REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Hockey Stick Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/624112-hockey-stick-thread.html)

skiiipi 10-25-2010 10:44 AM

My biggest concern with bauer is that they don't use true compression molding when making their shafts. They use an air bladder, if you ever broken a one95 or X60 or any previous high end bauer stick you will notice a platic bag like thing hanging off the shaft, this is the bladder that they feed air thru to mold the shaft, this causes their shaft wall thickness to be inconsistant, so their sticks overall are less consistant.

Easton and warrior are the only two brands that uses true compression molding for their shaft, using a steel mandrel, which does not change shape underpressure, if you guys want to compare, pop the butt plug out of a high end easton stick and compare it with a high end bauer, you'll notice that the shaft wall thickness is way more consistant in the easton, this is the main reason why easton is still the number one used OPS in the NHL
Posted via RS Mobile

Spidey 10-25-2010 11:21 AM

too bad easton's blades are crap.. or have they changed that yet? i havent used an easton for years because i just don't trust the durability of their blades.. same with tps.

as for the bladder.. it doesnt bother me too much.... from my experience, i did like easton sticks.. esp back when they first came out, they were wayyyy ahead of the game.. by far the best performing stick out there.. but i cldnt afford to buy a new stick every month... well 2 months.. i would almost always warranty one... so 2 in 2 months..

i love the feel of the one95. and as long as i can still get the p88 in 87 flex frmo SE, it'll be the go to stick for me...

skiiipi 10-25-2010 12:15 PM

Blade wise easton ST has the strongest/stiffest blade on the market, making it the most durable, but does not provide good feel. The worest blade on the market is warrior, they still use a "foam injected" blade which creates hollow spots. Warriors usually break in the blade.

The new EQ50 stick should be interesting, with the adjustable weights and such

But yes overall I would agree that the one95 is an excellent stick.
Posted via RS Mobile

Spidey 10-25-2010 12:33 PM

warrior blades i have had good durability with... at one time they were the most durable i have used.. then the one95 came out.. the x60/totalone blades seem very rigid as well. the st seems strong but damn that stick is a tank...

SumAznGuy 10-25-2010 02:53 PM

I used 4 Macdaddy's and other than one being caught in the glass, they all wore out in the blade. You can tell because everyshot was a knuckle ball. The minute I switch to a new stick, the shots were good again.

I've been playing with 2 one95's for almost half a year now. Lots of snap shots and lots of slap shots. I've been rotating the sticks for each game and so far I am still as happy with them as I was when they were brand new.

I was using an S17 but found it was too stiff for my liking.

Spidey 10-25-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 7159837)
I used 4 Macdaddy's and other than one being caught in the glass, they all wore out in the blade. You can tell because everyshot was a knuckle ball. The minute I switch to a new stick, the shots were good again.

I've been playing with 2 one95's for almost half a year now. Lots of snap shots and lots of slap shots. I've been rotating the sticks for each game and so far I am still as happy with them as I was when they were brand new.

I was using an S17 but found it was too stiff for my liking.

you cant really tell if it was the blade... it could be the shaft losing it's kick and flex point. also, the blade may be the first thing for the macdaddys to go, but does it mean it is not durable? how long did each macdaddy last? if the blade breaks, and the stick lasted for 3-4 months i would still say it lasted a decent amount of time.. the nature of the sport can cause sticks to last anywhere from 1 game to 20 games.. but the important thing is how they break..

but all in all, the bauer one95 is def the most durable stick i have used and it is the best performing one at that... i think that, we all agree on! well most of us.

skiiipi 10-25-2010 08:15 PM

The replacement of the S19 will be a very nice stick.
Don't know what its called, or what it looks like, I've only seen/felt a "demo" version painted fully black.
It still has the torx technology (or at least the ellpitical profile), but a "reengineered" blade and a much nicer balance point. (Not sure if it had the adjustable weight like the eq50) but the stick felt very balanced.
Unfortunately I didn't get to actually play with it as the easton rep didn't let anyone try it....but man he has one hell of a shot with it.
Posted via RS Mobile

Spidey 10-25-2010 09:52 PM

i never knew the se16 had those weights on the heel.. just that the eq50 exposes it..

RiceIntegraRS 10-25-2010 10:36 PM

If only my One95 was a P88 87 Flex i would be using it all the time. But for me the 102 Flex Malkin Curve i have is so hard for me to get good wrist shots off. I only use it now when playing defence. And i let a few guys on my hockey team try some slap shots with my stick and they say the pucks just launches right off.

