REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 10-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #26
I don't get it

yep, whenever we go out, none of my friends would order more than one drink if they have to drive, some wont even have 1 over a 1h dinner. Last night I was at the wedding and Im pretty sure no one there was driving over the limit, most people cabbed or had reliable DD.
It definatly puts a damper on things such as 3 beers after work with ur buddies but its all for a good cause and I feel like the law is working in terms of keeping borderline drunk drivers (those who will have 3 -4 drinks after work at a bar or at dinner) off the road.
Advertisement
DavidYeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #27
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

the new laws r crazy. its just not worth it.
billboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #28
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Bars close at 2:30 and busses end before 1:30. How the fuck does that make sense...

The gov't should make tanslink fucking extend their hours if they are gonna have these crazy laws.

Personally I have been watching what I drink if I am driving. Usually just beer, with water between drinks, and no more than 1 drink per hour. If I am planning to drink a lot, we will take the bus or cab.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #29
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

We rotate DDs when we go out for dinner/concerts and anyone's drinking. Who ever is the designated driver gets their meal paid for by who ever is drinking. It seems to be a good solution and everyone gets home safe.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #30
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
We rotate DDs when we go out for dinner/concerts and anyone's drinking. Who ever is the designated driver gets their meal paid for by who ever is drinking. It seems to be a good solution and everyone gets home safe.
This is a good idea, but my friends are all too cheap to do something like this
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
This is a good idea, but my friends are all too cheap to do something like this
LOL it actually doesn't end up costing anyone any more in the long run. Since there's about 5 of us who take turns so everyone takes their turn getting a free meal and everyone takes turns paying.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #32
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
on news 1130 they had a cop and a guy who was 5"9 260lb's drink and blow into the breathalizer

he drank 2 glasses of wine and blew a 0.045

i wont have anything more than 2 beers now ever and only with food, cant afford that shit
Well, wine is 14%-15%. 2 glasses (half bottle) is more than enough to get me pretty buzzed.

Quote:
Bars close at 2:30 and busses end before 1:30. How the fuck does that make sense...

The gov't should make tanslink fucking extend their hours if they are gonna have these crazy laws.

Personally I have been watching what I drink if I am driving. Usually just beer, with water between drinks, and no more than 1 drink per hour. If I am planning to drink a lot, we will take the bus or cab.
There are night buses that run until about 4:30, but only on the major routes (fortunately, I'm on one of them.)

I have friends who are heavy drinkers and they just end up sleeping in their cars until they sober up. You're free to park downtown until about 8 AM anyway.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #33
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

If only they made skytrains run until 5am Friday and Saturday. Please! That's all us alcoholics ask of you.
Posted via RS Mobile
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #34

Quote:
This sounds like an amazing fucking plan! Unfortunately, not all my buddies drive nor have a car. I'm pretty much turtle(entourage) in our group.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #35
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
Quote:
That's great and all, except if one day you decide to go to Lumiere, and the next day you decide to go to Denny's

2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.Rossi View Post
If only they made skytrains run until 5am Friday and Saturday. Please! That's all us alcoholics ask of you.
Posted via RS Mobile
I don't want to sound like Debbie Downer, but it's next to impossible to run Skytrain in the middle of the night because of the single track each way. There are a couple of diesel-powered cars that ride the rails in the middle of the night to perform maintenance and repairs. Also, I would hate to ride a train that isn't cleaned in the middle of the night the next day. The amount of trash and filth (sticky floors, booze, etc.) on the trains during the late runs is remarkable.

I always thought that the downtown yuppies who complained about the "B&T" (bridge and tunnel) crowd were simply prudes, but after taking the trains on Saturday nights for a couple of years, I can see where the sentiment comes from.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
That's great and all, except if one day you decide to go to Lumiere, and the next day you decide to go to Denny's

LOL. Yes well, if you're going to Denny's and getting to shit faced to drive your ass home you have serious issues!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #38
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
I've definitely cut it down and way more paranoid to drink anything and drive. 0.05 is way too easy to blow over that it would be retarded to have 2 beers with your dinner, be no where close to even being buzzed yet get fined, car impounded, licence suspended for it. The fact that your limit depends on so many things like weight, what you drank, what you've been eating or if you were even eating at all, and many otehr factors makes it a no brainer for me to either not drink at all or drink and taxi, transit, or get somebody else to drive.

Tapioca - I understand the good intent of sleeping in your car to sober up but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't it still considered drining and driving if you're drunk and in your car for any reason? Silly I know but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #39

^ I think it's only if your keys are in the ignition for it to be considered DUI? because you have the intent, you could argue that you were even sleeping how was i driving? but it would be your word against the cops with keys still in the ignition. I would play it safe and roll windows down, take keys out put it on the shifter and sleep in the back or passenger side. But enlighten me too

Rule 1: You do not talk about Fight Club. Rule 2: You do not talk about Fight Club.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:26 PM   #40

Quote:
^ I think it's only if your keys are in the ignition for it to be considered DUI? because you have the intent, you could argue that you were even sleeping how was i driving? but it would be your word against the cops with keys still in the ignition. I would play it safe and roll windows down, take keys out put it on the shifter and sleep in the back or passenger side. But enlighten me too
I couldn't find any information about how the law would be interpreted, but this seems like a pretty sensible way to interpret it.

I would never leave my keys in the ignition if I'm sleeping in the car anyway. A police officer is not going to wake you up anyway unless he has a reason to do so.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #41
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
^^
I'm going to have to sift through the Police Forum but I remember some other people saying that even if you have the keys on you it's considered a violation. In fact even if you were going to your trunk to get something while you are hammered it is a nono. Now once again I ain't no cop so don't know I just recall some RS people discussing it a while ago in the Police thread. I'll try digging through it tomorrow. Personally if it was true I think it's pretty BS. I can certainly understand if you have the keys in the ignition but to just have the keys on you period while going to or being in your vehicle seems pretty fucking wack to me.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #42
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
if i a fucking cop tried to give me a DUI for sleeping in my car i'd spend my fucking life savings fighting that shit and get as much media as possible involved, that would be unacceptable.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #43
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Unfortunately the cop can give you a DUI. Their defense is once they drive off whose to say you aren't going to drive off. Plus, with the keys on your body, you are technically in care and possession of a vehicle.

Just spewing some stuff I remember reading in that police forum thread.

Best to lock keys in trunk.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:45 AM   #44

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
fuck drinking less. i drink more and get sumone else to drive
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #45
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:

If your keys are anywhere in the car you can be charged with DUI, they don't need to be in the ignition or even on your person.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Well, wine is 14%-15%. 2 glasses (half bottle) is more than enough to get me pretty buzzed.
Two properly served glasses of wine is not half a bottle. Doesn't matter what the alcohol content % is, one glass of wine is the same as one regular beer or one single high ball.
Posted via RS Mobile
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
Unfortunately the cop can give you a DUI. Their defense is once they drive off whose to say you aren't going to drive off. Plus, with the keys on your body, you are technically in care and possession of a vehicle.

Just spewing some stuff I remember reading in that police forum thread.

Best to lock keys in trunk.
Posted via RS Mobile
That's BS. To win a case they need to prove intent. Having keys I'm my jacket pocket while I am laid out in the back seat is not intent. Just saying that I might drive when they leave is not enough. I might break into futureshop when no one is working, standing outside the store is not intent.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #48

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
^ hey don't shoot the messenger, lol
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I don't want to sound like Debbie Downer, but it's next to impossible to run Skytrain in the middle of the night because of the single track each way. There are a couple of diesel-powered cars that ride the rails in the middle of the night to perform maintenance and repairs. Also, I would hate to ride a train that isn't cleaned in the middle of the night the next day. The amount of trash and filth (sticky floors, booze, etc.) on the trains during the late runs is remarkable.

I always thought that the downtown yuppies who complained about the "B&T" (bridge and tunnel) crowd were simply prudes, but after taking the trains on Saturday nights for a couple of years, I can see where the sentiment comes from.
Yeah but that needs to change. Forget upgrading BC place let's bring our transit system in line with our growing population. More train lines going everywhere, more buses on the road like other major cities. With our drunk driving problem that spawned these new laws we should be able to justify a 24 hour skytrain service. It's true that the Tokyo Metro and London Tube close early 12-1am but they open around 5am, all that means is that you need to party all night. What time does the skytrain start anyways? If early it really needs to be door to door, this catch a train and then 3-4 connecting buses is BS!!! In New York the subway runs 24 hours but with modified late night routes. When I am in NY I walk the most and train a bit but after partying I just take a cab. Cabs are fast and cheap in NY, I can't say the same for here... Once I moved out of downtown taking cabs home costs me more than my booze at the bar. That's so wrong!!!

I like your comment about the B&T crowd, that's the primary reason why I don't hit the granville strip on fri and sat. For the longest time I would only go out from Sunday to Thursday. Much better times on those days, better and usually more local crowd too.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by skholla; 10-16-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #50
I don't get it

roadblocks are everywhere now. The cops are definitely enforcing the rule for the next little while so it's best to error on the side of caution.
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote