out of it:

Quote:
should of jusyt told him I didn't see the light
If you cannot read between the lines, that means he could have stopped yet chose to go through the yellow. Why? cause it was a "late yellow" and his kids were late to MMA class. Duh.

Perhaps if you read and understood the OP's post you wouldn't be trying to argue semantics out of context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkchoi0801 View Post
BTW, you've failed more than I have... is that how you wanna insult my reputation. It's just a website, chill out.
I don't need to insult your reputation, your thanks/fail speaks for itself.

It is a website, yet if you check many of the members actually meet up. You might want to reconsider that keyboard warrior before throwing out random insults.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #41
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: White Rock
Posts: 137
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yah, so OP ran the yellow thinking that it was early enough. My argument still stands, you're excused to run early yellows, but shouldn't obnoxiously run a yellow that's about to turn red. You said there was no difference between the two, and I thought differently.
mkchoi0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net