REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Disputed ticked for cell phonewhile driving and won? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/624149-disputed-ticked-cell-phonewhile-driving-won.html)

Death2Theft 09-06-2010 04:46 PM

Disputed ticked for cell phonewhile driving and won?

Has anyone succesfully disputed a ticket they got for using a "electronic device" while driving? Not for talking?

Lomac 09-06-2010 04:48 PM

Er... what's your defence going to be, exactly?

Death2Theft 09-06-2010 05:15 PM

I had just finished making a call on my blueant speaker phone we were at a red light so i was holding my phone expecting to hit the end button, when the other person finished which was about 5-6 seconds from when he rolled up beside me. I hit end put the phone down and he waited till the ligth changed to green before pulling me over.

Jgresch 09-06-2010 05:17 PM

You can't operate a cell phone while driving. What counts as operating a cell phone?
Probably holding the device and pressing a button on it ;) just pay the ticket and buy a handsfree.

mb_ 09-06-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgresch (Post 7094317)
You can't operate a cell phone while driving. What counts as operating a cell phone?
Probably holding the device and pressing a button on it ;) just pay the ticket and buy a handsfree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death2Theft (Post 7094315)
I had just finished making a call on my blueant speaker phone we were at a red light so i was holding my phone expecting to hit the end button, when the other person finished which was about 5-6 seconds from when he rolled up beside me. I hit end put the phone down and he waited till the ligth changed to green before pulling me over.

FerrariEnzo 09-06-2010 05:20 PM

doest matter if your pressing the END call button or looking at it.. you were still using it while operating your car and the cop caught you red handed...

Jgresch 09-06-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death2Theft (Post 7094315)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgresch (Post 7094317)

dont be a smartass. By handsfree I meant something you don't need to use your hands with! like a blue tooth where the end call button is on the peice, or voice activated

falcon 09-06-2010 05:24 PM

I got nabbed by a copper hiding in one of those stuffed animal things people dance around on the side of the road.

I'm disputing and since the guy who saw me nd the one who wrote the ticket, well see if they don't show.

Got nothing to loose since it's not a point ticket.

Lomac 09-06-2010 05:25 PM

If it's the S1 like mine, there actually is an end call button on the device...

DC5-S 09-06-2010 06:09 PM

I saw a cop talking on his cell the other day while driving...
Posted via RS Mobile

604Sparda 09-06-2010 06:14 PM

^ did you give him a ticket?

ruthless 09-06-2010 06:17 PM

LOL police officers are exempt from this law.

1exotic 09-06-2010 06:17 PM

cops use radio's, the are irresponsible dangerous drivers, right?

JiggaZed 09-06-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthless (Post 7094392)
LOL police officers are exempt from the law.

/fixed

TOS'd 09-06-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1exotic (Post 7094394)
cops use radio's, the are irresponsible dangerous drivers, right?

Apparently those like construction ppl or contractors that use two way radio things to communication to HQ, those radios are exempt from the cellphone/electronic law too. Or so I've been told.
Posted via RS Mobile

moomooCow 09-06-2010 07:43 PM

So even at a red light cops will still bust you for it? Before anyone repeats the law to me verbatim, I know what the law states, but I assumed there was some kind of leniency to it, like the speed limit does.

vafanculo 09-06-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moomooCow (Post 7094527)
So even at a red light cops will still bust you for it? Before anyone repeats the law to me verbatim, I know what the law states, but I assumed there was some kind of leniency to it, like the speed limit does.

I'm sure there is. He probably found a cop who wasn't lenient though.
Posted via RS Mobile

TOS'd 09-06-2010 08:29 PM

There shouldn't be any leniency for this law. It isn't that difficult to follow. People that get a ticket for this type of thing deserve it somehow. OP got a ticket because he had his phone in his hand. Your phone should be fixed onto something, not just sitting in a cup holder or your hand, if you plan on using it paired with a bluetooth device.

Lomac 09-06-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOS'd (Post 7094580)
There shouldn't be any leniency for this law. It isn't that difficult to follow. People that get a ticket for this type of thing deserve it somehow. OP got a ticket because he had his phone in his hand. Your phone should be fixed onto something, not just sitting in a cup holder or your hand, if you plan on using it paired with a bluetooth device.

Many cars don't have a space for you to fix a cell mount to the dash.

TOS'd 09-06-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 7094630)
Many cars don't have a space for you to fix a cell mount to the dash.

Then....buy one of those mount things, or a better bluetooth device so you can leave your phone in your pocket. Or a better solution, don't use your phone while you drive.

Jgresch 09-06-2010 09:41 PM

http://www.motifake.com/image/demoti...1233878025.jpg

gars 09-06-2010 10:18 PM

and with cell phones nowadays, if the other party ends the call, you don't stay connected, your phone automatically disconnects. there's no need to press no end button.

phones have an auto-answer feature as well, if you want.

FerrariEnzo 09-06-2010 10:29 PM

i dnt know why people are still complaining about this...

if you dont want a ticket, dont get caught or dont use it.. isnt it simple enough.
if you want to argue that other people are doing it, then they are lucky no cops are around....

Jgresch 09-06-2010 10:32 PM

Actually, a friend of mine was parked in his driveway talking on his cell phone when a cop drove by, pulled behind him and gave him a ticket lol.... He's fighting it of course, but it seemed a little ridiculous to me....

(Unless my friend is lying and was driving home or something and the cop followed him)

FerrariEnzo 09-06-2010 10:36 PM

the chances of seeing someone talking on a cell phone while in their own driveway is very little... so i call BS... was he in gear or something