Spidey 10-26-2010 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS (Post 7160661)
If only my One95 was a P88 87 Flex i would be using it all the time. But for me the 102 Flex Malkin Curve i have is so hard for me to get good wrist shots off. I only use it now when playing defence. And i let a few guys on my hockey team try some slap shots with my stick and they say the pucks just launches right off.

ya the malkin is garbage.. imo.. the p88 is the only bauer stick id use... maybe the backstrom. i used to use the sakic/draper curve all the time but it is one of those curves that once you stop using it, you need to get used to it or everything flies over the glass.. p88 ftw. i wish bauer made a crazy hook like the old warrior smyth/new gionta.

anyone see the craig conroy one95 pro stocks at sports exchange? it is NUTS. im pretty sure it is the ovy pro stock replica. i am tempted to try that out next..

skiiipi 10-26-2010 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7160548)
i never knew the se16 had those weights on the heel.. just that the eq50 exposes it..

Yes thew SE16 was the first easton stick to use FWT (Focus Weight Technology), the weight was placed in two "strips" along the mid portion of the blade, and was "counter balanced" by adding additional material to the upper portion of the shaft. The stick was extremely balanced....untill you cut it, due to the fact the counter balance was determined based on the stick length, to achieve the perfect balance, the stick must be used uncut.

The EQ50 made some updates to the FWT, first the weight are all "visiable" for marketing reasons. The weight on the blade is now moved towards the heel, and the counter balance is not located in the end plug, with adjustable "weight disks". Depending on how short you cut the stick, you remove a set number of weights (printed on the shaft of the stick), to retain the "perfect" balance. It also allows the user to create a "blade light" sensation by cutting the stick, and not removing any of the weights. The weighted end plug can be purchased seperately.
Posted via RS Mobile

Spidey 10-26-2010 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 7160951)
Yes thew SE16 was the first easton stick to use FWT (Focus Weight Technology), the weight was placed in two "strips" along the mid portion of the blade, and was "counter balanced" by adding additional material to the upper portion of the shaft. The stick was extremely balanced....untill you cut it, due to the fact the counter balance was determined based on the stick length, to achieve the perfect balance, the stick must be used uncut.

The EQ50 made some updates to the FWT, first the weight are all "visiable" for marketing reasons. The weight on the blade is now moved towards the heel, and the counter balance is not located in the end plug, with adjustable "weight disks". Depending on how short you cut the stick, you remove a set number of weights (printed on the shaft of the stick), to retain the "perfect" balance. It also allows the user to create a "blade light" sensation by cutting the stick, and not removing any of the weights. The weighted end plug can be purchased seperately.
Posted via RS Mobile

cool. the counterbalance is what makes sticks feel light.. not hte actual total weight.. i am surprised easton was the first to do this.. although, i do like my sticks a tad blade heavy.. the only thing i have with seeing the weights on the balde is that it makes it look like it will shatter. hahaha. btw, has anyone here used the se16? hows the durability.. i kind of want to try out easton again.. but the pro stock lines at SE.. heck i will probably never buy retail again because i dont think it is worth spending more than 150 for any stick.

skiiipi 10-26-2010 06:41 AM

Look for the SE16 to drastically go down in price in the next little while, since the EQ50 is now out.

There are many benifits of buying pro stock, such as price, added features, but there are also downsides, such as the lack of warrenty + unknown modifications. It is very common for sticks to be "painted" for pro use, and it may totally be a differnt stick. I encountered a batch of pro stock XXX-Lites a while back, upon speaking to the Bauer rep, found out they are actually "re-painted" supreme sticks, but was painted XXX-Lite to help promote that stick during its launch.
Posted via RS Mobile

Spidey 10-26-2010 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 7160962)
Look for the SE16 to drastically go down in price in the next little while, since the EQ50 is now out.

There are many benifits of buying pro stock, such as price, added features, but there are also downsides, such as the lack of warrenty + unknown modifications. It is very common for sticks to be "painted" for pro use, and it may totally be a differnt stick. I encountered a batch of pro stock XXX-Lites a while back, upon speaking to the Bauer rep, found out they are actually "re-painted" supreme sticks, but was painted XXX-Lite to help promote that stick during its launch.
Posted via RS Mobile

yup, totally aware of it.. the one thing you can look at it the weave of the carbon.. a lot of the one95s were painted x60s and vice versa. the xxx lites are a great example of repainted one90s etc. you have to know what you are looking for. but from my experience, the pro stocks last longer. some people say they break easier, but imo, why would they give pros sticks that will break easier, especially when every game counts for something.. and where the level is much higher...

skiiipi 10-26-2010 08:08 AM

Yes, best way to tell is the shaft profile as supreme and vapor uses different shaft profile.

Prostocks are usually "made better" with new technology. Ie S17 prostock is identical to S19 retail stock, they tested the S19 first as a S17 for the pros.
In easton's case, all pro stock are made in Mexico, all non pro stock are made in China. So if you buy a easton pro stock from the states and brings it over, its duty free due to the NAFTA.
Posted via RS Mobile

Spidey 10-26-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 7161022)
Yes, best way to tell is the shaft profile as supreme and vapor uses different shaft profile.

