REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #51
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
the hit tv series 24 would've probably sucked hard if 9/11 never happened.
I don't know...there was terrorism before 9/11 but it wasn't a household phrase and people weren't scared/paranoid about it all the time. There was very little in the way of homeland security.
Advertisement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #52
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I watched the whole thing live from beginning to end, thinking that I was only there 3 months prior.

Interesting fact: Jackie chan was supposed to film there that day, but cancelled due to location change. (!)
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #53
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
i remember the day clearly:

gr.11, about to head into health sciences class. I had seen the news coverage on TV before heading out the door only grasping that a plane had hit the WTC and that it had been done deliberately. what I had not yet grasped was how serious the situation was, and how it would change the world. being an arrogant, misinformed teenager, some friends/classmates and i laughed it off saying stupid shit like "they deserve it".

i think i had gone home during a spare block and during class the second plane had already crashed. it was about here that my reaction turned to "omg, wtf is happening here".

in response to that comment about "get over this already", you cannot give the same value to natural disasters and terrorist attacks. they're simply not the same; it's not a numbers game. and as mentioned earlier, people still mourn the events you mentioned in your post.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #54

the ghost face in the smoke still gives me the creeps ...

Old 09-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #55
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
my mom woke me up saying ww3 started or something like that; it was unbelieveable

we spent the early morning contacting family in NY (uncle has a restaurant nearby) a couple family members worked in the WTC (well 1 of them actually left a couple months earlier but we didnt know) and luckily for one his company (oddly?) had closed the office for that day

it was quite a shock and then i went to school (cant believe so many of you are damned kids that explains a lot though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil@rise View Post
You know how its changed our lifes
You can burn any religious book from any religious sect in the world but not the quran.
Thats how scared people are now and that proves how the extremist terrorist muslims have won.
try doing a public, well publicized burning of the Torah at say in Israel or Auschwitz (u'll be in prison so fast just for suggesting it)

hell try doing that with any religious texts in the same, hate filled, context as this latest Quran burning (after all there are videos of people burning the Quran on youtube and American soldiers flushing it down the toilet etc it's all context)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:42 PM   #56
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Grade 3 back then...I remember walking into my teacher's classroom when I saw the footage on TV. She had this devastated look on he face as the towers burned. I personally just watched, didn't know what to think.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #57
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
I think I was 3rd year at UBC... was oblivious to it on the bus ride there... just slept. But when I went to my first class, I think it was the commerce building, they had a little TV in the foyer area, and I started watching there...
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #58
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,148 Times in 262 Posts
i saw a special on the discovery channel just the other day.. there was this part where they were talking about when the building was on fire and everything was silent and all of a sudden all you could hear was this super loud slapping sound, it was apparently the sound of the people jumping out of the building and hitting the pavement, that was really disturbing and sad.. rip
2 n r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #59
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I was at YVR getting off the plane from Hong Kong.
BMW135i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #60
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Woke up at about 10 'cause a friend called me and told me to turn to CBC. Got a call about half an hour later from my shift supervisor (starbucks) saying "Don't come in to work, all North American Starbucks are closing; we're a high-profile american company."

Sat there the whole day and watched. Crazy shit.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #61
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Man you kids make me feel old.

I had flown into Charlotte NC the day before the attack and was at a client's site in the middle of nowhere Greenville NC. The client was in a panic (hysterical might have been a better word) saying that the WTC and Pentagon had been hit. I would end up being stuck there for 4 more days before flights resumed again.

I remember talking to a few coworkers who had family in NYC. People were definitely in a panic. They shut down our office (I was working in Denver, CO at the time) and sent everyone home that day.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:25 PM   #62
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,128 Times in 339 Posts
Always interested to hear peoples stories from that day that no one will ever forget.

I can remember that i just came into work at the time, and went to the bathroom and walked by the TV that was turned to the news and thought that it was some Hollywood movie. Then i came out and watched a bit more, and couldn't believe it. Talked to some people at work, and well had to get to work and do my job. Went home later on that day and watched all night long in amazement. I think at home in Vancouver somewhere i still have copies of the special edition paper that came out during the day, i should dig them up.

Did anyone get to watch that documentary on CBS or some american channel that was only shown once about this team that was doing a doco. on a New York fireman team and followed them along when they got called into the situation. They showed the firemen actually in the world trade towers, and you could hear people smashing against the ground who jumped out of the towers. Totally unreal, and sad show to watch. It was only shown on TV once in respect to the people that died that day.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:34 AM   #63
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Old 09-12-2010, 12:50 AM   #64
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostslut View Post
I think at home in Vancouver somewhere i still have copies of the special edition paper that came out during the day, i should dig them up.
Yeah, I've got that paper (and the one from the following day) as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostslut View Post
Did anyone get to watch that documentary on CBS or some american channel that was only shown once about this team that was doing a doco. on a New York fireman team and followed them along when they got called into the situation. They showed the firemen actually in the world trade towers, and you could hear people smashing against the ground who jumped out of the towers. Totally unreal, and sad show to watch. It was only shown on TV once in respect to the people that died that day.
I saw it. I think I've actually got it on VHS somewhere. It's actually a pretty neat documentary, considering everything.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:45 AM   #65
My homepage has been set to RS

Woke up to my alarm set to CKNW at 8:40 or so. Slapped the snooze pretty quick, but I managed to hear something like twin towers.. new york.. collapse.

Thought about it for a bit, then rolled my ass over and turned on CNN. It looked like a scene out of a movie. Nobody got work done that day.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:07 AM   #66
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
I was in elementary when 9/11 happened. Being a kid, I was just choked the Simpsons were replaced with news broadcasts.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #67
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
my mom woke me up saying ww3 started or something like that; it was unbelieveable

My dad woke me up that morning and said the same thing. He was quick to assume it was Saddam who did it.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #68
My homepage has been set to RS

i was up at my physics class and people just turned on the radio about this situation
and the teacher told us to stop listening to this radio
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:16 AM   #69
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
I remember I woke up, checked Revscene, and saw a thread titled something like "OMG THEY HIT THE PENTAGON TOO!"

That was a freaky day
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:09 AM   #70
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
I can't remember if I went to classes that day, but I did listen to the radio on my way to UBC.

I particularly remember the debates that I had with some people on this board about events that happened in the aftermath. I was a young and naive kid back then, so my views have certainly changed. Was it because of 9/11? It's hard to say.

I don't view 9/11 as an attack on our way of life - whatever that is. It was a political statement as much as it was about religion. At the end of the day, it's about power and it was a small group's way of saying, "Get your companies the fuck out of ours and let us run things the way we want them."
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #71
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I was back at home, have to work that morning. My alarm/radio went off and I was like wtf? I walk downstairs and my dad has CNN on. I'm like, did what I think just happen actually happen? He tells me ya, we watch for like 20 minutes and then the second plane hits the other tower.

Scary day, I to thought WW3 was on the horizon.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #72
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
wtf.. there someone falling down from there... NASTY... you wont see anything but red blood...
Old 09-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #73
Need to Seek Professional Help

Was watching a documentary last night about some of the events after 9/11. Apparently there was one small stairwell that protected a lot of the survivors. In the accounts of 2 of the rescue workers they were headed to the top of the stairwell and found a guy sitting on top of the rubble.

By the survivor account, wherever he was he just rode the rubble as it was all falling down and somehow ended up on top of it all pretty much ok. Crazy stuff.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #74
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Ending gave me chills.
_Hotsauce_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #75
The sound of inevitability

watching as the people dropped from buildings to the ground angers me to no end.. and makes my heart drop.

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote