REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
I'm better than you.
 
b0unce. [?]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: East Van
Posts: 8,471
Thanked 3,055 Times in 654 Posts
I got pulled over...

So I was driving home just now around 10:30pm, in front of me was one of those black crown vics and right away I knew it was a cop. Not that I was breaking any laws to begin with, so I had nothing to worry about.
Anyways he pulls over for a second and waits for me to pass by him, then continues on the road. I didn't think much of it at first until I looked in the rear view mirror a couple times and I felt like he was sharking me when I made a few turns (this was my route going home). I turned a few times in a couple neighborhood streets and he would keep following me. When I pulled back onto the main road, he pulled me over after a block.
When he approached my car, I rolled down my windows to talk to him. I had no clue why I had gotten pulled over, I wasn't speeding, or swirving or had any mods to my car for him to harass me about. The police officer asks me if I had any illegal drugs in my car or if I had been taking any drugs tonight. I tell him no, and I ask him why I was pulled over in the first place. He responds by telling me it was a random inspection, take out his flash light and starts beaming around the inside of my car. He asked if this was my car, asked for my license, etc... typical questions I suppose.
So I'm wondering are cops allowed to pull you over for no reason? I mean, if he felt like I was driving poorly, or if I was breaking any laws, by all means do it. But he pulled me over and asked if I had any drugs, beamed a flashlight around my car, checked my papers and told me it was a random inspection.
Advertisement
__________________


'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]



FS: Active Autowerke F30 328/428 exhaust

FS: BNIB: BMW F30 Window Visor/Deflectors

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
rJZx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: bc
Posts: 1,482
Thanked 1,730 Times in 374 Posts
Cops can randomly pull you over and make up bullshit reasons why they pulled you over.
Just wondering i've been told that if right after you've been pulled over and you record it the cop will be very careful of what they do.... does anyone agree?
rJZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
Fafine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 3,245
Thanked 1,254 Times in 394 Posts
its normal
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
J-Chow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Richmond
Posts: 843
Thanked 372 Times in 110 Posts
If they have reasonable grounds to pull you over they will. Any anything we do while driving is considered reasonable enough. If you see the cop tailgating you, he's entering your License plate into the system for any conditions that have not been met.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:07 AM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,394
Thanked 2,057 Times in 211 Posts
^not entirely true

if the officer has probable cause to pull you over then its legal

but if you are following the speed limit, indicating when you need to, stopping at the right time and he pulls you over, you can ask him "do you have probable cause?" if he says its a random inspection that's total crap they have to give you a valid reason to pull you over

also if he has absolutely zero probable cause to pull you over and does, and asks you if he can search your vehicle, then are allowed to say "no", or "do you have a warrant" since there was no reason immediate reason to pull you over


do this if you like at your own risk, it will piss off some officers(like whoever is having a bad day)
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:56 AM   #6
RS controls my life!
 
l2_narain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 731
Thanked 66 Times in 23 Posts
You pretty much sign up for random vehicle inspections when you get your license to see if everything is in order. Just be straight and you'll be out in 5-10 minutes. Sometimes the unfortunate happens, such as No N sign you forgot about, or some rolling stop you did before but if you perfect your role, most likely you'll get off with a warning.
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:24 AM   #7
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,017
Thanked 17,634 Times in 5,341 Posts
You should be happy he's pulling over random people in your neighborhood. Had you been a criminal, he would have busted you. And that's one less scumbag In your area.

I have had a similar experience, and I told the officer i appreciated his work in keeping our streets safe.
Posted via RS Mobile
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:32 AM   #8
The "You'd Know" Moderator
 
impactX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Home
Posts: 20,885
Thanked 214 Times in 118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzz786786 View Post
^not entirely true

if the officer has probable cause to pull you over then its legal

but if you are following the speed limit, indicating when you need to, stopping at the right time and he pulls you over, you can ask him "do you have probable cause?" if he says its a random inspection that's total crap they have to give you a valid reason to pull you over

also if he has absolutely zero probable cause to pull you over and does, and asks you if he can search your vehicle, then are allowed to say "no", or "do you have a warrant" since there was no reason immediate reason to pull you over


do this if you like at your own risk, it will piss off some officers(like whoever is having a bad day)
Would you like to share where you got your law degree from?
__________________
08 CBR600RR
03 IS300

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:10 AM   #9
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 42,017
Thanked 17,634 Times in 5,341 Posts
LOL no kidding. Technically, I'm not sure, but I think they need some reason to pull you over. Usually it's a rolling stop, tail light, etc. If you don't have any drugs or weapons or warants, you will be fine. But if you start talking that "lawyer" shit, using words that are too big for you like "probable cause to pull me over", I guarantee you'll find your way into some trouble.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: richmond
Posts: 2,518
Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Cops aren't just road inspectors, I've been pulled over while walking aswell. Few questions, and on my way.

