REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #26
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
I'm just speculating here, but I'm going to guess he's "upgraded" his lights to an illegal set of yellow-coloured HID's.

And if that's the case.. finally, some cop is giving out tickets for this. I'm sick and tired of being blinded by you ricers with your HID lights in stock reflector housings. I thought I was going to have to take issues into my own hands and drive around with a 1,000,000 candlepower spotlight to blind you back...

If that's not the case.. my bad
they are just regular 50w yellow halogens. but sa'll good

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
HID's DRL's won't fire up at 30% power. My guess is that he put JDM yellow bulbs for DRL's as well as his fogs and they were both on at the same time. I've stopped messing around with my lights. Attracts too much attention.
You guessed correct good sir
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #27
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,632 Posts
i'm quite curious about this myself as i am about to add a relay to activate my high beams for DRL. the bulbs are yellow and the relay will activate the high beams as DRL at 50% power.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #28
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiblue View Post
HID's DRL's won't fire up at 30% power.
Not all cars drive the DRL's at 30% though
Old 10-11-2010, 01:41 AM   #29
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
I'm just speculating here, but I'm going to guess he's "upgraded" his lights to an illegal set of yellow-coloured HID's.

And if that's the case.. finally, some cop is giving out tickets for this. I'm sick and tired of being blinded by you ricers with your HID lights in stock reflector housings. I thought I was going to have to take issues into my own hands and drive around with a 1,000,000 candlepower spotlight to blind you back...

I saw some 6000K HID DRL's on a 07/08 TL-S. They are bright white and no hassle.

Only down side is the person driving infront of him.
Drift_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #30
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

And anyone in oncoming traffic...
Old 10-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #31
Banned (BBM)

been running yellow drl for 5 years never had a problem

just bad luck tho, richmond cops will pick on a vehicle for anything and everything, too much time on their hands
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #32
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I've been running 3000K HID fogs (which are yellow) for years now. No problems at all. I only turn them on if its raining or if its foggy outside
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #33
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

here's a specific example that's got me thinking
g35 coupe
stock dual filament h4 is the dtrl, fog light and highbeam all in one.
would switching to a yellow h4 be illegal?

just from the responses on the thread it seems like what the law is and what the cop does is not always in line

i guess its just not even worth doing just because it gives them an excuse to pull you over... i do live in richmond afterall

Last edited by Matlock-gtR; 11-06-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Matlock-gtR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #34
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

daytime running lamps canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsali View Post
my fogs come on with my park lights are on. I turn them on quite a bit around dawn/ dusk cause its a nice colour set-up. never had a problem for years till now...
Please visit u tube weblink to see pix and comments about Daytime running lamps

if the link wont load copy and paste the link into the web browser

retired vehicle inspector
rubenoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #35

Daytime running lamps in Canada from ret. veh. insp.

Please visit u tube weblink to see pix and comments on DRL used in canada
if link will not play copy and paste in your web browser

Old 01-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #36

Daytime running lamps and fog lamps

Our 2007 ford focus has some improvements in the lighting system

the Daytime running lamps operate in the low beam circuit at half brillance automatically

The main light switch offers the following options normal high and low beam operation through the light switch via the dimmer switch

the driver may select low beam and add fog lamps as and when desired

the driver can select park lamps and then add fog lamps alone to meet atmospheric conditions and get away from light spatter back from the fog

The tail light work in the park position along with fog lamps

The only time the tail lamps do not operate in in the daytime running lamps are in automatic position and the headlamp switch has not been used to ensure the tail lights are lit

we need to remember to turn on the park lights later in the afternoon or when the weather is overcast otherwise there will be no lamp illumination on the rear of the vehicle ( we are happy with the installation which allows us to meet the BC regulations)
Old 01-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #37
...on a mission....

Quote:

Just mount a landing light from a cessna behind your grill.....hit switch when required! I KNOW for a fact it works REAL well!
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #38
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
FYI if you plan on modding your factory lights in any way..

