REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Campus Forum

Campus Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The Student Life
School events, activities, rate your prof, students helping each other..

Old 11-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #2776
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
This one's really hard to deal with. In the team charter, I would set out clear expectations, and if anything comes up, you give them a warning (verbal, then written). And if it's really unbearable, and your program head allows it, you fire them. Or you just go to talk to your program head or instructor and ask how to deal with it.
Sadly, the group we're in, is not the one we have a team charter with.
Advertisement
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:28 PM   #2777
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,533 Times in 1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
Sadly, the group we're in, is not the one we have a team charter with.
In that case, you should talk to that person sooner than later. Feedback is usesless if it's after the fact. Nothing changes. You can avoid conflict, but you increase tensions and decrease trust.

Talk to the person about their performance, with specific cases, and use objective examples. If the person starts to act defensive, you should step back and talk about it over a night of sleep. Then, you should begin the second conversation by providing support, and then hear what they have to say before saying your points. Sometimes it's not that a person doesn't want to try, despite what they appear to be. Often, its that they misunderstand the task at hand, or they're hesitant on asking for help.

If all of these ideas don't work, take it to the instructor or program head. Tell them you've tried all these things including giving them support. They will give you instructions or take over from there.

Although it seems counter-intuitive to be nice in a situation like this, the best option is to give support, and follow up. Good luck
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #2778
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
^

All that sounded exactly like the OB textbook.

During our year we just kicked the dude outta the group with the profs help. The guy never showed up to any labs or lectures anyways which helped with the case. It resulted in everyone splitting his portion of the grade. I talked to the guy recently and he ended up going to the Disability Resource Center after he got kicked out of every group. Apparently he claimed to have anxiety and depression going to class, so he got a majority of the group work exempted and only had to do midterm and final.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #2779
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Anyone else see the signs in the parking meter booth. They're implementing a pay by plate system instead of the pay by spot. RIP to sharing parking or assuming spots are paid.

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #2780

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Saw like 5 ripped tickets today in the visitor's lot. I wonder if someone just ripped everyone's ticket.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 11-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #2781

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP700-4 View Post
Anyone else see the signs in the parking meter booth. They're implementing a pay by plate system instead of the pay by spot. RIP to sharing parking or assuming spots are paid.
Right. I was too busy to update you guys, but I was interviewed by broadcasting yesterday, who told me about the changes. They're doing pay by plate AND hourly rates. So people like me who are at school from 6am-10pm get fucked. And since they don't even print a reciept anymore, I don't think you can switch stalls, which is something ideal when you're here late.

I propose we come together and demand BCIT to listen to us. While that's not likely to happen, I think it's total bullshit that they're trying to "encourage" (read: force) people to bus to school. I'm not going to bus from Richmond, in my side of town, it'll take me at least 1.5hr one way. I think they should offer either cheap parking or a compass card. But not offer both, or at least give an option. They didn't even ASK students about how this will effect us, no questionnaire, no opportunity for debate. Bullshit.

- end rant
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2016, 06:39 PM   #2782

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
^

All that sounded exactly like the OB textbook.

During our year we just kicked the dude outta the group with the profs help. The guy never showed up to any labs or lectures anyways which helped with the case. It resulted in everyone splitting his portion of the grade. I talked to the guy recently and he ended up going to the Disability Resource Center after he got kicked out of every group. Apparently he claimed to have anxiety and depression going to class, so he got a majority of the group work exempted and only had to do midterm and final.
Sounds like I learned something from OB (2100) HAHAHA And I think my leadership class (ORGB 3600) discussed this too.

However, I only bring those points up because 1) it's true and works 2) it's the way that we've dealt with problems like this as prescribed by our program head.

Ironically, our program head didn't allow us to fire anyone, which is bullshit, considering guy never showed up to labs/lectures or did his group work. And when he did do group work, it was shit.

On the other hand, I learned from that experience that even if you're objective when giving feedback, (self-entitled shit heads like him) people will still be defensive and argue.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2016, 08:04 PM   #2783
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Wait a second, are they proposing to get rid of the fixed $5.25 and move to hourly? Complete fucking dick move, but what do you expect from Impark.

Gonna have to raise my car and park at shrine. Friend paid $60 for one month. After his pass expired he just displays his pass upside down every time he parks. Been working for over a year now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Right. I was too busy to update you guys, but I was interviewed by broadcasting yesterday, who told me about the changes. They're doing pay by plate AND hourly rates. So people like me who are at school from 6am-10pm get fucked. And since they don't even print a reciept anymore, I don't think you can switch stalls, which is something ideal when you're here late.

I propose we come together and demand BCIT to listen to us. While that's not likely to happen, I think it's total bullshit that they're trying to "encourage" (read: force) people to bus to school. I'm not going to bus from Richmond, in my side of town, it'll take me at least 1.5hr one way. I think they should offer either cheap parking or a compass card. But not offer both, or at least give an option. They didn't even ASK students about how this will effect us, no questionnaire, no opportunity for debate. Bullshit.

- end rant
maneetkaran is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2016, 08:14 PM   #2784
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I spend $400 each term on parking lol. Even UBC has semester/yearly deals and cheaper than BCIT. And we dont have parkades fuckking bullshit
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-22-2016, 09:18 PM   #2785

Will probably try to park for free, but if I get more than 2 tickets every week. I'll probably just park on willingdon and walk down.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 11-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #2786

2-Step and Parkades. will not resist...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon604 View Post
I spend $400 each term on parking lol. Even UBC has semester/yearly deals and cheaper than BCIT. And we dont have parkades fuckking bullshit
Old 11-23-2016, 10:59 AM   #2787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon604 View Post
They said that BCIT's planning to build a parkade, which is why parking rules are changing.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #2788

So my buddy that works at the Rix, his wrx got hit and run in the parking lot by the gym :/
This post thanked by:
Old 11-24-2016, 03:16 PM   #2789
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

There should be security cameras in each parking lot
anjewree is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-28-2016, 09:17 PM   #2790
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Whats the source on the increase in parking rates?
CaseyusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:34 PM   #2791

I was wondering which teacher drove that wrx. It's auto doe.

Time to start grinding out for finals. Starts in 9 days, but only 5 finals this time around.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 11-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #2792

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyusMaximus View Post
Whats the source on the increase in parking rates?
Broadcasting dept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
I was wondering which teacher drove that wrx. It's auto doe.

Time to start grinding out for finals. Starts in 9 days, but only 5 finals this time around.
the blue wrx?

1 trade show, 1 presentation today (tuesday), 1 presentation thursday, 3 reports friday.

2 finals next week (Mon/Fri). 2 reports on Friday

5 finals in finals week ??? LOL I think we've met the real reason why BCIT is hell
Old 11-29-2016, 12:07 AM   #2793

Yeah blue one.

Last two semesters I had 6 and 7. I also have CSC Exam after finals. I think it's doable. Just gotta time manage my next 10 weeks. Otherwise it will be hell.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 11-29-2016, 04:56 AM   #2794

I have yet to learn my lessons about time management.. I'd rather wash my car HAHA. That being said if this doesn't make any sense, I'm fucked with the two presentations/pitches today. #teamnosleep
Old 11-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #2795
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

So where else can we park? It's already shitty enough to pay ~$130 to park there per month, not down to start paying hourly lol.

www.instagram.com/yourdigitalrealtor
alwayslive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:28 PM   #2796

Is your vehicle lowered?

If not, as stated before. Park at shrine. 5 minute walk away from the rec/library. Pay for one month. $60. Then when your pass expires. Keep parking their but place you pass upside down. Free parking from their on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslive View Post
So where else can we park? It's already shitty enough to pay ~$130 to park there per month, not down to start paying hourly lol.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #2797
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Do you mean gizeh shrine?

www.instagram.com/yourdigitalrealtor
alwayslive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #2798

Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayslive View Post
Do you mean gizeh shrine?
Old 12-03-2016, 12:10 PM   #2799
RS Lurker, I don't post!

i never paid parking when I went to BCIT (a year ago). All I did was changing the plate after I graduated. A friend of my friend works for Impark and apparently they don't tow at BCIT.
oramac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #2800
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by oramac View Post
i never paid parking when I went to BCIT (a year ago). All I did was changing the plate after I graduated. A friend of my friend works for Impark and apparently they don't tow at BCIT.
That's not true, I've seen cars get towed and a few of my classmates have had their vehicles towed as well.