Prostocks are usually "made better" with new technology. Ie S17 prostock is identical to S19 retail stock, they tested the S19 first as a S17 for the pros.
In easton's case, all pro stock are made in Mexico, all non pro stock are made in China. So if you buy a easton pro stock from the states and brings it over, its duty free due to the NAFTA.
Posted via RS Mobile

good to know! i remember when eastons were made in mexico, intiially.

but yea the bauers are easy to tell...

btw where do all you guys play? dropin/leagues

i am in ashl div 2 bby currently.

Jgresch 10-26-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 7161022)

Posted via RS Mobile

So my S19 prostock is really like an S21 retail :p

skiiipi 10-26-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgresch (Post 7161213)
So my S19 prostock is really like an S21 retail :p

I'll be sure to ask that question when I go to next year's trade show
Posted via RS Mobile

Spidey 10-26-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 7159492)
My biggest concern with bauer is that they don't use true compression molding when making their shafts. They use an air bladder, if you ever broken a one95 or X60 or any previous high end bauer stick you will notice a platic bag like thing hanging off the shaft, this is the bladder that they feed air thru to mold the shaft, this causes their shaft wall thickness to be inconsistant, so their sticks overall are less consistant.

Easton and warrior are the only two brands that uses true compression molding for their shaft, using a steel mandrel, which does not change shape underpressure, if you guys want to compare, pop the butt plug out of a high end easton stick and compare it with a high end bauer, you'll notice that the shaft wall thickness is way more consistant in the easton, this is the main reason why easton is still the number one used OPS in the NHL
Posted via RS Mobile

btw, when i read your claim about easton being the most used stick in the nhl, i didnt really believe it. i knew at one point, they were big.. but lately i have seen a lot of bauer sticks.. even with the canucks game today, their stick rack in the hallway is littered with bauer.

skiiipi 10-26-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7161847)
btw, when i read your claim about easton being the most used stick in the nhl, i didnt really believe it. i knew at one point, they were big.. but lately i have seen a lot of bauer sticks.. even with the canucks game today, their stick rack in the hallway is littered with bauer.

As of the end of last season, easton is still the biggest. Easton and Bauer rep both confirm that. Easton is No1 in stick, Rbk/ccm is no 1 in protective, Bauer is no 1 in skates
Posted via RS Mobile

Spidey 10-26-2010 08:13 PM

i think it will change after this year.

skiiipi 10-26-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7161905)
i think it will change after this year.

Yea it will be interesting to see next year. Again, I'll see what the reps say at next year's trade show
Posted via RS Mobile

Wilso09 10-26-2010 09:23 PM

Anyone use TPS sticks? More specifically the R8?
For the past year or so that's all I've been using. Bought 3 of them off eBay for a pretty good deal and now I'm on my last one and feel it starting to give out on me.
Tried some dolomites, an x60, one95, synergy SL's and some other random sticks here and there and nothing feels as "right" as the R8 for me.

But i have been rotating between a x60 and an one95 recently and I'm growing to like the one95 a lot more then the x60.
Posted via RS Mobile

6thGear. 10-27-2010 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skiiipi (Post 7161911)
Yea it will be interesting to see next year. Again, I'll see what the reps say at next year's trade show
Posted via RS Mobile

Where do you work? Your info seems pretty good

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilso09 (Post 7162045)
Anyone use TPS sticks? More specifically the R8?
For the past year or so that's all I've been using. Bought 3 of them off eBay for a pretty good deal and now I'm on my last one and feel it starting to give out on me.
Tried some dolomites, an x60, one95, synergy SL's and some other random sticks here and there and nothing feels as "right" as the R8 for me.

But i have been rotating between a x60 and an one95 recently and I'm growing to like the one95 a lot more then the x60.
Posted via RS Mobile

I do! I have 2 R8 Armour shafts. They are the most suitable flex sr shafts for me. Everything else seems too stiff. Sucks, cause one of them seems to have lost the kick point and the other one which I barely used got slashed last game and seems like it's already cracking....

Spidey 10-27-2010 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6thGear. (Post 7162308)
Where do you work? Your info seems pretty good

I do! I have 2 R8 Armour shafts. They are the most suitable flex sr shafts for me. Everything else seems too stiff. Sucks, cause one of them seems to have lost the kick point and the other one which I barely used got slashed last game and seems like it's already cracking....

one95 are overrated in their flex system.. so if yu like a shaft that is a tad whippier, even in adult flexes, try that to get used to the one95.. also the s17s are overrated in flex as well. or you can just try to scrounge a bunch of tps shafts or ops's from places like hockey monkey..

i know sports exchange has a few pro stocks you can give a try