General lighting requirements

4.02 (1) A vehicle on a highway must only be equipped with and use lamps, reflectors or other illuminating devices authorized by this Division or authorized in writing by the director.

(2) A vehicle on a highway must be equipped with lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture.

(3) All lamps, lamp bulbs and reflectors required or permitted by this Division must comply with

(a) the approved standards established by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) and the applicable SAE standards,

(b) the conditions of use described in this Division, and

(c) the requirements of Table 1 of the Schedule to this Division.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #39

there are some important things that we as driver's of automobile,s need to practice in order to respect the eye's of oncoming
driver's in nightime driving situations Fog lamps are supplied on many newer vehicles however these should not be used in clear weather and or nightime situations Because there is an increase of lighting being projected from the front of our vehicles towards the eyes of the other approaching driver,s Most vehicles now have the ability built in to the vehicle to allow operation of the fog lamps alone and the operation of rear vehicle tailamp.s and front park lamps, most common sense and properly written Motor Vehicle regulations will allow the use of fog lamps in place of the low beam lamps Because of lamps are normally being aimed lower so as to better peer under the fog, use of low and high beam is sometimes useless in foggy conditions because of the white light glowing backwards off the fog moisture particles into the eyes of the vehicle driver, amber colored fog lamps seem to work better because of less light spatter back into the eye,s of the driver using the fog lamps and the amber colored light is easier on the eyes of the oncoming drivers
The motor Vehicle regulations need to be re written to allow law enforcement to issue citaton's to drivers that drive around with fog lamps lit in clear weather or at nightime when the weather is clear.
Auxillary driving lamp's must be operated from the high beam light operation only so that the added light operates when the most seeing distance is required ahead of the vehicle at night, and to ensure that the auxillary driving lamps cannot be operated on Low beam operation to protect the eye's of the oncoming driver's
Frequent road side police Vehicle inspection's are required to catch and correct improper wiring and switching that allow the lights to be operated in a manner that decrease,s public safety and allows a disrespect to the eye's of the oncomimg driver's and allow a blinding headlamp situation that can create road rage and set up a head on collision accident waiting to occur
Some of the early Daytime Running lamp.s installed on vehicles allow the daytime running lamps to be lit in the daytime and then at the nightime they are called fog lamps and or Auxillary driving lamps and the operator has no means of shutting the lamps off
to respect the eyes of oncoming motorist's and or meet properly written and safe Motor Vehicle regulations that are supposed to be there for the protection of all drivers you and I
there is a great need to ensure that all vehicles have their headlamp alignment inspected in the following conditions
(1) when the unit is new fresh from the factory
(2) any time weight has been added to the vehicle ie. Canopy. winch, tool box, fuel tank, welder
or a deck that is used for carrying weight
(3) when the unit is used for towing trailers,
(4) anytime repairs are completed to the suspension of vehicle ( new springs etc. accident's)
(5) when the unit ages and there is settlement of the suspension ( 3-5 years)

as drivers we have the responsibility dim our lights when meeting oncoming vehicles, and when following vehicles to prevent our headlamps from blinding other's who share the roadway system
as a matter of common courtesy and to lower the risk's of creating accident's
Old 01-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #40
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Ye gads man! have you ever heard of a paragraph? I mean, other than the second one. It's relatively easy on the eyes.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2015, 01:11 AM   #41
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
bump...in case anyone was looking for the source

Quote:
(45) A daytime running lamp shall be white, yellow or white to yellow, in accordance with sections 3.1.3, 3.1.2 or 3.1.3.1, respectively, of SAE Standard J578, Color Specification (May 1988).
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...e-17.html#h-34

thinking of putting in DOT-approved pure yellow DRLs for increased visibility to other motorists. They are city/parking lights (separate bulbs from high beams but is in the same housing)...but hopefully it won't drown out the amber signals.

something like:

Spoiler!

From my understanding, high beam bulbs can legally only be white coloured

Last edited by twitchyzero; 01-31-2015 at 01:35 AM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: