REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   skate sharpening (https://www.revscene.net/forums/625799-skate-sharpening.html)

xxxrsxxx 09-24-2010 12:56 PM

skate sharpening

where do you guys get your skates sharpened? In the past, I've been going to sports exchange as I got a 10-pack but ran out. Please post cost if possible too.

Jgresch 09-24-2010 02:44 PM

What city? Cyclone taylors is good. Stay away from sportchek lol
Posted via RS Mobile

punkwax 09-24-2010 03:28 PM

Hockey Shop > anywhere else.

jello24 09-24-2010 04:59 PM

the hockey shop in surrey if i have time to go there, or if i'm at RIC i just get it done at Cyclone Taylor's...

Hurricane 09-26-2010 12:45 AM

Another for The Hockey Shop.

But any place that doesn't seem confused when u ask for a 1/2" cut seems to work. Speaking of which. If you are a decent skater, give a 1/2" cut a try, you just might like it. I think 5/8" is standard at most places.

murd0c 09-26-2010 12:52 AM

Hockey shop and it's all about the deep cut

Spidey 09-28-2010 07:11 AM

north van canlan rink has the best sharpening I have ever had.. but at 7 bucks a pop, and since I do not play out of there anymore... it is not an option... it literally feels like a hot knife in butter...

but i go to cyclone for good sharpening.. 1/2 hollow woot woot. and yes stay away from sport chek/mart!

xxxrsxxx 09-30-2010 01:12 PM

fyi I went back to sports exchange. However can you educate me on what 1/2 of 5/8 cut means?

1-Slicer-1 09-30-2010 08:16 PM

Deep Hollow (3/8, 1/2, 5/8 of an inch) allows for a more pronounced edge, which makes for tighter turns and more bite for stopping. The flipside is the deeper hollow makes the blade sink deeper into the ice causing more drag and less glide. Players with a deep hollow have to work harder because of the friction between ice and blade. The more pronounced edges of a deeper hollow may chip easier and require more maintenance. Players who maneuver in traffic or stop and start a lot may feel more secure with a little extra edge and may prefer a deeper hollow.

Flat/Shallow Hollow (3/4, 7/8, 1 inch) is more conducive to heavier players. The less-pronounced edge allows for more glide because the blade doesn’t sink as deeply into the ice. Players using less hollow will use less energy. A flatter hollow was greatly beneficial to my teammate and defensive partner Paul Coffey. He had one of the most efficient skating strides in the NHL. Paul always experimented with a very flat hollow, between 1 and 2 inches. The flatter hollow blades are easier to sharpen and need less maintenance. There certainly is a general misconception that sharp skates can only be achieved with a deep hollow. In the NHL, a player’s skate hollow is a personal preference based on trial and error and determined after many years of skating.

http://flexxcoach.files.wordpress.co...pg?w=412&h=150

Sauce: http://flexxcoach.wordpress.com/2009...te-sharpening/

Spidey 09-30-2010 09:47 PM

i prefer 1/2.. never tried anything less, but even 1/2 at times (depending on ice condition) may be a bit too slick.. i toggle between 1/2 and 7/16. thats just me though.. i like straight away speed and i am only 165lbs.

mickz 10-01-2010 12:24 AM

Anybody on here get their skates done with the Flat Bottom V system? Comments?

beetea 10-01-2010 12:32 AM

i do my own skates at cyclone taylors

Noir 10-01-2010 10:34 AM

Cyclone Taylor when I'm in Vancouver - The Hockey Shop when I'm in Surrey.

Tip for those of you who like regular maintenance for your skate edges: Get a season pass.

SumAznGuy 10-01-2010 12:04 PM

I've been experimenting with different hollow's and now that summer is over and the ice is harder, I find that 1/2 and 7/16 is too flat for my liking.

I also find that I have to sharpen the skates a lot more when I use a deeper cut because of the thinness of the edge and the harder ice.

Spidey 10-01-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nammerboi3 (Post 7127512)
i do my own skates at cyclone taylors

i get mine done by nammerboi3 :)

SumAznGuy 10-01-2010 02:30 PM

Where do I line up to get nammerboi3 to do my skates?

Spidey 10-01-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 7127960)
Where do I line up to get nammerboi3 to do my skates?

in his bedroom

SumAznGuy 10-01-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueG2 (Post 7127998)
in his bedroom

How long is the lineup? :D

Leopold Stotch 10-02-2010 12:06 AM

^ depends how close you stand to the guy in front of you .

UFO 10-04-2010 03:17 PM

Sport Chek :D

The Richmond Center/Park Royal/Langley locations do Flat Bottom V for the same price as regular. I got it done on 1 pair of skates and absolutely love the feel and predictability of it, but feel dropped off pretty dramatically after 4-5 outings. From what I've read, its fairly hard to screw up a FBV sharpening.

I'm currently trying to finish up my 10-pack from Sports Exchange. I've had some decent sharpens, and some not so good ones, nothing to write home about either way. I can usually go about 10 outings on regular sharpens at 1/2". I usually hate the way it feels for the first 1-2 games, but then its great for the next 7-8.

I'm in no way a good skater either, but found FBV helped my confidence on skates

TheSalesman 10-04-2010 03:46 PM

I tried the FBV at sportchek when it was free. To my surprise it worked out pretty well.
Over the years i'v been getting my skates cut at 1/4 - 2.5/8
The time I went to sportchek and asked for those cuts, they didn't know wtf I was talking about. I sharpened my skates every 1 or 2 ice times. I had the cyclone pass which made it really worth it. Sharpening at least once a week.
I will stick with cyclone though because of the pass.
Sportchek FBV is decent from my 1st experience and it was free but at $7 each sharpen, ill stick with the $45 pass.

beetea 10-04-2010 10:11 PM

sportchek is unreal, the sharpenings that i've seen from them scares me.

some kid brought in his skates and asked that we don't do it like sportchek and im like uhh let me take a look, sure they hooked up the flat bottom v but they only sharpened the middle of the blade.

so there was three inches from the toe of the skate and three inches from the heel of the skate that was left unsharpened. amazing stuff.

m3thods 10-05-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickz (Post 7127507)
Anybody on here get their skates done with the Flat Bottom V system? Comments?

I got them done at THS in Surrey. Subjectively, I like it. I get the glide of a 5/8s with the bite of a 1/2, which is perfect for me. I had to get it done about 3-4 times to get the right hollow for me:

first time- 5/8 - not enough bite on tight turns and starts, felt like skating in quicksand
second time - 1/2 - a bit too much bite, but definitely better than 5/8
third time- 9/16 - beautiful.

The great thing about FBV is that they seem to hold an edge much longer. Instead of sharpening every 2-3 skates, I'm on my 5th skate and probably thinking one more before I sharpen again.

Hope this helps. Oh and as a reference, I weigh ~175 lbs.

RayBot 10-05-2010 10:37 PM

#4 for the hockey shop.

mickz 10-06-2010 01:05 AM

Think I'm just going to stick with what works ($5 sharpenings at Cyclones.) I'd like to try FBV but I don't know who has a machine other than Sportchek? I haven't been to Sportchek for a sharpening ever since Minor Hockey and even then I knew they weren't doing it properly (burn marks all over the blades.)