But if you keep a stick up your ass, the cop will just push it in even more.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,394
Thanked 2,057 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
Would you like to share where you got your law degree from?
i took criminology and intro to policing at kwantlen
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #12
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
Uncle Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: GTA
Posts: 960
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
An officer has the right to stop you for identification purpose, even randomly. It doesn't matter whether you are walking down the street or driving in your vehicle. If you are stopped and asked to identify yourself, by law you have to identify yourself and produce valid identification. Anything beyond that can get into different territory, which I won't discuss here.

It is very possible in the OP's case when the officer ran the plates the registered owner's name that came up on his screen was similar to someone who is in the CPIC system with a possible arrest warrant outstanding, person of interest, or the vehicle matched the description of a vehicle the police were looking for at the time. If that is the case, the officer would definitely pull you over.

It is also entirely possible it was a random stop. Regardless of whatever the case may be, you are always required to identify yourself.
Uncle Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:17 AM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,394
Thanked 2,057 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
LOL no kidding. Technically, I'm not sure, but I think they need some reason to pull you over. Usually it's a rolling stop, tail light, etc. If you don't have any drugs or weapons or warants, you will be fine. But if you start talking that "lawyer" shit, using words that are too big for you like "probable cause to pull me over", I guarantee you'll find your way into some trouble.
like i said, if you were pulled over for no reason, then it's not allowed, they have to have a valid reason

i also said that do it at your own risk cause it will piss off the officer in some cases, but it is true and you shouldn't be afraid to know your own rights

like the example above, he pulls you over and you don't have an N sign, but he didn't have a reason to pull you over in the first place, take the ticket, dispute it, if he shows up, your case is he had no reason to pull you over there for you would like the case thrown out

Last edited by bigzz786786; 09-15-2010 at 07:24 AM.
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #14
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,394
Thanked 2,057 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Benz View Post
An officer has the right to stop you for identification purpose, even randomly. It doesn't matter whether you are walking down the street or driving in your vehicle. If you are stopped and asked to identify yourself, by law you have to identify yourself and produce valid identification. Anything beyond that can get into different territory, which I won't discuss here.

It is very possible in the OP's case when the officer ran the plates the registered owner's name that came up on his screen was similar to someone who is in the CPIC system with a possible arrest warrant outstanding, person of interest, or the vehicle matched the description of a vehicle the police were looking for at the time. If that is the case, the officer would definitely pull you over.

It is also entirely possible it was a random stop. Regardless of whatever the case may be, you are always required to identify yourself.
yes, by law you do have to identify yourself but a random check is not permitted unless it is a road block or in a area that has had a recent crime, which is why you have the right ask why you are being pulled over, if he says no reason then that's not valid, if he says there was a break-in in the area or you car matches the description of a stolen vehicle then it is valid, but the officer said it's just a random check, i think the officer in this case is one of those guys who pulls you over and then look around your car and peak inside just hoping to find something to issue a ticket
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:51 AM   #15
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Maple Ridge
Posts: 654
Thanked 280 Times in 95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Benz View Post
An officer has the right to stop you for identification purpose, even randomly. It doesn't matter whether you are walking down the street or driving in your vehicle. If you are stopped and asked to identify yourself, by law you have to identify yourself and produce valid identification. Anything beyond that can get into different territory, which I won't discuss here.

It is very possible in the OP's case when the officer ran the plates the registered owner's name that came up on his screen was similar to someone who is in the CPIC system with a possible arrest warrant outstanding, person of interest, or the vehicle matched the description of a vehicle the police were looking for at the time. If that is the case, the officer would definitely pull you over.

It is also entirely possible it was a random stop. Regardless of whatever the case may be, you are always required to identify yourself.
I'm pretty sure that in Canada, you do NOT have to have legal identification to produce for anyone if you are simply outside, in a public place. Obviously driving is a different story, but having your ID on you is not a requirement for simply walking around or being in a public place as far as I know.

Iím pretty sure your thinking of some US states where that is a requirement.

Anyone here confirm?
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #16
I am grateful grapefruit
 
gars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,094
Thanked 831 Times in 392 Posts
Good Job Kwantlen.

All they need to say is it's a random check. They don't need to give any reason to pull you over. They're not allowed to search your car without a just cause though. All they can really do is what was done, ask for identification, and maybe shine a light around quickly.

it's different if he pulls you over and searches your car without just cause - searches it and find drugs. yes, there have been cases where this has been thrown out because a search was done without probable cause, but at the same time - good luck to you if you actually have something illegal in your car.

With random searches like these, they do find people with outstanding warrants, or find people who have had their licence suspended, yet they're still driving. I'im happy to spend a few minutes of my life, in order for scumbags like that to be found...
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #17
I'm better than you.
 
b0unce. [?]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: East Van
Posts: 8,471
Thanked 3,055 Times in 654 Posts
Right, I would completely understand if he told me my car matched the description of a stolen car in my area, or if i didn't display my L or N (if I had one), rolling stop, whatever it may be.
No, he didn't ask to search my car, he just beamed his flashlight around to see if there was anything out in plain sight i suppose.
Like i said, i didn't do anything wrong so i had nothing to hide. But i would have liked to known the reason for pulling me over in the first place. I feel like a "random inspection" isn't good enough. but i wasn't about to question his authority and drag things out any longer than it was since i had to take a leak real bad lol
__________________


'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]



FS: Active Autowerke F30 328/428 exhaust

FS: BNIB: BMW F30 Window Visor/Deflectors

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:42 AM   #18
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,394
Thanked 2,057 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
Good Job Kwantlen.

All they need to say is it's a random check. They don't need to give any reason to pull you over. They're not allowed to search your car without a just cause though. All they can really do is what was done, ask for identification, and maybe shine a light around quickly.

it's different if he pulls you over and searches your car without just cause - searches it and find drugs. yes, there have been cases where this has been thrown out because a search was done without probable cause, but at the same time - good luck to you if you actually have something illegal in your car.

With random searches like these, they do find people with outstanding warrants, or find people who have had their licence suspended, yet they're still driving. I'im happy to spend a few minutes of my life, in order for scumbags like that to be found...
a random search can't be pulling someone over and then saying "random search", random search is scanning random license plates and finding something to pull you over, but if its a road block or in the area of a crime then its allowed, its a pretty grey area
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #19
I'm better than you.
 
b0unce. [?]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: East Van
Posts: 8,471
Thanked 3,055 Times in 654 Posts
I mean, most of east van is considered a pretty bad area haha
__________________


'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]



FS: Active Autowerke F30 328/428 exhaust

FS: BNIB: BMW F30 Window Visor/Deflectors

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #20
I want to be a person and not an icon.
 
Vale46Rossi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mugello
Posts: 4,173
Thanked 5,283 Times in 892 Posts
In Canada, a person who is walking or hanging out on the street when a police asks for identification, YOU DO NOT have to produce it because in Canada we don't have a law that says we have to always carry identification on us.

For driving it's a different matter, this is because driving is a privilege and having identification is needed hence your Driver's License.

Also being pulled over, bigzz786786 you are wrong. In Canada a police can ask for identification + registration at anytime. They are allowed to do it. What you are thinking is American Law ie: Washington where they need to have reasonable grounds to pull you over.

In Canada an officer can ask for your license and registration at any given time as long as you are driving.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #21
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
 
Fafine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 3,245
Thanked 1,254 Times in 394 Posts
was it on kingsway when he pulled over for a sec and followed you?
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #22
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,394
Thanked 2,057 Times in 211 Posts
http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/0...eath-tests.htm

forget the alcohol part but it talks about probable cause to pull you over

this was in april of this year, doubt anything has changed since then
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #23
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
Uncle Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: GTA
Posts: 960
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
My apologies regarding the identification in public comment, though it's not entirely false.

There is no obligation to identify yourself in public to a police office, unless the person has committed an offence. If such a person does not identify themselves, it can be considered Obstruction of Justice, and the person can be charged as such.

Also what SteveDuang said about the driving bit is entirely true.
Uncle Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #24
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 7,486
Thanked 1,879 Times in 994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzz786786 View Post
http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/0...eath-tests.htm

forget the alcohol part but it talks about probable cause to pull you over

this was in april of this year, doubt anything has changed since then
Yes, everything you read from the media or on the intraweb must be true.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #25
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,394
Thanked 2,057 Times in 211 Posts
sorry OP, i looked through some more, and found this

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/0...ulled-over.htm

it basically says generally by canadian law they do need probable cause to pull you over
but there are provincial laws that go around that, so only certain places in canada still requires probable cause to pull you over but i guess for british columbia they dont need to

and SumAznGuy, the links are written by an actual lawyer trying to give legal advice to the community that we should know about
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net