REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #51
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
Um..... What university is it you got accepted to...... You should check out english x99 and 100 courses...
True that. Aren't many colleges are now called universities? Anyway, not that SFU/UBC is hard to get into. One would be a fool to think getting into some university is worth being rewarded. Now, if you get into Ivy League schools with scholarship, that's indeed some achievement.
Advertisement
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #52
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by !aznboi128 View Post
My parents are quite well off as well, that doesn't change anything. As soon as I Grad gr12 and went to bcit my parents wanted to buy me a new car (at that time I loved the Jetta GLI). But I told them no, I wanted to earn my car. Yes if I got it from them it's a reward, but I also know that if I was get that car I have to pay for a lot of things for it, maintance, gas, mods. So I wanted finished school, got myself a job and got my 1st car a 92 civic hatch then my 2nd car 99 accord. I'm not bragging I got 2 awesome cars. But the feeling of getting the cars is different then something given to you. You earned it rather then been given. That's the difference.

Like I said just my 2 cents. Some people have rough times just to get their 1st car. Being given a 30-64k car, "don't want to ask for 100k" serious?

Btw how old are you?
Our families are different, and yes i'm not proficient with english so bear with me. First, if i went to BCIT, my parents would litterally disown me. Even if i wanted to go. I understand that earning something by yourself is very rewarding, especially when it's this much money. The thing is, what is money to different classes of people? To many lower income families, 30k is a lot. This is the sum they dream of. To higher income families, 30k is chump change. If i were you, i would take that money and try to invest it. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for those who are actually suggesting what car i should be interested in, instead of bashing me for having money/ being spoiled.

edit*

For the university question:

Not everyone is as smart as they wanted to be. If university was so easy, than why isn't everyone in it? It might not be a challenge for you, but it is for many others. Just because you have no difficulties with it doesn't mean others don't
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #53
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
get a used is-f....give me 40k and ill fly down to L.A. and buy it for you
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nv...970930463.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...970928278.html
or my favorite the c63
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rc...919273960.html
(this one already has mods so your good to go) http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...902560320.html
you'll impress the girls with this

Last edited by ruthless; 09-27-2010 at 03:36 PM.
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
get a used is-f....give me 40k and ill fly down to L.A. and buy it for you
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nv...970930463.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...970928278.html
or my favorite the c63
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rc...919273960.html
(this one already has mods so your good to go) http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...902560320.html
only if you give pics of your wife
Old 09-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #55
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
So? You're not going to University? And it's really not all that hard, whatever you take simply requires you put the time into it.

And I've suddenly lost alot of respect for you in that last post... Earn it yourself

For example, I needed two new tires for my truck which cost me $500... My parents offered to help me out as I only work 2 days a week and fill my truck up every 4 days and have a drinking habit. I told them thanks, but no it's my truck i'll buy the tires.

I know that you prolly get like $1000 a week from your parents but the principal is the same... $500 to me right now is alot of money but the truck is my RESPONSIBILITY and i'm not going to ask my parents for anything unless I can't afford to have it run.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #56

i don't get money from my parents. i am going to university, they only pay for gas and food. I'm not saying i don't want to earn it yourself. But let's say you won the lottery or a prize. Would you accept it?
Old 09-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #57
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
^ I agree with GAB on this one..

why not get something used and more modest..?

while we're still young, why not just live with something more raw..?

say, an 04+ Sti.. or maybe even an evo 8 or 9.

or buy an ITR. cant go wrong with those. they depreciate so slow its unbelieveable.

if my parents offered me the same money for a car, I wouldnt exactly go all out on their budget.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #58

i would like an evo 8 or 9 or itr. Thing is my parents won't allow me to. They don't want me to drive those kind of cars. If they let me i would get an evo 9. Thought about that long long time ago. Chances of it happening is close to zero. Plus its manual so my family won't be able to drive it.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #59
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
17L-20L?? holy shit.. he must drive really bad?
i have the g35 and i get 14L/100km. and i live on Westwood plateau so i go up a fucking mountain at least once a day. 3.5L and 3.7L makes 3-6litre difference? (not sure)
my 335i also averages 14L/100km.
u and my family sound alike. i wanted the a lancer but they didnt approve of mitsu. already had a 335i cab. and they wanted AWD and something that can be bought out and used later. g35x seemed to be the perfect choice.
but sometimes i do feel that g35x lacks fun driving factor. but always good luxury feel.
weird how asian parents think.. i wanted a used g35 at first but they thought it was too heaty (coupe) I also asked for a lancer but they thought it was too much of a boy racer so i ended up getting a 335i sedan... lol. 14L/100km is not bad, i only manage to get 16L/100km.
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekin67835 View Post
i don't get money from my parents. i am going to university, they only pay for gas and food. I'm not saying i don't want to earn it yourself. But let's say you won the lottery or a prize. Would you accept it?
So your parents giving you a shit ton of money to spend is a game?

And what university?
Old 09-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #61
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Your saying you don't get money from your parents, but they pay for gas and food? Isn't that giving you money anyways to pay for that stuff.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #62

^ take off the wings / decal of the car for a day, and tell them its a Four door sedan / two door hatchback for a sensible and responsible young man.

dont think theyd be able to tell.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:56 PM   #63

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
i would like an evo 8 or 9 or itr. Thing is my parents won't allow me to. They don't want me to drive those kind of cars. If they let me i would get an evo 9. Thought about that long long time ago. Chances of it happening is close to zero. Plus its manual so my family won't be able to drive it.
I think the point that the people are trying to say is that, if you made your own damn money, you can buy whatever car you want (evo, STI, ITR, whatever you want) and your parents can't say NO because it's your own money your using.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #64

^ thats true.

parents cant say no if you bought the car YOURSELF with YOUR money.

as for the manual thing, if your sister wants to use it, get her to learn it. women driving stick would add hotness points by a lot. btw, pics..??

Old 09-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #65

lol actually my parents can still say no. I live under their roof and they pay for my schooling. So I can't decide on many things, unless i get out of school and have a job that can pay for my needs and upkeep. I see where all of you are coming from. I should treasure their money and not spend so much on a car, or in fact even use their money for a car. Different people, different situation. But thanks for the concerns and life lessons.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #66

So basically, you don't give a fuck?

And that's true, but you see my parents did the same thing.. Cept I still went and bought what I wanted, they weren't gonna willingly stop signing for my loans because they WANT me to go to school.

AND WHAT FUCKING UNI DO YOU GO TO?!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #67

if you really want to know.. ubc. does it matter though? and what do you mean by i don't give a fuck. If i didn't give a fuck, i probably wouldn't be going to school and be working or helping them run their business. no need to get so worked up on this shit. It's my life. I came looking for what car is good for a budget because this is a car forum.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #68

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/can-g...html?p=7092904
you're welcome gab
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #69

Quote:
lol actually my parents can still say no. I live under their roof and they pay for my schooling. So I can't decide on many things, unless i get out of school and have a job that can pay for my needs and upkeep. I see where all of you are coming from. I should treasure their money and not spend so much on a car, or in fact even use their money for a car. Different people, different situation. But thanks for the concerns and life lessons.
then let them decide then. drive whatever they want you to drive.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:13 PM   #70

G^^ood advice, my parents had a van I could've driven for a few years but instead I decided to buy a car and scrape by the whole time. If I had taken the shit mobile I would've been able to have a nice car now haha

The way I interpreted what you said. And it's not a big deal where you go to school, it's a big deal because I had to ask you multiple times. Answer my questions!

And I gave you my advice, honestly probably the best car for you. It's fast, it's "safe" (lol) and if there's an R model it'll be every better.

I'm surprised that you're surprised this happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
Thanks bro! haha
Old 09-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #71
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
when this thread first came up and had like 2 views.. i knew it would turn into a thread like this
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #72

LOL... not surprised that posting on rs would provide such feedback.

In all seriousness, thanks for the advice. Learn something new everyday right?

Sorry i didn't answer your question from before, didn't notice it and i drive my van to school from time to time. I also bus sometimes. We aren't getting anything less than 40k because my parents said so. So they told me to choose a car, which im still deciding. And when i say they are getting me a car, i should say it's half mine. They have legal entitlement of the car, and basically when i get a job, i will have to maintain it myself.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #73

Hmm, seems anything less than 40k is garbage. Now there's some logic for ya!

Fuck this. I've got a flight to plan for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpark View Post
when this thread first came up and had like 2 views.. i knew it would turn into a thread like this
Old 09-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Hmm, seems anything less than 40k is garbage. Now there's some logic for ya!

Fuck this. I've got a flight to plan for.

never said that. I said my parents said that. We have old hondas already. don't need another one. They see every thing we buy as a step in moving up the ladder. Including cars
Old 09-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #75

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Theres a reason this thread turned out like it did. You made it happen. You shouldn't have wored the first post the way you did, it made it say "Hey look, I'm spoiled as fuck, don't want to rape my parents wallet too bad."

You could have said, "my family is looking to purchase a car, our budget is about 40-50k. They want a new car, 4 dr, reliable yet sporty. I will sometimes be driving the car, so suggest things a new student would enjoy driving as well"

But instead you included things like "Get's chicks", "My sister already has a 335i", and "Don't want to be too spoiled"

Thats why you fail
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: